Better Shouts (1.1.1)

RoboMat

Better Shouts

Better Shouts is a mod for Project Zomboid, which replaces the vanilla shouting mechanics and adds a whisper function.

poster.png

Overview
  • Adds custom shouts (users can easily add their own)
  • Adds whispering, which will be used if the player is sneaking
  • Removed vanilla shouts
  • Tiny AVC Support
Shouting & Whispering
Shouting in this mod works similar to the shouting in the vanilla game, but it adds a few more variations of things your character says. Whispering works just like shouting and will be used when the player is sneaking. This can be used to only attract zombies who are close by.

Adding custom Shouts
Adding custom shout and whisper texts is quite easy. The files containing the default text are located in the RMBetterShouts/text folder.

Add two new files called custom_shouts.txt and custom_whispers.txt to the RMBetterShouts/text folder. These files will be used by the mod to replace the default shouts the next time you load the game.

Now open the newly created files and add a bunch of new shouts:

# Example for custom_shouts.txt# Comments start with # and will be ignored when the file is loaded.# Empty lines will also be ignored.# MiscSupercalifragilisticexpialidocious# Dovahkiin ShoutsFus Ro DahOd Ah ViingLaas Yah NirZul Mey GutWuld Nah Kest# More Shouts...
Of course you could simply edit the base files, but these will be overriden when the mod updates and your changes will be lost. By keeping your custom shouts in separate text files this won't happen.

DownloadButton.png

One of these (purely for laffs :P ) should be "Hey!!!! Boris the Animal!" (correct me if i spelled it wrong) and one of the whispers should be "You're gonna lose" like from MIB3? It would make me laugh if you added that in :P

I definitely want to add more shouts, but for now I want to focus on "lore-friendly" shouts so to speak. I am a bit torn on wether I want to add funny references to the mod directly. I thought about adding a user file, which would allow players to add their own shouts easily.

Yay custom yells dream come true!

Also whispering seems cool!

I'm pretty sure the values for attracting zombies need balancing and tweaking so I'm looking forward to getting feedback. (Also there currently aren't THAT many new shouts in this mod, but more will follow soon!)

I definitely want to add more shouts, but for now I want to focus on "lore-friendly" shouts so to speak. I am a bit torn on wether I want to add funny references to the mod directly. I thought about adding a user file, which would allow players to add their own shouts easily.

I would be pretty enthusiastic if you did that, if you do, could you put a readme in the mod files or a tutorial in this topic on how to add your own shouts?

I would be pretty enthusiastic if you did that, if you do, could you put a readme in the mod files or a tutorial in this topic on how to add your own shouts?

Will do, but it won't be harder than adding a few new lines to a simple text file.

Release v1.1.0:

- Added support for adding custom shouts and whispers- Updated description for keybinding in the options menu
Added a small tutorial to the opening post and the readme file. Please tell me if it is understandable :)

It's fantastic to see that mods are starting to catch up again after the seeming slew of considerable content updates, in fact I had actually been trying to update the mods on the unofficial site myself, including your player taunts mod and to some extent expand on it. I couldn't quite understand how to go about it so I'd like to make a suggestion if I may, once all the zombie groups are figured out and the main shouts/whispers are completed, maybe have traits for different personalities in the dialogue. For example, have a trait where the player shouts are egomaniacal, and another one perhaps with foreign (in relation to KY) phrases, ideals and culture. If that seems to be suitable, what I had been attempting to do was expand it to include player responses to any given situation, like killing a certain amount of zombies in a given time would trigger a celebratory response, etc.  And just as an add on, with the introduction of survivors and groups of survivors, the personality traits could make an impact on the interactions between the player and the survivors. That's my "pitch", I'd suppose, however untimely.

It's fantastic to see that mods are starting to catch up again after the seeming slew of considerable content updates, in fact I had actually been trying to update the mods on the unofficial site myself, including your player taunts mod and to some extent expand on it. I couldn't quite understand how to go about it so I'd like to make a suggestion if I may, once all the zombie groups are figured out and the main shouts/whispers are completed, maybe have traits for different personalities in the dialogue. For example, have a trait where the player shouts are egomaniacal, and another one perhaps with foreign (in relation to KY) phrases, ideals and culture. If that seems to be suitable, what I had been attempting to do was expand it to include player responses to any given situation, like killing a certain amount of zombies in a given time would trigger a celebratory response, etc.  And just as an add on, with the introduction of survivors and groups of survivors, the personality traits could make an impact on the interactions between the player and the survivors. That's my "pitch", I'd suppose, however untimely.

It's a good idea and that's basically what I was going for in the player taunts mod. I want to keep this mod separate, but I'll try to update the player taunts mod soonish :)

I added a few shouts for comic like: "You got a real purdy mouth!" kinda like Tallahassee from Zombieland (awesome film) or "C'mere feller" when I'm whispering.

You could add in a few ones like:

"Meal on the go here! c'mere!" (Shout)

"Aw, your a pretty one" (Whisper)

"Damn uglies! I'm right e're!" (Shout)

"Hey yeah you deadskin!" (Shout)

"Come on now just a few steps" (Whisper)

"You got a real purdy mouth!" (Shout)

"C'mere feller" (Whisper)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so my original plan was to have different colors for shouting and whispering, but that doesn't really work (at least not in a way I feel comfortable with).

My other suggestion would be to have shouts in ALL CAPS instead. I could force this via code, or do you think this should be left as an option?

It seems as though the custom shouts don't work, I'm only getting custom whispers.

When I remove the custom shouts file, the base shouts work fine.

Do the shouts have to be written in all caps in the custom file?

I suppose you are playing the IWBMS branch? Build 32.20 has broken a lot of things and I haven't updated my mods yet.

It seems as though the custom shouts don't work, I'm only getting custom whispers.

When I remove the custom shouts file, the base shouts work fine.

Do the shouts have to be written in all caps in the custom file?

I suppose you are playing the IWBMS branch? Build 32.20 has broken a lot of things and I haven't updated my mods yet.

Ah, damn... yes, I did.

Ah, damn... yes, I did.

Can you do me the favor and try your custom shouts file with the latest PZ version on IWBMS (32.24)? I tested it on OSX and it works fine. I'll see if I can test it on my Windows PC later on when I get home.