Diagnosis and Injury Re-vamp

Jericoshost

I have been playing a bit on MP and SB, and have noticed a few things about first aid and I have thought of a few improvements that would benefit game play in SP and MP, especially after animals and NPC's are added. Though these will still have immediate benefits.

First:

Wider array of injuries and diseases.

Animal bites, ragged wounds, piercing injuries, Deep wounds, and more diseases.

Some of these are planned, but I'm mentioning them for this idea.

Ragged wounds would have a higher chance of infection and take longer to heal.

Second:

Diagnosis and (Importantly) Misdiagnosis

The higher your first aid skill, the easier it is to diagnose injuries and illness. As well diagnosing through bandages (Auto success on self) on others with higher level.

Now onto the part which will add SO much fun and depth to the importance of the first aid skill:

Misdiagnosis:

Is it a dog bite, or a zombie bite? Were they stabbed with a screwdriver, or shot? That wound is really ragged, I'm not sure if it came from a window or a dog, or could it be a zombie bite?

Right now, any player can 'check for wounds' and in a few seconds immediately know everything that has happened to a person.

I'm no doctor, but I think a person with little to no experience with medicine (Especially extreme and bloody wounds seen in the apocalypse that are not often seen pre-apoc) is going to have a hard time discerning one wound from another, especially a very rough and ragged one.

Remember, even trained Doctors can make a misdiagnosis, and they have training and access to the internet for references. It takes years of experience to get good at it, and even then mistakes are made.

You might think an animal bite and z bite would look different, you can look up human bites and see the teeth.

However the difference is typically a human bite is to cause pain and they won't try to rip flesh off, a zombie will bite and rip and tear into the flesh much like an animal trying to eat.

An amateur diagnos-ee could be easily confused and/or make a mistake.

And diagnosing a sickness? Without a medical history, a reference system, or blood work?

The person has all the symptoms of a flu, but the infection is the same in early stages.

And the fun part:

Imagine in MP or SP a person or NPC is wearing a ski-mask or something to hide his/her ID while they rob safehouses, a victim shoots them and they flee.

You got stabbed by a screw driver or a spike or maybe even tripped over a branch in the woods, and have a peircing wound (A small, round hole.) The players hold you at gunpoint and diagnose you, the PC in question has a low First Aid Skill and misdiagnosis the wound as a gunshot.

You find an NPC/PC with the electrician job who can run generators, but they have a rough wound (Which is just a mess, harder to diagnose and heal) you try to diagnose and your PC thinks it's a bite. What do you do? Waste Medicine on someone who could just die anyways, or use medicine on someone who could be a huge help later? What if you are wrong?

And as well higher levels make it easier to diagnose a bandaged wound. Being covered would make it harder to diagnose.

And finally, very important: The ability to diagnose yourself.

There have been a number of times I take off a bandage thinking I'm healed (Status: OK, no pain, bandage is still clean) only to find out I'm still bleeding and rushing to grab a new clean bandage.

So what does everyone think about this? Leave a message if you like it, I hope somebody on staff see's and likes!

Edit: Maybe when you remove something from a wound, you keep the bloody -thing- as proof?

Also from Asparagus, diagnosing the dead to figure out how someone died. Murder or accident?

Be especially neat if an NPC diagnosed a dead friend and mis-diagnosed them.

I have been playing a bit on MP and SB, and have noticed a few things about first aid and I have thought of a few improvements that would benefit game play in SP and MP, especially after animals and NPC's are added. Though these will still have immediate benefits.

First:

Wider array of injuries and diseases.

Animal bites, ragged wounds, piercing injuries, Deep wounds, and more diseases.

Some of these are planned, but I'm mentioning them for this idea.

Ragged wounds would have a higher chance of infection and take longer to heal.

Second:

Diagnosis and (Importantly) Misdiagnosis

The higher your first aid skill, the easier it is to diagnose injuries and illness. As well diagnosing through bandages (Auto success on self) on others with higher level.

Now onto the part which will add SO much fun and depth to the importance of the first aid skill:

Misdiagnosis:

Is it a dog bite, or a zombie bite? Were they stabbed with a screwdriver, or shot? That wound is really ragged, I'm not sure if it came from a window or a dog, or could it be a zombie bite?

Right now, any player can 'check for wounds' and in a few seconds immediately know everything that has happened to a person.

I'm no doctor, but I think a person with little to no experience with medicine (Especially extreme and bloody wounds seen in the apocalypse that are not often seen pre-apoc) is going to have a hard time discerning one wound from another, especially a very rough and ragged one.

Remember, even trained Doctors can make a misdiagnosis, and they have training and access to the internet for references. It takes years of experience to get good at it, and even then mistakes are made.

You might think an animal bite and z bite would look different, you can look up human bites and see the teeth.

However the difference is typically a human bite is to cause pain and they won't try to rip flesh off, a zombie will bite and rip and tear into the flesh much like an animal trying to eat.

