Immersion involving items...

CalmUnity

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm almost positive that 99.9% of all civilian clocks in Kentucky in 1993 used the 12-hour AM/PM format, yet our characters are forced to a 24-hour clock even if they are not in military service and would find it very disorienting.

#JustGonnaBeThatGuy

Something about the second paragraph in Connall's post makes me think that the mods might know more than we could have ever imagined.

You should have thought that from the beginning ;)

I'm almost positive that 99.9% of all civilian clocks in Kentucky in 1993 used the 12-hour AM/PM format, yet our characters are forced to a 24-hour clock even if they are not in military service and would find it very disorienting.

#JustGonnaBeThatGuy

Actually, there's an option in the menu to swap between 12 and 24 hour clocks.

Regarding this topic- one thing that should be noted is that menu and interface items are all "out of character" anyways. There's no menu in real life listing the things in your pack. Thus, the things in there don't necessarily have to be localized to the setting of the game. Having a menu and such are part of reasonable suspension of disbelief in the first place. There's an argument to be made that localizing menu could add some extra immersion- I don't find myself nonplussed by it at all, though.

That being said, the actual dialogue will be much more authentic, as are most current in-world signs like billboards and such. Not that I know anything about any dialogue.

I have only ever seen one photo of a PZ car (here on a mondoid) and it was a bit ambiguous IMO. I can't say I would recognize what type of car that is. If its supposed to be foreign or domestic. Honestly, it doesn't matter. I think that the sedan in the photo will totally work in the game, and its not like we don't have foreign sedans here in the US, its just I really hope to see some like you say 'notable American (knock off) brands'. However, I really appreciate the comment that says 'ignore the non-authentic plates' :)

yeah, unless you want TIS to pay some potentially hefty licensing fees to get a name brand vehicle, they will have to go with the most generic type vehicles possible for the Vanilla game. which can actually work out better, where they are not limited to one brands vehicle line.

of course, if someone wants to mod in some Hummers, Mercedes Uni Mog's, maybe the Green Goblin face semi from Maximum Overdrive or any other type of vehicle..........have fun

I have only ever seen one photo of a PZ car (here on a mondoid) and it was a bit ambiguous IMO. I can't say I would recognize what type of car that is. If its supposed to be foreign or domestic. Honestly, it doesn't matter. I think that the sedan in the photo will totally work in the game, and its not like we don't have foreign sedans here in the US, its just I really hope to see some like you say 'notable American (knock off) brands'. However, I really appreciate the comment that says 'ignore the non-authentic plates' :)

yeah, unless you want TIS to pay some potentially hefty licensing fees to get a name brand vehicle, they will have to go with the most generic type vehicles possible for the Vanilla game. which can actually work out better, where they are not limited to one brands vehicle line.

of course, if someone wants to mod in some Hummers, Mercedes Uni Mog's, maybe the Green Goblin face semi from Maximum Overdrive or any other type of vehicle..........have fun

You can make knockoffs that resemble their real world counterparts and not be stuck paying licensing fees. They are not replicating the vehicles or using their brand names or any trademarks.

Have you ever seen the movie Cars?

You can make knockoffs that resemble their real world counterparts and not be stuck paying licensing fees. They are not replicating the vehicles or using their brand names or any trademarks.

Have you ever seen the movie Cars?

actually...no. never have

i spend more time playing games than i do watching any movies

Remoulade is seemingly common in Kentucky or Kentucky recipes, so.

No, that one's not the problem here.

Not sure what part of KY its common in, but I can assure you its definitely not common in my area.

Edit: Sorry, skipped over your second post stating Louisville, and I could reasonably see some cajun style resteraunts in a city like that, but in rural areas, it would most definitely be tartar sauce. I still wouldn't exactly call it "common" though in KY.

#JustGonnaBeThatGuy

When was that added? What option is that under, cause that would make gameplay so much more smoother for me, instead of trying to figure out if its 10pm or not on a 24 hour clock :S

Would love if that were the case, but sadly it isn't. There is an option for "Clock Format" but this only changes the order of Month/Day or Day/Month, and has nothing to do with time.

Would love if that were the case, but sadly it isn't. There is an option for "Clock Format" but this only changes the order of Month/Day or Day/Month, and has nothing to do with time.

Ah, so cruel..........Rathlord, crusher of hopes and dreams!

#JustGonnaBeThatGuy

Buurrrnnnnnn xD lol

In the words of the great EnigmaGrey, You could always mod it in.

