Surviving the winter. what you do?

Navarome

So i just reached December on the world im playing. after 4 character death, my 5 th character have been alive for a month, and this is the first time im playing on winter. i tried to google some information but there isnt much.

my main concern is to don't die from cold when im sleeping, if thats even possible

i barricaded all windows and closed their curtains, i read somewhere it helps. 

so do i have to spent 3 months around the campfire or i can be more flexible during the winter?

So i just reached December on the world im playing. after 4 character death, my 5 th character have been alive for a month, and this is the first time im playing on winter. i tried to google some information but there isnt much.

my main concern is to don't die from cold when im sleeping, if thats even possible

so do i have to spent 3 months around the campfire or i can be more flexible during the winter?

I just play winter like a Bear Grylls simulator.

Sit around the campfire, fight off the occasional zed, live near a river, and sometimes go looting.

I just play winter like a Bear Grylls simulator.

Sit around the campfire, fight off the occasional zed, live near a river, and sometimes go looting.

ahaha, yes. i guess it have to be quick looting since sleeping away may cause freezing death.

but i wonder if its possible to get warmer by staying near a barbecue grill or a oven.

not many awnsers, propably most people dont make very far :P

It's considered a win if you make it a year. Think about that.

As it stands? As above. Find a river, hopefully have the supplies you need and all the books to match. Just make sure you were incredibly active in the previous months to have the base to stand on. Foraging and fishing will keep you alive as all you have left are canned foods, and whatever didn't expire. 

Tip - make a 3x3 ring/ one spot open in the middle of sand/earth so you don't burn the place down.

It's considered a win if you make it a year. Think about that.

As it stands? As above. Find a river, hopefully have the supplies you need and all the books to match. Just make sure you were incredibly active in the previous months to have the base to stand on. Foraging and fishing will keep you alive as all you have left are canned foods, and whatever didn't expire. 

Tip - make a 3x3 ring/ one spot open in the middle of sand/earth so you don't burn the place down.

i guess i got a pretty good start , unployed profession = chance to start in motel.

i imediatly looted the food store and hardware store and runed to a safe house (i previously studied the map )... so a good start.

my only concern was not having a stupid death like dying from cold while sleeping lol, i will make some experiments to see what happens, thanks for the tips.

foragin doesnt work on winter, i mean it doesnt give any food, only wood and stone

If you played default survival settings you should have started in July which means that you should easily have enough food to winter out any situation? 4-5 months of looting should enable you to survive anything. If looting continues to go like it has been going for me I could probably survive a month long fever right now and by winter it will be way way more than that.

I think the only thing that the cold affects right now is ???movement speed and item transfer speed??? Not even sure if you can die from the cold yet or if that has been fully implemented, but like a lot of the traits and professions I doubt it's in working order.

Just tested this and yeah its only movement speed that's currently affected by the cold.

Making a gravel pit is a great idea, would be nice to have a campfire in a building

If you played default survival settings you should have started in July which means that you should easily have enough food to winter out any situation? 4-5 months of looting should enable you to survive anything. If looting continues to go like it has been going for me I could probably survive a month long fever right now and by winter it will be way way more than that.

I think the only thing that the cold affects right now is ???movement speed and item transfer speed??? Not even sure if you can die from the cold yet or if that has been fully implemented, but like a lot of the traits and professions I doubt it's in working order.

Just tested this and yeah its only movement speed that's currently affected by the cold.

Making a gravel pit is a great idea, would be nice to have a campfire in a building

yes, im playing on a normal survival world.

right now my house is isolated from cold, and only from 1 am to 7 am i get a bit of cold (stage1) and if i go outside stage2. but i have been smashing zombies in the town during the night and got only stage1 of cold.

yes, i have 2 crates of food and 2 crates of guns. i think fishing was nerfed, I rarely catch anything mayby its because its cold or because i have 0 fishing skill.

atm im planning on raiding pizzaria and picnic area.

i have alternate routes to explore since the zombies gather in paths i walk too much. 

my campfire in on a sand area so its ok. :)

there's waaay to many zombies in the high school area, lol its seems the undead like to be educated.

I tested out how the cold system works and you can't die directly from being cold. Here's the settings I used Sandbox - No zombies - Temp, Very Cold - No clothes. A lot of the moodles are only really good for RP purposes and for giving us a good sense of what to watch out for when they are functional.