An amateur diagnos-ee could be easily confused and/or make a mistake.

And diagnosing a sickness? Without a medical history, a reference system, or blood work?

The person has all the symptoms of a flu, but the infection is the same in early stages.

And the fun part:

Imagine in MP or SP a person or NPC is wearing a ski-mask or something to hide his/her ID while they rob safehouses, a victim shoots them and they flee.

You got stabbed by a screw driver or a spike or maybe even tripped over a branch in the woods, and have a peircing wound (A small, round hole.) The players hold you at gunpoint and diagnose you, the PC in question has a low First Aid Skill and misdiagnosis the wound as a gunshot.

You find an NPC/PC with the electrician job who can run generators, but they have a rough wound (Which is just a mess, harder to diagnose and heal) you try to diagnose and your PC thinks it's a bite. What do you do? Waste Medicine on someone who could just die anyways, or use medicine on someone who could be a huge help later? What if you are wrong?

And as well higher levels make it easier to diagnose a bandaged wound. Being covered would make it harder to diagnose.

And finally, very important: The ability to diagnose yourself. There have been a number of times I take off a bandage thinking I'm healed (Status: OK, no pain, bandage is still clean) only to find out I'm still bleeding and rushing to grab a new clean bandage.

So what does everyone think about this? Leave a message if you like it, I hope somebody on staff see's and likes!

i had a whole list of medical ideas ready to go but this... its amazing! i had never even thought of most of these possibilities. This is a great idea and i cant emphasize how much i love it.

snipped

i had a whole list of medical ideas ready to go but this... its amazing! i had never even thought of most of these possibilities. This is a great idea and i cant emphasize how much i love it.

Oh! thanks so much for the compliment! (clyde)  *Celebrates*

snipped

Oh! thanks so much for the compliment! (clyde)  *Celebrates*

I mean i had never thought of this and it would be great both in mp and singleplayer for NPC's

*climbs window*

"Agh, I cut myself on this window..."

"Let me see that... nope it was definitely from a zombie."

"... it's from the window..."

"No... I'm a doctor and I say zombie scratch... O__O"

"Whatever, hand me the disinfectant and some rags..."

"Just sayin' dude... zombie scratch..."

"T__T yeah, yeah..."

5 days later...

<unintelligible garbling>

"... Told ya' O__O"

Never doubt doctors O__O 

*climbs window*

"T__T yeah, yeah..."

5 days later...

"... Told ya' O__O"

Never doubt doctors O__O 

I more think it as, at lvl 0 First Aid you have a 50/50 chance of proper diagnosis, and at max you have 1-10% chance of diagnosis (Maybe starting as a doctor gives extra % chance of proper diagnosis?).

So almost never doubt doctors. Sometimes. Maybe.

99% of the time they're right every time.

*climbs window*

"T__T yeah, yeah..."

5 days later...

"... Told ya' O__O"

Never doubt doctors O__O 

I more think it as, at lvl 0 First Aid you have a 50/50 chance of proper diagnosis, and at max you have 1-10% chance of diagnosis (Maybe starting as a doctor gives extra % chance of proper diagnosis?).

i feel the chance of getting it right should be average at the beginning and then get more complex as you go up but doctors and nurses already have a higher understanding. Doctors should be able to tell things like a stab from a knife or a shot from a gun, was the burn from while he was cooking or an attempt to put out a fire. This also could open a new job. A criminal investigator with a skill to be able to tell weather it was a human bite or a dog bite. was it a gun shot or a stabbing. did he drink poison or was it a natural death.

*climbs window*

"T__T yeah, yeah..."

5 days later...

"... Told ya' O__O"

Never doubt doctors O__O 

i feel the chance of getting it right should be average at the beginning and then get more complex as you go up but doctors and nurses already have a higher understanding. Doctors should be able to tell things like a stab from a knife or a shot from a gun, was the burn from while he was cooking or an attempt to put out a fire. This also could open a new job. A criminal investigator with a skill to be able to tell weather it was a human bite or a dog bite. was it a gun shot or a stabbing. did he drink poison or was it a natural death.

That would be a medical examiner... or a coroner... but in a pinch, a doctor or a nurse should be able to identify them...

I guess we should also put a new trait called "Common sense"? O__O

This would be nice, since if you injure yourself on the window, YOU know it's a window scratch. This could add a lot of tension between NPC and player interactions. I reaaaally can't wait for NPC's, yo. My bases are always huge with many bedrooms and all I can do is sleep in them myself ;-;

*climbs window*

"T__T yeah, yeah..."

5 days later...

"... Told ya' O__O"

Never doubt doctors O__O 

That would be a medical examiner... or a coroner... but in a pinch, a doctor or a nurse should be able to identify them...

if only everyone had this trait there may not have ever been a zombie infection. if the lore follows a virus, bacteria, or serum sort of story line.

