Immersion involving items...

CalmUnity

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminder to everyone to stay lovely in this thread, as things are taking a turn for the unlovely. Thanks!

Besides, if you were a Brit vacationing in Kentucky, you would not find remoulade no matter how British you were.  You would also find a surplus of ketchup.  And, pickles would be in jars. 

Slight nitpick, though this obviously doesn't detract from your overall point- remoulade is not unheard of in the southern US. States like Louisiana with french origins use it frequently, and it's coming into "pop" food culture a bit more these days. At one point I was a chef in South Carolina, and we made our own remoulade on a daily basis. You can also find it in stores here, for example WalMart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Louisiana-Fish-Fry-Products-Remoulade-Dressing-10.5-oz/10535330 Not really wanting to get mixed up in the argument here, but as a bit of a food snob I just wanted to point that out.  Carry on!

First, Americans call a "spade" a "shovel."  I understand they are two words for the same thing, but it is true.

A spade is different from a shovel though (at least here in germany). Spades usually have flat tips on their blades, whereas shovels have a more pointy blade.

shovel-and-spade_new.jpg

And this is a King of Spades.

cod-ks.jpg

The two terms seem to be used interchangeably in Canada, unless you actually know and care about the difference. They seem to be treated as synonyms in real life. For example, search spade on HomeDepot.com: you'll get both.

And to continue that train of thought, for people in the construction industry (like myself, albeit on the sales end) there's an important difference between the two (that RM pointed out). The only people who call a spade a shovel are people who don't know anything about the subject.

And to continue that train of thought, for people in the construction industry (like myself, albeit on the sales end) there's an important difference between the two (that RM pointed out). The only people who call a spade a shovel are people who don't know anything about the subject.

Then wouldn't what's in the game be a shovel anyways?

I think we should be able to use Remoulade as an ingredient in salads.

I thought remoulade was pasta sauce.

Edit: oh it IS pasta sauce of sorts.

Edit: it is not pasta sauce. Just sauce in general. I am confused.

Just think of it as tartar sauce's grandpa.

It is basically but not exactly tartar sauce.

Kinda like tartar's sauce but smells like tobacco and gives you crisp $10 bills for Christmas? Got it. ^__^

And this is a King of Spades.

cod-ks.jpg

The two terms seem to be used interchangeably in Canada, unless you actually know and care about the difference. They seem to be treated as synonyms in real life. For example, search spade on HomeDepot.com: you'll get both.

Ace beats King ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvK7PCO6T0M

Here we normally just call a full length spade or shovel a 'shovel' nobody cares if its correct or not lol, but we do call those small plastic spades you use on the beach as a kid to make a sand castle a 'spade' :)

Then wouldn't what's in the game be a shovel anyways?

Based on the current animation? Maybe. But that's not the point I was making. Just pointing out that those two words had nothing to do with regional dialect.

I just looked at the one ingame again, it is indeed a shovel after all...

Pointed tip and all.

Items should, for immersion purposes, be the same as you would find in that area irl. So since it takes place in Kentucky, certain American traits should be seen. Same can be said for basically anything. Take automobiles for example when they're added - there SHOULD be an abundance of pick-up trucks due to their enormous popularity in the American south. This would be different if it took place somewhere else, like Europe, where you might see more bikes in general and more European brand car types.

Spelling of items should be based on the translated language you chose when you started the game. If you choose English, there should be British or American English options, each having different spellings. The same would be for French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, etcetc. Spellings depend on the language you're speaking. American and British English are for all intent and purposes different.
However, bringing that up, I hope that for immersion purposes the grammar used for the radio broadcasts will be written in the same way an America would speak, rather than a Britt, considering it's an American radio broadcast.

Also yes, the whole "spade" being a shovel icon always bothered me too. I've done outdoor work all my life, as well as some professional work as well. There is a huge difference between a spade and shovel and what they're used for. And I can assure you I've never used a spade before to dig, only for edging or breaking down roots. But I've used a shovel a LOT to dig. Kentucky's soil is faily soft, unlike somewhere like Georgia where it's harder clay dirt. You don't really need a spade, rather, a shovel to dig with.

Kentucky's soil is faily soft, unlike somewhere like Georgia where it's harder clay dirt.

I live in Georgia, and the clay is horrible. Digging a one foot deep hole in no easy task here...

