If you add televisions, radios, npcs, cars etc, it would be nice to be able to choose the start of the apocalypse as a start date, were you would be having a pre set amount of $$$ to spend depending on your job and such. That there would be food, hardware and other kinds of stores that you can buy stuff from. That you can try to prepare yourself and your family (if you can have one) before the zeds take over. That would nail the feeling of a real apocalypse. You would start of hearing that this new disease has spread to your town and within a day or so, the zombies would've taken over. It would be supercool to see!

First of all welcome to the forum. second starting before the apocalypse is a big no. please check out the rules before you post next time. here is a link to the rules. 

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/192-commonly-suggested-suggestions-read-before-posting/

Once again welcome to the forums and i hope to hear any other great ideas you may have.

What are you first stating is different from the explanation, starting from before the outbreak it's a confirmed no from the devs, now, if we take the first line of what you said (starting at the beginning of the outbreak) that "might" be possible, dunno, I'm just saying.

And welcome to the forums

If you add televisions, radios, npcs, cars etc, it would be nice to be able to choose the start of the apocalypse as a start date, were you would be having a pre set amount of $$$ to spend depending on your job and such. That there would be food, hardware and other kinds of stores that you can buy stuff from. That you can try to prepare yourself and your family (if you can have one) before the zeds take over. That would nail the feeling of a real apocalypse. You would start of hearing that this new disease has spread to your town and within a day or so, the zombies would've taken over. It would be supercool to see!

That would be a grace period, also do you really think players will spend $$$ in the game?

Players would go like this in the day 0: Axe>saw>nails>hammer>shotgun>ammo>food>fuel

If there was a grace period, i would metagame the game so fucking hard that when a considerable number of zombies are in the game (lets say first week), i would have everything set up in a way i would never lose.

Well, I know that starting prior to the apocalypse is a definite NO, but one of the part of your suggestion DOES sound interesting, and that is spending a certain amount of money on various stuff before outbreak hits.

Let's say that you get a "text adventure" scenario right before the start of the game (similar to how character creation works in, say, Vampire: The Masquerade bloodlines).
It informs you that before the outbreak you've been working as an X, and had an income of Y. You had a chance to collect money for a specific thing, like doing a full re-work of your house, or buying a bunch of tools for repairs, or buying a full gardening set etc. That is before the all the hell was set loose. That way you get to determine which set of items you start with. Specific professions are allowed specific sets or additional items within an otherwise normal set.

Later on you could add another variable that determines your start conditions - what family you had and where they were before the outbreak hit. But I'll leave this until the NPC's are reintroduced. Either way, this feature doesn't fall under the "start pre-apocalypse", but still an interesting one to overlook!

Long answer:

IRL its gonna be IPod or home loan or you will pay for school or some other non-apocalyptic shtuff.

There is a great danger of metagaming because finding axe and saw is pretty essential, everyone would buy those, not a full re-work of your house, or shotgun unless its PVP KOS server.

What blows one mind in this game is that you can't eat money. Economy is gone. Abundance of resources and no social protection at all. Go and get what you want if you can, but now you have to swing your axe not your credit card. (gave me an idea to add money to game just to start campfires and such, could be fun)

So its a very debatable, because character generation alone considered to be metagaming.

On the other hand random starter kit is an option, but then again if you have it why don't other people have ? Oh wait ! its in the game. random loot around town is what people had before shit hit the fan.

Short answer:

should be balanced

Maybe work the professions some more into the game. 

Shall we say you start as a carpenter so in your toolshed there are some extra planks, nails, hammer and a screwdriver.

Police-officer: Start with a pistol and some ammo.

Fire-man: Have an axe.

And so on for the other professions.

Also maybe a different starting house on each proffesion.

Divide the jobs into high-, middle- and low-income. High income, bigger house (maybe wall)

Middle: normal house

Low: trailer park

Shall we say you start as a carpenter so in your toolshed there are some extra planks, nails, hammer and a screwdriver.

Police-officer: Start with a pistol and some ammo.

That sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Fire-man: Have an axe.

I'd imagine they don't bring it back at home.

Divide the jobs into high-, middle- and low-income. High income, bigger house (maybe wall)

Middle: normal house

Low: trailer park

I haven't played enough characters to notice if there was any profession related differences for the starting point (except for one doc who started at the clinic), but that would be pretty cool.