Happiness affecting exp gain?

kev92

Perhaps skills should level up much slower when you're depressed.

I read through the suggestions about new consequences of having the sadness moodle, and I mostly saw suggestions to make your character weaker as you get depressed. But I think it would feel more natural if instead, your happiness is linked to your rate of exp gain, with your exp either slowing to a crawl or stopping completely when you reach maximum depression.

From a role-playing perspective, I just figure our survivors are badasses who survived for a good reason. No matter how bummed out we get, we never lose our will to live. The adrenaline rush of fighting the walking dead trumps the bad mood you got from eating stale food for the past month. But a crappy mood would have a crappy effect on your motivation, so depression would make you lose interest in anything other than just surviving.

Likewise, we could also introduce a positive happiness moddle similar to the positive fed moodle. While you have a positive happiness moodle, you gain exp a little faster, but the moodle slowly fades away until you get back to a neutral state of happiness. I think this would give happiness a nice function in the game, making you actually want to manage your happiness in the long term, but allowing you to ignore the happiness mechanic during times where you are just trying to survive. For the record, I'm okay with how depression currently slows down your inventory actions; I would like to see that stay in the game as well.

Thoughts?

Nice idea. I would like to see this, but not the slower equipment mechanic that we have right know, because this isn't too logical to me. When someone is sad he still want to survive (or just don't die in pain and then eat people, and.... suicide and being killed are two different things) so i don't see a reason why character with depression would loot thing slower even with zombies chasing him.

Great idea, we need more repercussions for being unhappy.

Unhappy slows down inventory transferring, unpacking, etc...

It slows down chopping wood, accuracy and strength when fighting the undead.

It also slows down healing, *to be confirmed* If I've noticed it right.

I think they'res enough repercussions for being a depressed survivor. What we, IMO, actually need is it to have at least ONE upper ! :)

,e.g. like being more silent hence more inconspicuous?

Great idea, we need more repercussions for being unhappy.

Unhappy slows down inventory transferring, unpacking, etc...

It slows down chopping wood, accuracy and strength when fighting the undead.

It also slows down healing, *to be confirmed* If I've noticed it right.

I think they'res enough repercussions for being a depressed survivor. What we, IMO, actually need is it to have at least ONE upper ! :)

Do you really think that begin depressed needs a upper?

Nice idea. I would like to see this, but not the slower equipment mechanic that we have right know, because this isn't too logical to me. When someone is sad he still want to survive (or just don't die in pain and then eat people, and.... suicide and being killed are two different things) so i don't see a reason why character with depression would loot thing slower even with zombies chasing him.

Have you met a depressive person before?

They literally don't care about themselves and are out for a deathwish most of the time, depression should be a HUGE factor in a game like this, it should be something you want to keep away at all cost, something that if you got it in your character, you are going to be in deep shit.

Depression is not feeling bad one day and then go jogging and cutting wood, depression fucks your psyche up so bad you don't want to eat, get out of bed or even speak to your loved ones, hell even wanting to die in your sleep is one of the things they wish for.

Depression should fuck you up if you don't manage it well, one thing is having long periods of unhappiness and other is just plain out depressed.

I have lost friends and uncles to depression, that is why i kinda know what are they capable of when in that state, thought all of them, they all just wanted to die deep down inside and all of them did in some way or another. (Hang themselves, anti-depressive overdose with alcohol, got ran over by a car because he didn't felt the need to run and died and others)

And we are speaking in a world where shit is bad but at least your negibour/son/girlfriend or best friend is not a walking corpse trying to eat you.

Yes I do. :D it also allows you to enjoy thinks more. I know me havin' been through many years of severe depression became very silently and unnoticed. That would be a great upper IG to be silent and unnoticed or less noticeable, which, will add up separately from the inconspicuous trait.

Yes I do. :D it also allows you to enjoy things more.

Depression makes you not able to enjoy anything...at all.