Correct. My sister and brother-in-law lives in Georgia. We had to use a pick before we could shovel the little bit we picked out just to plant bushes. In NY state the dirt is actually similar but has a LOT more rocks in it, whereas Georgia clay doesn't really have any rocks. But Kentucky's soil is completely different and doesn't require any of that. A shovel will do, but a spade is NOT used the same way as a shovel. I guess in Kentucky winter a spade could work better to break the soil, but honestly you're not supposed to be able to farm in the winter there lol.

Just wanted to say that this thread is really handy and thanks for making it. If there's anything else that people notice please flag it :)

Generally if it's in the UI or Menus British-isms are fine, but we need to be aware of stuff we trip up on in-game really.

Hot Cuppa will stay though, as I love it too dearly to rename it :P

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say that this thread is really handy and thanks for making it. If there's anything else that people notice please flag it :)

New thing:  The sign in front of the Sunstar Hotel says "Free WiFi" and based on my research and personal experience WiFi wouldn't have been available in the base starting year of 1993. 

I also have always found it immersion breaking with items like remoulade, yoghurt, spade, etc. If anyone has ever followed any of the rants I post on here, they are almost always tied to realism/immersion in one way or another.

The game is set in Kentucky, but the devs are mostly European from what I've learned (Mostly British, a crazy Frenchman, and a Canadian... I feel like there should be a joke here or something).

They choose to place the game in Kentucky. Why? I dunno. But they did. Therefore to me, it makes sense that the vernacular used in game should be based on the locale the game is set in. If TIS chose to, they could have had the game setting be in a small rural town in GB, France, or Canada. But they didn't. It is based in the US.

If you want to make a setting with more typical British (or elsewhere) vernacular, then make a map based there. This game as it currently is, is not, therefore it shouldn't use a foreign, to the setting, vernacular.

PS Devs why did you choose KY? Spun the globe and that's where the finger landed? Family, friends there? I have always been curious about this. Met a bunch of criteria? That there was a large military presence, a larger city, and some water all nearby? I'm sure there are many places closer to home that fit these criteria.

PPS please please please use a generic form of cars/trucks that would be commonly found in rural America in the 90s when they are added. As much as I love Aston Martins, Mini-Coopers, old Bedford trucks, or Renaults. I would be really disappointed if we didn't see Buick like sedans from the 90s and Ford/Dodge/Chevy style pickups.

-lengthy post-

The devs (to me anyway) seem to have made no qualms over the fact that sometimes they mess up what something is called or how it's named in game and in this very thread Will has addressed the fact he appreciates this feedback.

I also found your comment about cars... strange. Have you been lead to believe that the majority of the cars in the game wouldn't be of notable American (knock off ;) ) brands? Seem to be commenting on something before it has been shown.

Finally, it might be worth pointing out rants are not a helpful way of feeding back this information. Pointing it out, or even putting it in the bug tracker (though I suppose some could debate if that's the right course of action) rants, lead to emotional threads, which leads to warnings and locks and can just end up being wasted time for those involved.

Remoulade is seemingly common in Kentucky or Kentucky recipes, so.No, that one's not the problem here.

Never heard of the stuff. I'll ask some of my friends tonight if they've heard of it.

Lots of results for it, backing up Rathlord's previous claims about it being commonly used with fish:

http://www.jeffruby.com/louisville/menu

I must be bored. :-|

-lengthy post-

The devs (to me anyway) seem to have made no qualms over the fact that sometimes they mess up what something is called or how it's named in game and in this very thread Will has addressed the fact he appreciates this feedback.

I also found your comment about cars... strange. Have you been lead to believe that the majority of the cars in the game wouldn't be of notable American (knock off ;) ) brands? Seem to be commenting on something before it has been shown.

Finally, it might be worth pointing out rants are not a helpful way of feeding back this information. Pointing it out, or even putting it in the bug tracker (though I suppose some could debate if that's the right course of action) rants, lead to emotional threads, which leads to warnings and locks and can just end up being wasted time for those involved.

Apologies that this came off as a rant, and I did light heartedly call it a rant, so I guess I had that coming to me.

I have only ever seen one photo of a PZ car (here on a mondoid) and it was a bit ambiguous IMO. I can't say I would recognize what type of car that is. If its supposed to be foreign or domestic. Honestly, it doesn't matter. I think that the sedan in the photo will totally work in the game, and its not like we don't have foreign sedans here in the US, its just I really hope to see some like you say 'notable American (knock off) brands'. However, I really appreciate the comment that says 'ignore the non-authentic plates' :)