Getting bitten shouldn't always end with death.

Adamiks

So... My character got bitten by a crawler (i hate them so much! ;D), like 5 secs after this i cleaned the wound using meds, in general i used EVERYTHING what is in this game that can help (also food). My point is - why i get infected? All these meds should stop the infection... This would be cool if character could have 50% to not be infected if he clean the wound after he get bitten.

Goodbye bad world  :cry:

Anyway i will see my character as a zombie! Weee!!!!

EDIT

Ok, i was fool, this should stay like it is now.

I think Amputation WOULD be useless, if TIS would change PZ Lore a bit, because of its Brooks/Romero roots. Brooks/Romero Lore suggests that after one heartbeat the virus is spread all over your body. So amputation would just slow the infection a little bit-not worth it. 

Holy Shit I used would three times.

I think Amputation WOULD be useless, if TIS would change PZ Lore a bit, because of its Brooks/Romero roots. Brooks/Romero Lore suggests that after one heartbeat the virus is spread all over your body. So amputation would just slow the infection a little bit-not worth it. 

I don't think that after a 1/2 second(s) blood from your foot will be in your heart/other body part.

PZ isn't completly on Romero/Brooks lore, it has his own little lore, its only orientated on this lores.

Well I don't think that a virus can reanimate a corpse, let it roam on the street, finding food while clustering in groups of zombies ;)

Actually.... Zombies don't need to be corpses at all. Maybe this virus don't exactly kill your body, but kill you? You = part of your brain, without this you would be a... zombie? Of course zombies in PZ are rotting, but maybe because virus slow metabolism so much that some parts of the body are just rotting?

Anyway, zombies or not, corpses or not, virus or not - heart in PZ should work like heart in real life, because players are still alive and they are humans.

Well, it takes approximately (in theory) 45s for your blood to go through your whole body. Now think of it : you get bitten, you kill the zed, you put a tourniquet on your limb, then you cut it trying not to pass out. Or maybe someone does it for you. If we assume we're dealing with "that portion of contaminated blood running through your veins", I think it's much enough time to infect the majority of the body. Or the whole body, methinks.

As said before, I've read somewhere else that you have a 25% chance of infection with scratches and it goes up to 95% when bitten. Your chance not to die is already there, it's all up to you to avoid any zed-related injuries.

And believe me, I hate crawlers too. Lost my last (and best so far) character because of a crawler bite while I was ground & pounding him.

As for the killing the body or the mind, I don't know Brooks' lore but in the Walking Dead it's clearly said it's some sort of virus killing the brain, then reanimating the basic instincts. If zombies rot, it's because they're slowly starving. But this is not the topic here ^^

Think of all the zombie based flicks out there. Whats in common? -> A VIRUS, a extremely fierce and strong pathogen that is INCURABLE and very fast. Now think of the zombie who bit your foot, his saliva enters your wound as he bites. Maybe he even has blood in his mouth, which is a VERY EFFECTIVE way of transmitting a deadly pathogen.

So why do we die in PZ? because zombies transmit upon there blood, saliva or bits of their skin and/or nails  (scratches,) into your System. The blood, saliva, skin and nails have an Active Virus in them and it is transferred into your blood stream.

Scratches why the 25%, imo, ? because when a zombie scratches you there are key factors taken into account. Do they break through the skin deep enough to reach the bloodstream? did they leave a bit infected skin from under their nails in your bloodstream? did their nails break and enter the bloodstream?  if so, you're infected. if not, you're that lucky 75%er.

This makes total sense :)

Back onto what you said, I disagree. A bite should kill you. It's a game where you died and you have to accept it. I mean, you'll probably get scratched at least 3 times before getting bitten. Your character is fast and can sneak around. Getting damage from a slow zombie is either by carelessness or unluckiness. If you want to survive, just run and hide. Don't fight. A bite is your ultimatum and something you should definitely avoid.

Now on the crawler, avoid it if there are other zombies around. If it's alone, run past it then stay behind it while hitting it. The crawlers turns like a bus and cannot hit behind it.

Well, on cure and other stuff, I think that there shouldn't be a cure but I suggest a suppressant or a delay for the virus. Something like Zombrex or Antizin (from other games) that will delay zombification. Something like a secret science facility would be added and if you take one of the suppressants, your zombification symptoms will be delayed for a day. If you get around 30 of them, you'll survive for a month. Maybe helicopter crashes or supply drops will be events in game and you can get more of them as well as weapons and ammo.

#1..sudden emergency amputation in the field is likely to do 3 things, induce sudden traumatic shock to the body, have a high chance of major blood loss, and prevent you from being able to move at all while the horde closes in and you are trying to cope with the first 2 things...and that's without you even attempting to tie off the veins and arteries. i won't even get into the possibilities for infection, gangrene and other lovely consequences. simply put, amputation is NOT a cure for being bitten.

#2..a bite from a zombie introduces the saliva, bacteria and whatever other nastiness is inside a living corpses mouth into the bloodstream, just as a "Wet" bite from a venomous snake does. in either case, you cannot physically move fast enough to prevent it from spreading throughout the body once it enters the bloodstream.

#3..the cause of the outbreak is and will always be a mystery. we don't know if it is a virus, bacteria, voodoo spell, or any other possible means. because of that, and because the Devs have already made this decision, there will NEVER be a cure

Now on the crawler, avoid it if there are other zombies around. If it's alone, run past it then stay behind it while hitting it. The crawlers turns like a bus and cannot hit behind it.

He get me, when i though i killed him. I was fighing with other zombies when this mutherfucker bite me, it was like second (it looks that she bite me when animation started or like second after) - i was unlucky.

