"I died from a scratch from a broken window" and more...

Asparagus

Traits: Hard of Hearing, Over-weight, Lucky, Resilient, Stout.

I was happily clearing out Cortman Medical and about a 1-block radius with my trusty kitchen knives, but the place had broken windows galore. The ones near the front door were completely smashed.

Of course, lazy me, pressed "E" near the door and ended up climbing up on the broken window. I got a scratch and patched myself up with a sterilized rag. I slept upstairs. The next day, zeds were downstairs and I had to lure them out and dispatch them. Went smoothly. Not a scratch. But again, "E"-ing on the door and, yes, climbed again, and got another scratch... like the odds of getting a scratch from windows were against me. I patched it up... about 3 days passed, I ate fresh food, clean water, changed the bandages with sterile sheets, going well. then one day, I got sick...

I still had scratches though they weren't bleeding anymore... I ate fresh food and water, no white berries, didn't stay in the rain for more than a few seconds and I dry off quickly.

Yet the illness persisted. And added to it, I became "terrified". I kept up a regimen of sleep, food, water, and tried to avoid conflict. I also reduced the weight I carried to just a few items per run. But I got sicker and sicker and eventually got a fever. Food nor rest didn't help.

I woke up one day, fever in motion... I grabbed all my knives and axes, went downstairs and outside and found a small group of zeds. I fought them in the rain... the knives went under their heads and found their way to their brains. Moving away and shoving most of them until they were almost in a line... one by one they came... one by one they fell...

After the carnage, I was left empty, save for the heat in my head, and body and a triumphant, yet saddening warmth in my soul... I fell to my illness and joined the undead ranks... shuffling around aimlessly... all I have accomplished, all I have done... gone...

*end scene, exit stage left*

tr;dl: Basically, I died from scratches (that I got from windows) and no, the scratches had never had the "infected" tag on them so I was kinda bummed when I watched Ellie Bishop (that's her name... give a shout out if you know where it's from :3) waste away (from getting sick/fever)... from window scratches...

Questions:

• Is this intended or a bug?
  • Could the windows have been infected when a zed went through them and some skin, blood, fluid was left behind and I got infected when I went through the window and got a scratch? (but the scratches never got an "infected" tag)
  • Other than the god-like antibiotics, what other effective ways are there to get well from illnesses? (Aside from being well-fed, resting, and drinking bleach?)

O__O

Also, can't we "open" windows that are already broken? All that's broken is the glass anyway, can't we simply have them open the windows to bypass the glass? Like when a burglar breaks the window/door to get to the latch/door knob.

EDIT: added clarifications in bold and parenthesis in the tr;dl.

you do know we have an option to clear the broken glass, right?

Now I do... O__O

So, you're saying that:

• Could the windows have been infected when a zed went through them and some skin, blood, fluid was left behind and I got infected when I went through the window and got a scratch? (but the scratches never got an "infected" tag)

Is a thing? Alright... my issue is not the scratch itself but what happened afterwards... I got a scratch from a window, not a zombie and yet I got sick and died... no "infected" tag on the scratch and kept myself healthy.

I have never ever got infected by a scratch from a window also if you do get zombie infected it never tells you directly the infected thing that shows up is a reg infection not the zombie kind lol also did you ge scratched/bitten when killing all them zombies and if not did your dude turn into a zombie?

Most likely ether a bug or a reg sickness death prob bug though

I have never ever got infected by a scratch from a window also if you do get zombie infected it never tells you directly the infected thing that shows up is a reg infection not the zombie kind lol also did you ge scratched/bitten when killing all them zombies and if not did your dude turn into a zombie?

Most likely ether a bug or a reg sickness death prob bug though

Nope, not a scratch from the zed... I try to be SUUUUUUUUUPER careful and if I want to take a group apart, I get in one of the zeds' line of sight and lure them away from the rest in a safe place... repeat until all are dead... but if I had to I could take 5 at a time... make them come at me at the same time then swing large with a bat or ax and hopefully they fall in a fan shape and you just "whack a mole" them, hitting them one at a time so they don't get up and eventually they all die XD

So no, no scratches or bites from zeds... just the windows this time... :T

ok but still take note of the first thing I said lol

I did O__O and I know that...

I did not get a zombie related injury, only my own idiocy from and I am not talking about zombification... It's the illness from seemingly nowhere which killed me that's the issue... :T

Did you... did you read the whole thing though? O__O

Well you could say a zombie went through that window and left blood, or that the blood on you was allowed to enter your skin by the broken glass cuts.

But in all realism it probably is a poor scripting error that was a callback to the "scratched" condition rather than a subsection of it that wasn't modified to eliminate the possibility of zed infection from it. Strangest things in coding like that. Tl; Dr : It's probably a lazy coding job because yes I've had that happen to me as well.