*climbs window*

"T__T yeah, yeah..."

5 days later...

"... Told ya' O__O"

Never doubt doctors O__O 

if only everyone had this trait there may not have ever been a zombie infection. if the lore follows a virus, bacteria, or serum sort of story line.

IRL, what would you people do in case someone you loved turned into a zombie...

wait, Imma make a new topic... is there a "What would you have done during the start of the spread of the zombie infection?" or something like it... O__O

*climbs window*

"T__T yeah, yeah..."

5 days later...

"... Told ya' O__O"

Never doubt doctors O__O 

IRL, what would you people do in case someone you loved turned into a zombie...

wait, Imma make a new topic... is there a "What would you have done during the start of the spread of the zombie infection?" or something like it... O__O

dont think so and my thought. raid all the ammo and medicine. then commence my whole plan. i have a book full of them for every scenario. everything from zombies to flying monkeys to dancing watermelon. i am ready.

This would be nice, since if you injure yourself on the window, YOU know it's a window scratch. This could add a lot of tension between NPC and player interactions. I reaaaally can't wait for NPC's, yo. My bases are always huge with many bedrooms and all I can do is sleep in them myself ;-;

Who isn't excited for npc's? :D

And yeah, thats the hope, as well to add a bit of drama to MP interactions!

Who isn't excited for npc's? :D

And yeah, thats the hope, as well to add a bit of drama to MP interactions!

you finally meet up with a friend and now you both get shot from the nearby house and die. Npcs on the other hand will now be all like "goodbye" then fire at you. storm trooper aim activate.

And an other idea:Unconsciousness or even coma

Caused by extreme (not complete deadly) damage. Like getting muliple shot, getting hit with an baseballbat in the head... Unconsciousness is not so easy to cure, but possible. Coma is almost an dead sentens without to waste many meds. Diagnosis would be pretty easy, lying on the ground :P

But maybe you think he's dead but he's slowly bleeding to death..

As now i dont have the plesure to loot the cortman medics. Just rip some sheets up, and its done.

And maybe dying status, your alive, mostly in coma but your so badly wounded so no medical help for you. Funny moments with this:

*some newbe joint on the server, playing around, joining an clan, the others are away and the newbe is alone with the leader*

*leader gets shot with hunting rifle*

"Fuck"

*newbe drags leader behind cover*

"Shit i think he's dead"

*newbe kills the shooter*

*others come to help*

"Doctor: Hell, he's almost dead! We cant help him, he lost to much blood, why you dont bandage him?"

Maybe add it, that you can bandage even if he is dead.

Caused by extreme (not complete deadly) damage. Like getting muliple shot, getting hit with an baseballbat in the head... Unconsciousness is not so easy to cure, but possible. Coma is almost an dead sentens without to waste many meds. Diagnosis would be pretty easy, lying on the ground :P

As now i dont have the plesure to loot the cortman medics. Just rip some sheets up, and its done.

And maybe dying status, your alive, mostly in coma but your so badly wounded so no medical help for you. Funny moments with this:

*some newbe joint on the server, playing around, joining an clan, the others are away and the newbe is alone with the leader*

"Fuck"

"Shit i think he's dead"

*others come to help*

"Doctor: Hell, he's almost dead! We cant help him, he lost to much blood, why you dont bandage him?"

Interesting idea, but I think it would fit better in a different thread. My thread is mostly about diagnosis.

"Fuck"

"Shit i think he's dead"

*others come to help*

Interesting idea, but I think it would fit better in a different thread. My thread is mostly about diagnosis.

well diagnosing dead corpses is a thing so why not this?

"Fuck"

"Shit i think he's dead"

*others come to help*

well diagnosing dead corpses is a thing so why not this?

I'm talking about the unconscious and coma part.

The whole mis-identifying alive from dead part could be a part.

More Advanced:Psychology,

With the job Psychologist. He could see if someone is depressed (EXTREME INTENSE FOR ROLEPLAY! For playing with friends pretty useless) He also could see if players are "angry" (you know the old "Good Neutral and Evil" display?) Something like that he could see. He also gets very slow in depression, and he can heal some depressions.

With the job Psychologist. He could see if someone is depressed (EXTREME INTENSE FOR ROLEPLAY! For playing with friends pretty useless) He also could see if players are "angry" (you know the old "Good Neutral and Evil" display?) Something like that he could see. He also gets very slow in depression, and he can heal some depressions.

Like counseling? Yeah, I can see that in multi-player... but I think in SP, it would be like he was talking to himself... O__O

Like counseling? Yeah, I can see that in multi-player... but I think in SP, it would be like he was talking to himself... O__O

insanity.

insanity.

So like, do you gain happiness or lose it when you talk to yourself... I mean perform "self-counseling"? O__O 

insanity.

So like, do you gain happiness or lose it when you talk to yourself... I mean perform "self-counseling"? O__O 

that could work.