professional survivors

Trojan_Turps

If you start the game a year or more after the apocalypse I think that you should get a different list of professions to choose from. These new professions would provide you with a solid skill set you have used to survive this long.

You have forgot all about your old life as a ........ Now your a professional survivor.

Runner-

Fast and silent. Great at looting and avoiding trouble.

Stalker-

Hunting and wilderness survival. Goes into the woods and brings back dinner.

Slayer-

Blunt, blade and brave. Daily skull smasher and tough nut.

Enforcer-

Guns Guns Guns. Provide protection and disposes of friends and foes if necessary.

Doc-

Medical aid. Everyone's new best friend.

Fixer-

Repairs, electric's, engine's. Keeping things going and making things better.

Builder-

Wood work and more. Why have a house when you can have a fort?

Cleaner-

Sorting stores and cooking. Making you house feel like a home.

Loner-

Well rounded. Had to learn it all the hard way.

They could also get a starter kit with related items.

Had to sum them all up to avoid a mega wall of text :)

Every extra starting month you add, you get +1 trait point for better perks. Maybe limit up to 6 for balance. This would also resolve that "I have one more positive trait that's wasted" problem when you finish character creation.

i doint really like the idea personally. if you want choosing traits you can make them like these and i feel that these would just be pointless in the game.

The more control you have over selecting points and skills the easyer it is to get an OP character.

Having to select a profession would help make it fair and could even be used in multiplayer games.

i doint really like the idea personally. if you want choosing traits you can make them like these and i feel that these would just be pointless in the game.

The more control you have over selecting points and skills the easyer it is to get an OP character.

Having to select a profession would help make it fair and could even be used in multiplayer games.

i dont see this as being a good feature since it limits you so much. its not as custom.

In my opinion, I think that is quite awkward that once you die after surviving 6 months after the apocalypse, you can create a freshly new character without bonus points, like : "Hello guys I'm a doctor and omg a zombie apocalypse? I've been here for six months and I didn't realized"

To be fair, to have survived for 8 months it does make sense to have built up some skills.

+1 to this

In my opinion, I think that is quite awkward that once you die after surviving 6 months after the apocalypse, you can create a freshly new character without bonus points, like : "Hello guys I'm a doctor and omg a zombie apocalypse? I've been here for six months and I didn't realized"

To be fair, to have survived for 8 months it does make sense to have built up some skills.

+1 to this

well in multiplayer its not fair to get a head start because you joined late. plus you can get the same results by choosing traits. i feel the trait path is better. possibly adding a few extra skill buff for starting late or an exp boost to some skills but i personally dont like the idea of these preset traits and occupation.

Well I've been very vague in how I have described the professions. This sort of thing could be done in lots of different ways.

I would have the the new professions replace the old ones. So if you choose 'Builder' you get-

Lvl 7 carpentry

Lvl 3 blunt damage

Lvl 4 blunt maintenance

Lvl 2 blade damage

Lvl 3 blade maintenance

etc etc etc

So you aren't starting from zero for everything!

You could then add traits like normal or there could be a new traits list to choose from as well. So the character could be rounded out and made different.

Well I've been very vague in how I have described the professions. This sort of thing could be done in lots of different ways.

I would have the the new professions replace the old ones. So if you choose 'Builder' you get-

Lvl 7 carpentry

Lvl 3 blunt damage

Lvl 4 blunt maintenance

Lvl 2 blade damage

Lvl 3 blade maintenance

etc etc etc

So you aren't starting from zero for everything!

You could then add traits like normal or there could be a new traits list to choose from as well. So the character could be rounded out and made different.

that's insane. no matter how long i survive i am never at that high of stats. plus if i only use blunt my blunt weapons skill would be higher and i wouldn't have any blade. you cant account for the story behind everything.

What!!! After a year you can't get to level 7 carpentry?

To be honest after a year you should be lvl 10 especially if the is what you are specializing in.

well i dont normally use it. i rely on houses and build 5-6 walls in my enter time playing. i am more offensive and dont use anything but blunt besides the ax for trees. i mean i survive a good long time and i dont fit any of these classes. i do it differently and that cant just be picked with pre-set traits.

To be honest after a year you should be lvl 10 especially if the is what you are specializing in.

Was surprised too. Well, I did make a carpenter with handy trait and got to carp lvl 10 in less than a week, but it was just to build the base in survival. I killed him after. But it's only a 125% bonus and 4 levels that needs a few xp so with normal xp gains, I guess a month of just sawing wood + books will get you to lvl 10.

Was surprised too. Well, I did make a carpenter with handy trait and got to carp lvl 10 in less than a week, but it was just to build the base in survival. I killed him after. But it's only a 125% bonus and 4 levels that needs a few xp so with normal xp gains, I guess a month of just sawing wood + books will get you to lvl 10.

Yeah if you focus on it you can level up carpentry relativity quickly. But if you don't really go crazy with building or move around a lot then you won't...... Realistically if you start as a carpenter you should start with level 10 carpentry because your a carpenter :) But people like to have goals and stuff to achieve in games so there needs to be room for improvement. I guess thats why you start at level 3 as a carpenter?

I feel like if you start a year in, you should still have a bit to learn but get to skip a bit of the grind :D