Dismantling: This Does Not Make Sense

CaptKaspar

its IRL stuff but makes no impact on gameplay.

sorry

Using screws for carpentry wouldn't have a big impact on gameplay? Don't know what game you're playing, but nails are the universal currency of this game IMO. They're the single most valuable item since they never replenish and they're needed for nearly everything you want to do with respects to building and defense. Once the nail supply is used up, they're gone. Most other resources are replenish-able.

(BTW zombies should occasionally drop nails. Hypothetically, if you were to imagine other people also trying to survive like my character is doing and were using nails much my like character is doing, they occasionally might have nails on them when bitten and turned to zombies. Just like my character's corpse reanimating would have nails on him.)

Using screws would allow us to build defenses temporarily and dismantle them quietly before moving onto different locations. This would realistically allow us to reclaim the materials used.

Ever wanted to move an established safe house to a better area, but didn't want to because of the waste of resources?

It would also solve the immersion breaking aspect of doing something that does not make sense.

So I think it would have a pretty decent impact on gameplay, at least for the more resource calculating types anyways.

sorry

Note to self, do not steal Kaspars nails in MP lol yeah I totally agree, I think it would be pretty low on the priority list and doing things like improving and balancing things realistically will come closer to 1.0

I like the idea of using screws to build temp barricades and structures. We do this all the time in work to create little bits and bobs that hold tools or material on a roof. Still I could go further and say that they should add a small chance to recover used nails based on your carpentry skill. The amount or percentage of nails received should be higher with a higher skill. Driving nails in straight and taking them out again the same way is totally feasible for someone with the proficiency to do so, just don't tell the GC or health and safety what you're doing and you're good to go lol

"Using screws for carpentry wouldn't have a big impact on gameplay? Don't know what game you're playing, but nails are the universal currency of this game IMO. They're the single most valuable item since they never replenish and they're needed for nearly everything you want to do with respects to building and defense. Once the nail supply is used up, they're gone. Most other resources are replenish-able."

- Finite nails made on purpose. use loot respawn settings if disagreed. Zombies dropping nails are ridiculous

Most of the bases have water barrels, walls, door and crate and thats it.

We need much more building objects before talking about screw system. Im ok with using screw in furniture, but its gonna be movable soon so no point in that.

Besides lossless building leads to level up exploit and and brings feeling that some things can be undone in this game. Thats one way ticket bro. This is a story of your death and you gonna die nailless.

No offence here. Just an opinion.

p.s. you should really try to apply screw to wooden board just with screwdriver.  Its gonna be fun I promise.

p.p.s. according to my exp screws break much more often than nails when you dismantle objects. Nails bend a lot but still can be reused while screws juct break right below head if you manage to apply enough strenght at all

"Using screws for carpentry wouldn't have a big impact on gameplay? Don't know what game you're playing, but nails are the universal currency of this game IMO. They're the single most valuable item since they never replenish and they're needed for nearly everything you want to do with respects to building and defense. Once the nail supply is used up, they're gone. Most other resources are replenish-able."

- Finite nails made on purpose. use loot respawn settings if disagreed. Zombies dropping nails are ridiculous

We need much more building objects before talking about screw system. Im ok with using screw in furniture, but its gonna be movable soon so no point in that.

Besides lossless building leads to level up exploit and and brings feeling that some things can be undone in this game. Thats one way ticket bro. This is a story of your death and you gonna die nailless.

p.s. you should really try to apply screw to wooden board just with screwdriver.  Its gonna be fun I promise.

p.p.s. according to my exp screws break much more often than nails when you dismantle objects. Nails bend a lot but still can be reused while screws juct break right below head if you manage to apply enough strenght at all

screws do seem to dull but i have used the same screw for about 4-5 different projects in a row over time (i needed that kind and there was only on, and i ended up getting the piece from the previous project that i no longer used.) still i could see there being a use for screws.

I gave a perfectly plausible explanation why occasionally a zombie would have nails on them. My character does, therefore its plausible that sometimes other people would too. If my character died and revived as a zombie, there would be at least one zombie out there with nails on it. I am assuming that not all the zombies out there died at the same time and that a few of them tried to survive. It can be a rare occurrence like finding an axe or a baseball bat.

I understand that reusing materials could be exploited for XP, but currently you can just saw an endless renewable supply of logs to the same effect. I am not trying to argue a basis of commonality, and maybe that exploit should be fixed as well, but I am just saying I don't need resources to endlessly exploit carpentry XP anyways. So, having nails or not having nails won't change that.

PS I wouldn't call it fun. Yes a nail would be quicker during construction. I've had to screw plenty of screws into projects when my power-drill and spare batteries unfortunately were dead at inopportune times. Power-drills are also very common tools here in the US. I'd be surprised if a house on average did not have one. These would be plausible and realistic to add to speed up construction/dismantling of objects.

PPS Yes screws do occasionally break, but so do nails. If a nail is recovered and not straightened perfectly then it loses a lot of its integrity and you can't use it for any heavy hammering, like if you were trying to hastily hammer up barricades during a zombie apocalypse.