They literally don't care about themselves and are out for a deathwish most of the time, depression should be a HUGE factor in a game like this, it should be something you want to keep away at all cost, something that if you got it in your character, you are going to be in deep shit.

Depression is not feeling bad one day and then go jogging and cutting wood, depression fucks your psyche up so bad you don't want to eat, get out of bed or even speak to your loved ones, hell even wanting to die in your sleep is one of the things they wish for.

Depression should fuck you up if you don't manage it well, one thing is having long periods of unhappiness and other is just plain out depressed.

I have lost friends and uncles to depression, that is why i kinda know what are they capable of when in that state, thought all of them, they all just wanted to die deep down inside and all of them did in some way or another. (Hang themselves, anti-depressive overdose with alcohol, got ran over by a car because he didn't felt the need to run and died and others)

And we are speaking in a world where shit is bad but at least your negibour/son/girlfriend or best friend is not a walking corpse trying to eat you.

Emm, yea. I officially have depression, and i don't want to die or something like that, i'm just sad by most of the time (i'm thinking too much about things that i can't control, and btw i have 120 IQ ((but i'm 14 years old, so you know, IQ isn't the knowledge, this is why my english may be a little crappy)), so.... i'm sad because i'm thinking too much ;d), but i agree with "friends don't want to eat you" part though.

And thinking about killing yourself when you're in bed is something another than defending yourself when some corpses want to eat you. I think that person with super-depression would still defend yourself (survival instinct or a simple reaction).

EDIT

I'm actually enjoying a lot of things, for example i like watching some fun guys like SeaNanners, PewDiePie (and another guys from my country that you wouldn't know anyway), playing games or talking with people. But you know - that's just me, there is a lot of people that are sad 100% of time.

Emm, yea. I officially have depression, and i don't want to die or something like that, i'm just sad by most of the time (i'm thinking too much about things that i can't control, and btw i have 120 IQ ((but i'm 14 years old, so you know, IQ isn't the knowledge, this is why my english may be a little crappy)), so.... i'm sad because i'm thinking too much ;d), but i agree with "friends don't want to eat you" part though.

And thinking about killing yourself when you're in bed is something another than defending yourself when some corpses want to eat you. I think that person with super-depression would still defend yourself (survival instinct or a simple reaction).

EDIT

I'm actually enjoying a lot of things, for example i like watching some fun guys like SeaNanners, PewDiePie (and another guys from my country that you wouldn't know anyway), playing games or talking with people. But you know - that's just me, there is a lot of people that are sad 100% of time.

Then i don't know what kind of depression you have.

The one i am talking about is the one of losing a love one, shit hitting the fan so bad that you see no escape, the death of a close one and just the feeling of loneliness and hopeless of a better day tomorrow.

In a world where like i said shit is not looking or ever will look good, where every day you might die, where people you loved and everything you once loved is lost and you might see their rotten body walking in the streets, the will to live should be the light in the dark that you wan to keep for as long as possible.

Look at how people live their lives right now, dunno how reliable this source is (http://www.healthline.com/health/depression/statistics-infographic), 80% of people have some sort of depression without treatment (i hate pulling sources from websites).

I guess you are really getting treatment, but mid to severe depression is the one i am speaking about that causes you dont wanting to get out of bed or the feeling of begin tired all the time.

EDIT

The one i am talking about is the one of losing a love one, shit hitting the fan so bad that you see no escape, the death of a close one and just the feeling of loneliness and hopeless of a better day tomorrow.

In a world where like i said shit is not looking or ever will look good, where every day you might die, where people you loved and everything you once loved is lost and you might see their rotten body walking in the streets, the will to live should be the light in the dark that you wan to keep for as long as possible.

Look at how people live their lives right now, dunno how reliable this source is (http://www.healthline.com/health/depression/statistics-infographic), 80% of people have some sort of depression without treatment (i hate pulling sources from websites).

I guess you are really getting treatment, but mid to severe depression is the one i am speaking about that causes you dont wanting to get out of bed or the feeling of begin tired all the time.