Also: The lucky trait does nothing for zed infections, only loot drops. The resilient trait merely slows the rare of zombification. What you want is a higher guard level and thick skin trait.

Now I do... O__O

So, you're saying that:

Is a thing? Alright... my issue is not the scratch itself but what happened afterwards... I got a scratch from a window, not a zombie and yet I got sick and died... no "infected" tag on the scratch and kept myself healthy.

not saying anything like that. rather, i'm pointing out that you can avoid the scratches altogether by clearing the broken glass out of the window frame first

Now I do... O__O

So, you're saying that:

not saying anything like that. rather, i'm pointing out that you can avoid the scratches altogether by clearing the broken glass out of the window frame first

Well, all you mentioned was the clearing the glass, and left out my outlandish (...or is it? O__O) theory of getting infected sick from the broken glass...

But yeah, I did get what you meant, I was just messing around :3 (or was I? O__O I usually overthink things and read between the invisible lines...)

Some possibilities cross my mind:

1. You have the resilient trait, which can delay the occurance of zombification symptoms. Has your char any history of scratches by zombies before you had the window accidents?

2. Are you sure that all the food you have eaten was fresh? I once accidently ate some rotten food cause it turned into rotten just a second before I started eating it. Resilient could have an effect here too, so maybe you ate something rotten (or poison berries) before the window accidents.

3. Was your char wet before the window accidents? So you might have caught you a cold that causes the feaver and it was not caused by the scratches from broken glass later on?

I can't tell how resilient affects the development of symptoms after you have got zombie infected or after you caught yourself a regular diseases cause I never played with that trait.

It seems to me that for non-zombie related injuries, infection should be a prerequisite for fever.  If you gash yourself and it gets infected that could lead to fever if the infection gets worse but you should not go from wounded to fever without infection. 

That seems like a bug or a game flaw in my opinion.

My advice - remove the broken glass from every broken window you encounter.  I do it obsessively. 

Some possibilities cross my mind:

1. You have the resilient trait, which can delay the occurance of zombification symptoms. Has your char any history of scratches by zombies before you had the window accidents?

2. Are you sure that all the food you have eaten was fresh? I once accidently ate some rotten food cause it turned into rotten just a second before I started eating it. Resilient could have an effect here too, so maybe you ate something rotten (or poison berries) before the window accidents.

3. Was your char wet before the window accidents? So you might have caught you a cold that causes the feaver and it was not caused by the scratches from broken glass later on?

I can't tell how resilient affects the development of symptoms after you have got zombie infected or after you caught yourself a regular diseases cause I never played with that trait.

Personally it sounds to me that you got scratched by a zombie while fighting, didn't notice, and then thought it was climbing through the window.

I got scratched by a zed on the first day when I didn't have any weapons on me, but I did have a bottle of disinfectant and went ahead and patched myself up. over time, the scratch healed up and I was fine. No pain, no health issue, everything was normal. No other zed related injury... I was too afraid of dying (again) to take on more than 5 at a time so I was cautious and lured them out one by one...

Days passed and my brother and I discovered the new avat-- I mean days passed and I was perfectly healthy, I usually have the health window open when I get into fights (but usually I check after a fight but a bleeding moodle pops up when I get injured so that's another thing to note so I do notice these things)

Could that first scratch from the first day have a delayed effect because of the resilient trait? O__O 

Actually, I don't think it is delayed that much. 5 days seem to be very long. But I have no experience with resilient, yet. I just know that resilient has a slower rate of zombification. I usually use the opposite trait "prone to illness", in this case the zombification process starts after about 12 hours with nausea and agony moodle showing up, health loss starts about 24 hours later. Before the zombification symptoms start I can recover to full health by eating or sleeping. I assume without prone to illness these time periods are about 1 day till symptoms start and 2 days before health loss. So the longest time you have to wait between getting scatched and be sure not to be infected if you have resilient trait should be 4 days.

But what I can say for sure, desinfection doesn't work for zombification infection. Just regular infections can be treated or prevented by desinfecting the wound.

I have died from broken glass scratches too, before 'remove broken glass' was added in. One time I had no medical supplies on hand, and it healed up fine, and another time I had plenty of supplies but I got a fever and died (didn't reanimate). I've only died this way a handful of times but still, I noticed no pattern to it.

I think every time you get an open wound, you have a chance of getting an infection (note: "infection" doesn't always mean zombie virus) and/or a chance of getting sick. And every time you get sick it has a chance to just be fatal from the start. 

Lel , I hate a pretty bad one too , I was going to cook something one day , and I knew that that thing would cook real slow , so I went out and killed some more zombies in the perimeter(it was near night , about 7 P.M.) I went back inside and finished reading my Crafting for intermediates and went to bed , forgetting about the thing that was burning in my oven , I woke up in the morning while my house and I was on fire , and that is how I died.