TL:DR

Screws should be used for anything that you might possibly want to dismantle in the future. Nails should be used for anything you want to be permanent. You can build anything with either, but only one can be dismantled and you recover MOST of what you used to create it.

Zombies dropping nails are ridiculous

I often see nails on the ground in urban areas, which means people already drop nails. If they were to become zombies then they might continue to drop nails (letting you call them rediculous), or just keep them and someone rummaging through their posessions could take them. I usually pick up nails off the ground. If I became a zombie then there would likely be nails on me.

I often see nails on the ground in urban areas, which means people already drop nails. If they were to become zombies then they might continue to drop nails (letting you call them rediculous), or just keep them and someone rummaging through their posessions could take them. I usually pick up nails off the ground. If I became a zombie then there would likely be nails on me.

same here. just don't keep them in your back pocket and sit down. 

So thats why in old RPGs you got 5 golds coins from each dead rat !! That makes perfect sense now.

So thats why in old RPGs you got 5 golds coins from each dead rat !! That makes perfect sense now.

Well they were probably giant poisonous sewer rats that you found the gold on. Everyone knows that in giant rat lore, the sewer rats are the ones who had the strongest attraction to gold. Makes sense to me that they would have gold coins on them after they swallowed them for safe keeping.

Well they were probably giant poisonous sewer rats that you found the gold on. Everyone knows that in giant rat lore, the sewer rats are the ones who had the strongest attraction to gold. Makes sense to me that they would have gold coins on them after they swallowed them for safe keeping.

so having a pet rat would be a better safe then an actually safe since no one would ever know...

afaik there is no zomboe lore about zombies longing for nails.

Anyway this topic is about dismantling stuf, no renewable nail source.

"I suggest that we can build items with both screws and nails, and can only dismantle items that we made with screws. If we built it with nails, its gotta be destroyed."

afaik there is no zomboe lore about zombies longing for nails.

Anyway this topic is about dismantling stuf, no renewable nail source.

"I suggest that we can build items with both screws and nails, and can only dismantle items that we made with screws. If we built it with nails, its gotta be destroyed."

dude. if the people have nails on them before infection then yea. it works.

Dude, I have never had nails on me. EVER. Maybe there is something wrong with me, I dont know. Gotta see my doctor soon, some medications and I'll start to carry nails around, just like all normal people do.

p.s. maybe once. but even then that was nine inch nails cd album

Dude, I have never had nails on me. EVER. Maybe there is something wrong with me, I dont know. Gotta see my doctor soon, some medications and I'll start to carry nails around, just like all normal people do.

well its more along the line if you hold them in pockets waiting or working on protects over time so you just have them on you. only other thought is if they grabbed it trying to prep.

Has your character in PZ ever had nails on them? Has your character ever died from zombies in PZ? When your character reanimates there would be nails on his/her corpse. Just like how you sometimes find pistols, ammo, axes, baseball bats, vitamins, beta blockers, etc. These are all items that characters in the game regularly have on them. Its not plausible to think that someone who had nails on them for all the same reasons that your character does in game died by zombies and reanimated? You have died with nails in your pockets and your corpse reanimates. 

Give me one good plausible explanation why not a single corpse would have nails on them, other than that you IRL almost never put nails in your pocket.

This discussion has nothing to do with zombies collecting nails. It is a logical discussion that since characters in this game often have nails on their person, that their reanimated corpses after zombies killed them, would have nails on them as well. Furthermore multiple users on these forums have said that they also often have nails on them IRL. 

Alright, I've got a good one: because it'd encourage you to farm zombies for nails.

It's bad enough that with lucky you can farm them for axes and bullets.

Having nails in your pocket is a great way to stab yourself, incidentally. Buy a tool belt, unless you're a fan of tenantus shots. /shop class lecture

Gotta be destroyed? I don't think so.

All you have to do is use a hammer/ wonderbar/ cat's paw, planks can be re-usable but you WILL bend the nails tho.

well not always. if you put them in crooked they will come out straight sometimes... not perfectly straight but still, straight enough to use without having to reforge them.

... If you have the means to remove a nail, odds are you also have the means to straighten it again. It's very easy to do. 

Unless you've basically bent the nail in half, you can recover it with a little patience. 

You're more likely to split the wood than break a nail. 

Regarding screws in manual build constructions; I'd kill for a good manual drill. I could make do with a decent awl and a set of chisels. 

... If you have the means to remove a nail, odds are you also have the means to straighten it again. It's very easy to do. 

Unless you've basically bent the nail in half, you can recover it with a little patience. 

You're more likely to split the wood than break a nail. 

Regarding screws in manual build constructions; I'd kill for a good manual drill. I could make do with a decent awl and a set of chisels. 

power tools would be nice in general.

(BTW zombies should occasionally drop nails. Hypothetically, if you were to imagine other people also trying to survive like my character is doing and were using nails much my like character is doing, they occasionally might have nails on them when bitten and turned to zombies. Just like my character's corpse reanimating would have nails on him.)

They actually do, but it's about a 20% chance for dropping 2-5 nails.