Hydrocraft mod has Jars of Pickles. Pickles-icon.png

I hate pickles, aaaghhhhhhhhhh >.<

Maybe its one of those things that some people love it some people hate, Here for example some people love marmalade and always have it in their cupboards, Me and my brother, sister have always hated it growing up, Now as an adult I rarely ever see it. Maybe I would if I went searching for it in a supermarket. Last time I seen marmalade would probably be like 5 years ago.

The point I'm making is maybe we only notice the stuff we like.

http://www.kentuckyderby.com/party/recipes/appetizers/crab-cakes

And here I was thinking I was drinking some kind of lemonade all this time... 

So i wasn't the only one thinking that it was some kind of lemonade?

God damn now that i think about that, its disgusting, i was thinking my character was freshing up with some sweet ass lemonade after a day of logging trees, now i can imagine him with tartar sauce all over his face while crying and choking back tears.

Definitely been thinking it was lemonade too. Welp.

As a Brit I know I am biased, but I love how British slang has made it's way in. In a way I would imagine my character to be British (maybe on holiday to West Point at the time of the outbreak) and the way things are named in game are just how she says them.

I'd love if, in my nice safehouse, I could sit down with a Hot Cuppa with my neighbour in hopes of catching Corrie on television.

And here I was thinking I was drinking some kind of lemonade all this time... 

So i wasn't the only one thinking that it was some kind of lemonade?

God damn now that i think about that, its disgusting, i was thinking my character was freshing up with some sweet ass lemonade after a day of logging trees, now i can imagine him with tartar sauce all over his face while crying and choking back tears.

Definitely been thinking it was lemonade too. Welp.

As a Brit I know I am biased, but I love how British slang has made it's way in. In a way I would imagine my character to be British (maybe on holiday to West Point at the time of the outbreak) and the way things are named in game are just how she says them.

I'd love if, in my nice safehouse, I could sit down with a Hot Cuppa with my neighbour in hopes of catching Corrie on television.

Ughh my sister watches that, no thank you. I'll watch eastenders lol

I'm British but please listen to the locals! if you set a game in a certain area you have to keep it true to that area. i imagine the the dev team already know this but hey.........

if Americans don't have a 'nice cuppa' then it should probably be removed at a later date. leave it in as long as possible but if it has to go then it has to go! If you really want to drink tea that bad set the game in Britain.      

Most items in the game use plain English a few use British spellings/slang probably because the devs are British themselves. I don't get why that annoys you so much, Do you feel every game has to use strict american English (most do anyway) Project Zomboid is the only game I have ever played that has a few British spellings in it instead of everything american, What is the problem. Try to remember this game is targeted to a global audience not just Americans, The devs don't speak american English they speak British English and are based in the U.K. Do you want them (an indie studio) to hire someone to go through the entire game to make sure everything is completely american English will you pay that persons wage for doing this job?

If it annoys you that much go in and mod the names, It would only take you a few minutes sure.

they are only saying this because the game is set in america. if it was set in England i am sure most of these people would have no problem with the words. I say most as there are always some idiots in the world

Remoulade is seemingly common in Kentucky or Kentucky recipes, so.No, that one's not the problem here.

Never heard of the stuff. I'll ask some of my friends tonight if they've heard of it.

Lots of results for it, backing up Rathlord's previous claims about it being commonly used with fish:

http://www.jeffruby.com/louisville/menu

I must be bored. :-|

Mmm...sorry, but having it show up as an item on a menu here and there or as part of some specialty recipe does not make it 'common' in Kentucky.  The point made by others here still stands:  It's vastly overrepresented in the game to the detriment of things that are actually far more common (like Ketchup, for instance) in your average Kentucky household.

Well, if you'd like to do your own search in the Google, you'll find other results.

But I'm going with if something is sold at common chain restraunts such as Outback Steakhouse, it's probably less rare than you think.

If I'm not mistaken, Rathlord is also from a nearby state.

In all honesty, I'd never even heard of the stuff until PZ.  Didn't know what it was at all.  In 45 years, the first time I ever heard of it was when I launched this game.  That should hopefully give you some idea how unusual an item it is :)

Also, 'Outback Steakhouse', while it is a large chain, is not that large and is a fairly latecomer to the American scene.  And it derives its inspiration from Australia, which would make the things you find on its menu not necessarily representative of America ;)

Honestly, as far as the whole remoluade thing, if it was tartar sauce it wouldn't be such a big deal (as its definitely NOT common in households, and is something you'd only really see in chain restaurants). It may be more common in cities like Louisville, but its not really common in more rural areas of KY.