Skill Point Available , Blue square with a white 3 .

NathWill

Ok , this might have been discussed or a really stupid question . What does the "Skill points available" mean in the skills panel ? I've looked for some sort of answer but have found nothing . In my skill panel there is a Blue square with a white 3 in it . It sits next to the Skill points available at the top of the panel . What is this for , mean or used for ? Screen shot of what I mean as well .

post-23746-0-71584700-1436754976_thumb.p

Those are points you can spend on the various skills. You have to get XP to get skill points, then also work on the skills. So if you want to add one of those points to sprinting, you have to sprint til the next available box becomes a plus(+) sign.

For some reason they did it that way, and rarely have I leveled a skill without having an available skill point to put in it.

Those are points you can spend on the various skills. You have to get XP to get skill points, then also work on the skills. So if you want to add one of those points to sprinting, you have to sprint til the next available box becomes a plus(+) sign.

For some reason they did it that way, and rarely have I leveled a skill without having an available skill point to put in it.

They did it that way as an attempt to make people choose what to advance and choose what not to advance.  Theoretically the skill points were supposed to be more of a limit to stop people from being good in everything.  However, in practice you almost always have enough points to level a skill as soon as it fills the square.  In my opinion, the modifiers to XP depending upon what you pick at character creation do an excellent job at not letting you max everything.

Are skill points now obsolete?  Maybe I just have not lived long enough to see skill points limit my advancement but it seems that way to me.