Indoor farming :P ICE FISHING :) Wear a sweater or get the hydrocraft mod and wear a 25 temp. jacket

I tested out how the cold system works and you can't die directly from being cold. Here's the settings I used Sandbox - No zombies - Temp, Very Cold - No clothes. A lot of the moodles are only really good for RP purposes and for giving us a good sense of what to watch out for when they are functional.

good to know i can't die from cold, still cold isnt afecting much now. im more worried about hordes in crucial passage points.

Indoor farming :P ICE FISHING :) Wear a sweater or get the hydrocraft mod and wear a 25 temp. jacket

well i have the tool to make holes in the ice, but its not usable. :D

my rules are no mods and always survival mode :) but thanks for the tips

good to know i can't die from cold, still cold isnt afecting much now. im more worried about hordes in crucial passage points.

you don't need mods to go 'ice fishing' just grab your fishing gear and go to the lake :P

you don't need mods to go 'ice fishing' just grab your fishing gear and go to the lake :P

right now its better for me to use my time to train foraging than fishing since i dont have the recipe to repair the rod line and zero skill points. my catches are almost none, and since i cant repair them i will end with a half skill point and some fishes.

slow learner+not starting with this skill = 55% xp penalty on fishing lel

Oh.... another tip for you, use the fishing nets and leave them in the lake, go check on them twice a day youll get some lil fishies :P not much but sometimes you could get 10 of them, 10 fishies x -6hunger = two meals :P

Oh.... another tip for you, use the fishing nets and leave them in the lake, go check on them twice a day youll get some lil fishies :P not much but sometimes you could get 10 of them, 10 fishies x -6hunger = two meals :P

oh i do have 3 nets and i know eth recipe .  i only eat when the moddle peckish appears so its likes 10 meals to me :D

Also, you can use those "lil fishies" to catch bigger fish like large pike. Very nice upgrade for the angler inclined survivor :)

What about trapping?

I read in that other trapping thread that you can catch birds any season?

my trapping skill isnt even 1, but im catching rats sucefully in winter and when i reach level 1 i wil try the snare trap

Also, you can use those "lil fishies" to catch bigger fish like large pike. Very nice upgrade for the angler inclined survivor :)

i know , i have memorized almost all wiki :D

I'm assuming fresh food spoils slower in the winter time because of the dropped temperature? Kind of a random gameplay theory, but I've been looking into it. Wondering if somebody in this thread has considered the thought.

yeah, i wondered that too, but the wiki says nothing about. still my farming activities stoped since its almost january and its a waste of seeds. i will start farming again in March

I'm assuming fresh food spoils slower in the winter time because of the dropped temperature? Kind of a random gameplay theory, but I've been looking into it. Wondering if somebody in this thread has considered the thought.

yeah, i wondered that too, but the wiki says nothing about. still my farming activities stoped since its almost january and its a waste of seeds. i will start farming again in March

I remember a time back in the day my UI broke and it showed all of the technical stats for every amount of food, temperature was one of the stats. Probably related to decay.

You should survive the winter no problem, unless your neighbors come over for supper :P

oh i do have 3 nets and i know eth recipe .  i only eat when the moddle peckish appears so its likes 10 meals to me :D

You should survive the winter no problem, unless your neighbors come over for supper :P

1- im training my carpenty on the lake cabin. all i have to do is put the traps in the morning , forage until very tired modle, then saw/cut tress with stone axes or normal axes . And in the end of the day retrieve the traps.

2 - repeat until level 10

3 - ????

4 - profit

I'm fairly certain that's not included at this time. I've played a few games through the winter, never noticed my food in storage turning blue like they were in a fridge, or that they lasted any longer than usual. The only changes to food temp I've ever noticed is from refrigeration and cooking heat sources.

1- im training my carpenty on the lake cabin. all i have to do is put the traps in the morning , forage until very tired modle, then saw/cut tress with stone axes or normal axes . And in the end of the day retrieve the traps.

2 - repeat until level 10

3 - ????

4 - profit

Blow some zedz :D

if survival is on the line,food wise,snare trap is a bad idea.

Stick trap,bait with worms,and catch birds.This is highly effective and can be done multiple times a day.With a single trap ,i once caught 3 birds in a single day.

Also, you now need to find the recipe for traps,you no longer get to know how to make them free....got to hunt up a magazine for hunting (or have taken the hunter trait)