Updated Additional Skill Books Mod

Plognark

I found that Pravus's Additional Skill Book Mod was a bit out of date (last worked with Build 28), so I went and updated it for Build 32. Also added a few new books and took out some redundant ones.

http://pz-mods.net/weapons-items/AdditionalSkillBooksMod2/

Anyway, first mod, first post, etc. I've been following this game since the very first release, and just got back into it and sort of obsessed recently. Hydrocraft inspired me to start updating some older mods that appear to be abandoned, and maybe try making a few of my own :)

I played around with some more flavorful names on the foraging books, using this list instead of the normal beginner/intermediate/advanced/expert/master progression.

Cub Scout Handbook

Boy Scout Handbook

Eagle Scout Handbook

Survivalist's Guide

Ranger Manual

Open to any ideas for other more flavorful names.

For some of the new books I changed the naming format to something like "First Aid: Expert" instead of "Expert First Aid". Easier to differentiate in a list of books when there are a half dozen that say Expert/Master etc. at the start of the name.

I played around with some more flavorful names on the foraging books, using this list instead of the normal beginner/intermediate/advanced/expert/master progression.

Cub Scout Handbook

Boy Scout Handbook

Eagle Scout Handbook

Survivalist's Guide

Ranger Manual

Open to any ideas for other more flavorful names.

[...]

Hey Welcome dear Zomboid :) I wish you find all the amazin' moments you seek here ! :D

I would like to know what exactly do your books do please ?  :huh:eg; boost % n what, % time to read, where we could find these, etc  ^_^

Thanks ! 

This is amazing! I hope the devs add something like this offically in the game. Always thought Aiming, Reloading, Blunt/Blade Accuracy should have rare skill books with less multipliers than the other skills.

Again, this wasn't my idea originally, I just updated and expanded on a mod that Pravus created. I don't know if they're still active or not. Here's the original version that I tried using and found did not work with Build 32.

http://pz-mods.net/weapons-items/AdditionalSkillBooksMod/

Between build 28 and 32 they changed how books are listed in the item files a little bit, so at first I just fixed Pravus's scripts to get them working again, but then I decided to add more in.

The books in this mod work exactly like the vanilla books; each one grants a 3x modifier for 2 skill ranks, ranging from beginner on up through master.

They spawn in the same locations and at the same rates as the other skill books, so your best bet is bookshelves in houses or bookstores.

This is amazing! I hope the devs add something like this offically in the game. Always thought Aiming, Reloading, Blunt/Blade Accuracy should have rare skill books with less multipliers than the other skills.

Yeah, I had considered something like that too. For now I'm keeping the behavior consistent for all skill books. I didn't add books for skills like sneak, sprint, etc. They don't seem like the kind of things you can accelerate learning how to do just by reading.

Does this mod work in multiplayer and with Hydrocraft? I have correctly installed it but I havn't been able to find a single book, in multiplayer nor in single player.

It works with Hydrocraft; I've been using it with that mod pretty much the whole time.

For multiplayer, AFAIK, the host and clients would all need to be running it.

I noticed that it does send a lot of messages in the console regarding not being able to load the books. Here's an example of of of the logs:

-----------------------------------------

STACK TRACE
function: rollItem -- file: ItemPicker.lua line # 180
function: fillContainerType -- file: ItemPicker.lua line # 117
function: fillContainer -- file: ItemPicker.lua line # 61
ERROR: ItemContainer.AddItem: can't find AdditionalBooks.BookReloading4
-------------------------------------------------------------
attempted index: getType of non-table: null

There is a lot more than that. I think one for each book. I shall send the whole log  it if you need it for debugging purposes.But I don't tend to use forums so I don't know how to format it so It doesn't fill up the page.

I noticed that it does send a lot of messages in the console regarding not being able to load the books. Here's an example of of of the logs:

STACK TRACE
function: rollItem -- file: ItemPicker.lua line # 180
function: fillContainerType -- file: ItemPicker.lua line # 117
function: fillContainer -- file: ItemPicker.lua line # 61
ERROR: ItemContainer.AddItem: can't find AdditionalBooks.BookReloading4
-------------------------------------------------------------
attempted index: getType of non-table: null

There is a lot more than that. I think one for each book. I shall send the whole log  it if you need it for debugging purposes.But I don't tend to use forums so I don't know how to format it so It doesn't fill up the page.

Thank you, I'll take a look at it. I did some testing and found the same thing this morning.

• 2 weeks later...

Found another error in the lua files the Electrial books are listed as AdditionalBooks2.Electrical1, AdditionalBooks2.Electrical2, etc. They should be: AdditionalBooks2.BookElectrical1, AdditionalBooks2.BookElectrical2, AdditionalBooks2.BookElectrical3, AdditionalBooks2.BookElectrical4, and AdditionalBooks2.BookElectrical5

EDIT: Also the comment line (/****** New books added by Plognark) seems to bug everything after it if you don't add a / after it for some reason, at least it does for me anyway. (/****** New books added by Plognark/)

EDIT2: The SkillTrained = Electronics should be SkillTrained = Electrical in the Electrical books script. I think?

EDIT3: Nope the comment line seems to need to be removed completely or it bugs the First Aid 1 book. Also the problem with the Electrical skill book is that in the XP lua is that Perks.Electrical should be Perks.Electricity

Edited by False_Meridian