He get me, when i though i killed him. I was fighing with other zombies when this mutherfucker bite me, it was like second (it looks that she bite me when animation started or like second after) - i was unlucky.

Not sure if I'll believe that cause if it died, it would stop all animations (except the knockback animation bug) and it won't hit you. It's probably another zombie that bit you.

#3..the cause of the outbreak is and will always be a mystery. we don't know if it is a virus, bacteria, voodoo spell, or any other possible means. because of that, and because the Devs have already made this decision, there will NEVER be a cure

Unless if a place that hasn't been hit was aware and started researching. Yes, it's all a mystery as the game has no background on how it started nor what kind of mumbo jumbo that causes reanimation on corpses. It might be added soon though as they are starting to add traces of the outbreak in the next build. TVs and radios included. Let's hope they add a backstory on how the outbreak started. :)

Not sure if I'll believe that cause if it died, it would stop all animations (except the knockback animation bug) and it won't hit you. It's probably another zombie that bit you.

There was animations and everything, but the point is that she bit me almost in that same moment when she got up (kind of... when she "changed" to a crawler). Also i get bitten in the foot and there was only one crawler.

Unless if a place that hasn't been hit was aware and started researching. Yes, it's all a mystery as the game has no background on how it started nor what kind of mumbo jumbo that causes reanimation on corpses. It might be added soon though as they are starting to add traces of the outbreak in the next build. TVs and radios included. Let's hope they add a backstory on how the outbreak started. :)

I'm sure TIS will never reveal the true cause of the outbreak. We'll get descriptions of the ensuing chaos and speculation from the TV and radio broadcasts. Once NPCs are reintroduced, they'll recall rumours of how the outbreak started, but that's all they'll be. Rumours passed from survivor to survivor. Nothing concrete so we're left to our own imaginations.

There should never be a cure/vaccine/temporary fix/magic potion that prevents or delays zombification either. It's not necessary. It would just invite people to abuse the system and live forever. It takes away all necessity to be careful whilst looting or deciding which battles to fight or run away from. The fact one mistake, one lapse in judgement, one piece of misfortune can mean curtains is what separates Zomboid from the other amateur zombie games. Other developers add ridiculous remedies like Antizin/Zombrex because they don't have the balls to say "1 bite and goodnight". I'd be so angry to see Project Zomboid become like every other zombie game.

#1..sudden emergency amputation in the field is likely to do 3 things, induce sudden traumatic shock to the body, have a high chance of major blood loss, and prevent you from being able to move at all while the horde closes in and you are trying to cope with the first 2 things...and that's without you even attempting to tie off the veins and arteries. i won't even get into the possibilities for infection, gangrene and other lovely consequences. simply put, amputation is NOT a cure for being bitten.

#2..a bite from a zombie introduces the saliva, bacteria and whatever other nastiness is inside a living corpses mouth into the bloodstream, just as a "Wet" bite from a venomous snake does. in either case, you cannot physically move fast enough to prevent it from spreading throughout the body once it enters the bloodstream.

#1 Damned if you do attempt amputation, damned if you don't. Might as well give it a try...

#3 It's caused from an early version of the Y2K bug, duh... :)

If anyone is wondering what people mean by Romero and Brooks lore, I think Romero started making zombies popular in media, and Max Brooks Wrote World War Z THE BOOK (not the movie) world war Z and the zombie survival guide he wrote goes into extreme detail on how the zombies act.

If anyone is wondering what people mean by Romero and Brooks lore, I think Romero started making zombies popular in media, and Max Brooks Wrote World War Z THE BOOK (not the movie) world war Z and the zombie survival guide he wrote goes into extreme detail on how the zombies act.

his book he wrote was very very bad to say the least. this is my opinion but when it says you should listen to the governments laws and use loud guns for a few shamblers, its pretty bad. It does have some good points but that's pretty basic knowledge. (sorry, just really dislike that book)

As for the biological aspects of "get bitten, get infected because it spreads through blloodstream", actually the first defense of your body is bleeding: blood is at a higher pressure than atmosphere so if you get a wound any infectious agent is more likely to get expelled with the blood flow going out than spreading inside. This is why we don't get septicemia at every cut or scratch IRL and the principle used in Level4 labs to prevent infectious agents from spreading outside (the labs are under less pressure than normal atmospheric). So I guess amputation should be an option since you'll have some time (depending on how deep the bite) before the infection spreads. but I think it is already in the "maybe" list ? (edit: it is) Plus it should require INSANE luck or medical skills not to die from it.

That said, I feel that bite resulting in >90% but not 100% chance of death is already pretty cool and realistic. No disease has a 100% kill rate and, in my opinion, the fact that a bite is an almost certain death is what makes the game great: to survive you HAVE TO to be cautious all the time, no error is allowed.

As for the biological aspects of "get bitten, get infected because it spreads through blloodstream", actually the first defense of your body is bleeding: blood is at a higher pressure than atmosphere so if you get a wound any infectious agent is more likely to get expelled with the blood flow going out than spreading inside. This is why we don't get septicemia at every cut or scratch IRL and the principle used in Level4 labs to prevent infectious agents from spreading outside (the labs are under less pressure than normal atmospheric). So I guess amputation should be an option since you'll have some time (depending on how deep the bite) before the infection spreads. but I think it is already in the "maybe" list ? (edit: it is) Plus it should require INSANE luck or medical skills not to die from it.

That said, I feel that bite resulting in >90% but not 100% chance of death is already pretty cool and realistic. No disease has a 100% kill rate and, in my opinion, the fact that a bite is an almost certain death is what makes the game great: to survive you HAVE TO to be cautious all the time, no error is allowed.

i completely agree but lowering it a little bit would be nice as well.