Expeditions

ChaosLegion

The way I see it, it is a in-gmae mechanics that allws you to travel to a small secluded areas outside of main area. Exit points could be set on highways at the map border.

Place you travel to is a 1 cell or less if possible map which is randomly chosen among pool of dosen  (or possibly hundreds) hand made maps (we do have that map editor now), they even could be community made. Places like lake cabin or picnik area or gas station etc. Really small town with a single pharmacy at most. You can haul only that much anyway.

Zombie settings could be completely random each time. When you exit map and return to main area it resets and there is no way to return exactly to this location. So no remote bases. Random events fallout-style are an option.

The reason behind expeditions is to bring randomness and new way to gather stuff you need to survive.

It is also the only way to live relatively long and prosperous with loot respawn turned off.

Resources you need for expeditions are debatable and irrelevant at this stage: food, water, tent, camp fire kit something like that.

Good idea right now, great idea after build 33 is released so the community can get involved in mapping.

There could be a submission & approval system, where people could send their expeditions maps to the devs and the best ones would be directly added, or voted by the community to get integrated in the random expeditions choices.

I see it as a high risk/high reward action. People sharing the same safehouse could send a group of theirs for a definite time out of the map. No possibilities to help if things go south, but if it works, highly valuable loot - why not unique loot ? I they get killed there, no one would ever know until someone realises they've been gone for too long and won't come back.

I wouldn't put a "no return" option, though. It actually would be interesting if people could sent a one or two-person expedition to scout a random expedition map on their first trip. See how many zombies, potential resources, shelters, then come back and decide if it's worth sending more people. You should have the option to come back to the expedition maps you've already visited, but zombies need to be reset.

The only thing I can't figure out is whether these places are shared by differents groups playing on the same server or not. I don't know if it's technically possible. Like, group 1 has already visited place A during a random expedition. Group 2 picks a random expedition and is sent to place A. Is place A completely reset and independent from the group which is visiting it, or does it saves what's already been taken ? Option 2 would be great considering two enemy groups could meet each other because they're looting the same area at the same time (much like what would happen on the main map).

Wow, ChaosLegion, you inspired me ^^

imo area should be flushed for server resource saving and to avoid base building in that spot. I saw it like an instance in MMO. Go fight grab leave. Maybe some chance to get to the same spot where someone already is. But it should be reeeeeally low chance. Just to make it even more dangerous and unpredictable. Maps generated could have corresponding errosion level and rare random NPCs if we ever get those.

For MP its gonna be difficult codewise but single player is more doable

p.s. timer for horde attack to keep players on the move ?

Yeah, I agree with the flushing, as long as it's really justified by technical reasons. If doable, persistent expedition maps would be great. And I didn't mention it but any building-related action would be disabled: you can craft, you cannot build. They're two different menus and UI, this part shouldn't be a coding problem.

I like the timer idea, it would make expeditions a bit like challenges. Looters would have to choose quickly and wisely what they think is worth taking. But if the map is flushed every time, there's no use for the option to come back and finish the looting. Well, I guess that would be up to the devs anyway. But overall, nice ideas here.