Yup thats exactly the one we are talkin' about ;) and you're stereotyping how depressive people, in YOUR opinion, should and/or are...  :ph34r:

*leaves thread*

I am sorry if i offend anyone but is not my opinion, i seen them with my own eyes and close.

Like i said i lost people i knew and was very close with because they had depression and overtime it grew to become a monster that devoured them. 

Shit is not begin sad all the time, that is when depression is just starting, i went to a group along with a friend that had depression to hear the stories of people who had mid depression to almost severe depression and how they escaped it (becoming the anti-depressive addicts), when you hear their stories, you just can feel how desperate they were in that state, i remember one guy called Julio who had sores all over his body because he didn't leave the bed, never watched TV, he was just waiting to die he said, some cousin came to talk to him and he found him in his bed smelling of piss, starving and unconscious and took him to the hospital.

I am not stereotyping, i am just telling the stories of people who had mid/severe depression and telling how my friends/family states of depression were growing over time and then they off themselves in some way or another. 

Well, to be honest i don't think that i have depression too. It's just my lifestyle, you know. I don't want to kill myself or something like that, i'm just angry/sad when i'm thinking about sad things/things that make me angry and i don't have motivation, that's all. Some people don't think about things that they can't change and they are moving on, some people also have motivation almost for anything, they saying "i can do it!" to yourself, but like i said, me is me and i'm not "some people". This is why i said "i officially have depression".

But "doctors" always know better! :D

Depression, by its very nature, is far too complicated to realistically represent in a game this scope. Indeed, one could go so far as to create an entire game simply dealing with the neuroscience behind depression (quickly, troops, rally to the hippocampus! We must establish new neurological connections and defend them!).

As such, in order to deal with such a topic, a fairly severe amount of generalizing is going to be needed to facilitate its place in a video game.

Many people react differently during periods of moderate to severe depression. To get personal for a second, about half a decade ago someone I thought would be around for the rest of my life suddenly was not, of their own free will. I immediately spiralled into an incredibly deep depression, made worse by my pre-existing manic tendencies and obsessive personality.

The end result was that I managed to learn a piece of music I'd been lusting over for years. I learned the entirety of it in three days. In the end, depression actually served to increase my ability to learn something, simply through desperately needing a mental distraction from my circumstances.

My point is, while it may be offensive to generalize symptoms, causes, side effects, and solutions to depression, it is necessary to do so for the sake of a game mechanic.

To summarize, I agree with the idea of XP gain slowing while a character is depressed, even though this isn't EVERYONE'S experience with depression. There could even be traits built around people who seem to thrive in the midst of negativity and adversity.

Depression, by its very nature, is far too complicated to realistically represent in a game this scope. Indeed, one could go so far as to create an entire game simply dealing with the neuroscience behind depression (quickly, troops, rally to the hippocampus! We must establish new neurological connections and defend them!).

As such, in order to deal with such a topic, a fairly severe amount of generalizing is going to be needed to facilitate its place in a video game.

Many people react differently during periods of moderate to severe depression. To get personal for a second, about half a decade ago someone I thought would be around for the rest of my life suddenly was not, of their own free will. I immediately spiralled into an incredibly deep depression, made worse by my pre-existing manic tendencies and obsessive personality.

The end result was that I managed to learn a piece of music I'd been lusting over for years. I learned the entirety of it in three days. In the end, depression actually served to increase my ability to learn something, simply through desperately needing a mental distraction from my circumstances.

My point is, while it may be offensive to generalize symptoms, causes, side effects, and solutions to depression, it is necessary to do so for the sake of a game mechanic.

To summarize, I agree with the idea of XP gain slowing while a character is depressed, even though this isn't EVERYONE'S experience with depression. There could even be traits built around people who seem to thrive in the midst of negativity and adversity.

what about the random chance of certain depression traits depending on the situation. if you are just sitting around the symptoms may be this while if you just suffered loss then it may be something else.