Game doesn't run on windows 10

EUDOXIO

Question

Hi, i just installed windows 10, and when i open Zomboid, the game "prompt" window closes right here http://i.imgur.com/gGInfFr.png and nothing happens after, i've tried running as admin and all the compatibility modes, both with Release and IWBUMS and its allways the same.

Also tried to delete the Options.ini in the User/zomboid folder.

And, i just reinstalled the Video drivers and it Works fine again.

Sorry for the post, and thanks for making PZ more awesome every day :)

12 answers to this question

I would suggest everyone to not use Windows 10 now, because a lot of games can don't work, because it's a new system.

^ what he says... I'd wait until Windows 10 is officially released this Autumn... And Direct X12 should be released around there also ! :D :D

I haven't tried Win10... can't you right-click and go to the Project Zomboid.exe properties and set it to run in windows 8 compatability mode??  :huh:  ^_^ 

Did a little research. (Another game which uses the same OpenGL / Graphics library, Minecraft, an example topic with the same error. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_devices/minecraft-is-not-working-on-windows-10-technical/96b25142-3af4-48b6-8a3d-dd34993e0d72?auth=1)

It sounds like either LWJGL needs to update to support Windows 10, or Windows 10 needs a little more work on their OpenGL legacy support. Either way, This game is not the only one having this issue, and I'll put my bets that the LWJGL (Light-Weight Java Graphics Library) team will have a fix out for this releatively soon.  

Did a little research. (Another game which uses the same OpenGL / Graphics library, Minecraft, an example topic with the same error. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_devices/minecraft-is-not-working-on-windows-10-technical/96b25142-3af4-48b6-8a3d-dd34993e0d72?auth=1)

It sounds like either LWJGL needs to update to support Windows 10, or Windows 10 needs a little more work on their OpenGL legacy support. Either way, This game is not the only one having this issue, and I'll put my bets that the LWJGL (Light-Weight Java Graphics Library) team will have a fix out for this releatively soon.

It's not Windows or Minecraft's fault that Intel often has shit driver support.

It's not Windows or Minecraft's fault that Intel often has shit driver support.

I hope you realized that I wasn't blaming another game for a library's problems. LWJGL has native libraries (Java's way of allowing programs to run faster with hardware-level speeds), with the cost of having to tailor those extensions for different versions of an operating system. I will gladly state that this is more of an issue with LWJGL, although it's not entirely their responsibility. Windows has been known for its legacy support, allowing programs as old as 95, 98, 2000, etc, be able to run on more modern operating systems. Since 7, Windows has been less lenient on older programs, and Windows 10 is no exception. Unfortunately, because OpenGL is left to be interpretated by both hardware such as Intel, and operating systems like Windows, It's hard to tell who is really at fault. Fortunately, LWJGL is pretty fast with fixing issues that come along like this. 

tldr; Windows 10 is new, and LWJGL is probably already working on a solution, or possibly already has one. 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=Intel%C2%AE+Graphics+Media+Accelerator+3150+(Intel%C2%AE+GMA+3150)

Go on, I'll wait. 

tl;dr: You'll notice a starting lack of Windows 10 support, making the choice to upgrade with an Intel product a very stupid one at this time. 

Hoping that Windows 8 will somehow magically prop up your graphics card OpenGL support when they stopped supporting OpenGL 1.1 back in 1993 is asinine. It's all on Intel and the fact that very few of their products even support Windows 10 right now, relying on Micorosoft's generic drivers, or their various compatibility modes (that often have difficulty with accelerated graphics), that can't even run OpenGL applications on Windows 7  3/4 of the time.

In short, we can't even test your theory without mashing Windows 7/8 drivers into Windows 10 and hoping it works.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=Intel%C2%AE+Graphics+Media+Accelerator+3150+(Intel%C2%AE+GMA+3150)

Go on, I'll wait. 

tl;dr: You'll notice a starting lack of Windows 10 support, making the choice to upgrade with an Intel product a very stupid one at this time. 

Hoping that Windows 8 will somehow magically prop up your graphics card OpenGL support when they stopped supporting OpenGL 1.1 back in 1993 is asinine. It's all on Intel and the fact that very few of their products even support Windows 10 right now, relying on Micorosoft's generic drivers, or their various compatibility modes (that often have difficulty with accelerated graphics), that can't even run OpenGL applications on Windows 7  3/4 of the time.

In short, we can't even test your theory without mashing Windows 7/8 drivers into Windows 10 and hoping it works.

I don't know why Intel is being singled out. This is not a theory, this is standard procedure. This is the way the most sub-industries of computer science applications operate. You update. Your libraries update, and you upate. Your libraries' libraries update, and you update. It's a pretty big deal for everyone when an operating system updates, eventually with a final say on how things will be. 

Regardless of how you feel about both my response to this individual's situation (as well as everyone else approaching Windows 10 with LWJGL dependencies at this point), we will have to wait until a solution appears. This will mean that Project Zomboid will eventually upgrade to LWJGL 3.X. 

Jab, right now the solution is A) don't update to an OS that doesn't support your hardware and b) force Windows 7/8 drivers if you really feel you can't go back.

Unlike nVidia or AMD, Intel tends to pull support for their hardware within 2-3 years of release. There are some exceptions, but generally it's been one of the primary failings in TIS's OpenGL experiment. Namely, that most poeple have stuck with the typical Windows drivers, which offer no OpenGL support past 1.1 and tend to fail to create an accelerated rendering context for OpenGL.

Whether PZ will update to the massive rewrite that is LWJGL 3.x remains to be seen, but perhaps it is inevitable . . . eventually. If you feel it's really the windowing of LWJGL that's the problem and not driver support, then I'd like to see your sources rather than something that outright disproves you on the second page. Not to mention the error message, and the OP's original post.

I'm suggesting you could maybe try this out, it finds and installs drivers that Microsofts Driver Updater cannot find. Trust me it's legit and totally free and its not one of those "hey we found drivers but if you want them you have to $$$$$$$ up" ... no this is legit and from IOBIT. I have nearly all their programs for months now...

I've managed to update over 12 drivers, including my Intel Inegrated HD Graphics Card Driver which Microsofts Updater COULD NOT find, and NOR ACER (laptop is acer) didn't have it on their site either and couldn't find it. 

thought it might help ?......

http://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

Wel thing is, windows 10 autoupdates the drivers of the Nvidia graphics cards, so i just blocked the autoupdates for the device, and reinstalled the nvidia drivers manually.

Dont know much about those java libraries and openGL, but that was not the problem. With the drivers correclty updated games works fine on windows 10.

Thanks for all the answers.

I updated my Win 7 64bit to Win 10 64bit. and PZomboid works fine. I let windows do all Updates everything.

the only games that didnt work anymore were really old games like Jagged Alliance 2(works with workaround) and Dungeon Keeper (games from 1997)