Memorial Desk in main menu

LeoIvanov

So, recently after playing a bit of Xcom, i've noticed a small option that shows a bunch of people that unfortunately died during the missions, their names, ex-rank and when they died, how much missions they did prior to their death.

I was thinking something similar for zomboid - Memorial Desk for all the death characters that you had - It's "portrait" (from the in game character, set of clothes that (s)he worn before getting mauled by undead), for how long survived, and a particular set of "achievements" that (s)he managed to get. E.G: Built X walls, planted X crops, Killed X Zombies. Also, how he died (Infection after bite, Eaten by zombie(s), Died from gunshot (After NPC's are back in), Died from Fever/Sickness, Died from Starvation/Dehydration)

That way whoever gets the most survival time goes to the top of the list, whilst the smallest survival times go at the bottom. You can access that list and get all nostalgic about how good your characters were.

Similarly, you could also (that one is optional) add the hall of survivors, where you have a full list of currently alive characters in survival mode. It'll work the same as when you press "info" panel in game, as it shows the current character, it's traits, killed zombies and time survived. As always - character with longest time survived gets to the top, while with the latter - to the bottom.

Tell me what do you think.

You could use the skills for nicknames. If you have a character "Robert Lopez" he'd be called Robert "Greenthumbs" Lopez if he had high gardening skill.

Others:

Robert "The axe" Lopez

Robert "Flash" Lopez

Robert "Handiman" Lopez

And upon death you could allow the player to type a short text commemorating the character, and then possibly publish it to the online mausoleum!

I always wondered how long the longest living survivor has survived.

Actually this idea has been suggested before:

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/451-rip-wall/

In short I am all for an RIP wall or a Memorial desk in which to record and remember past characters. However I am not in favour of organizing characters in order of longest survived. It turns it into a scoreboard instead of a memorial board, I am not alone in thinking that Project Zomboid shouldn't be scored and should remain a story based game.

If this were implemented I would like to see it as listing your most recently deceased characters first.

My post from the 'RIP wall'

Perhaps refining the idea it could looks something like this?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RIP Wall (you can delete entries as you choose, they can only be added by playing the game)

Kees, The Lumberjack                  -Read more                                                     (Most recently Deceased Character)

Rianne, Pewpew-Laserbeams      -Read more (Clickable)

Epic, Moonbeam                            -Read more

Eliza, Amaranth                             -Read more

...                                                                                                                         (Earliest Deceased Character)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When read more is clicked it displays....

_____________

Rianne, Pewpew-laserbeams                       |                         |

Age: 27                                                                        |                         |

Sex: Female                                                                |           Picture   |

Profession: Construction worker                                |                         |

Traits:                                                                          |_____________|

Thick Skinned, Handy

"Damn it! I knew I shouldn't have opened that door" (this is the 'last words' you write at the end)

Favourite Weapon: Golf Club

Favourite Food: Cooked Chicken

Miles Travelled: 17 miles

Structures/Barricades Built: 2

Zombies Killed: 24

Survivors Killed: 0

Survived For 5 days, 8 hour.

Died from Becoming zombie food at Burgers

Skills: (Listing Levels)

Blunt *

Blade

Aiming
Reloading

Carpentry *

Cooking **

Farming
Sprinting **
Lightfooted *
Nimble *
Sneaking **

Friends: (pretend NPCs Exist)

NPC 1

NPC 2 (dead)

NPC 3

Enemies:

NPC 4

NPC 5 (dead)

NPC 6 (dead)

(Now say we included my journal idea aswell: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/798-journals/)

Journal Entries:

Day 1: Ran half way across the town just to get to the Pile'o'crepes. Hopefully I can wall it off and live there. I found this book and thought i should begin writing in case something happens. I've taken up refugee in a house close by to the Pile'o'crepes, I'll clear zombies out and move in once I've finished barricading everything.

Day 3: went to investigate the pile'o'crepes and discovered and enormous horde. I was luckily able to escape and even more move them away from the shopping district. Things are looking up, I might be able to actually pull this off.

Day 4: Damn it! gunshot lured the zombies right through my safehouse. I was barely able to make it out alive. Right now about 20 zombies stand between me and all my suppies. I am currently hiding in the pile'o'crepes but realize I can't stay here for long. With no where to sleep I will eventually pass out. I need to find somewhere to sleep, perhaps one of the other stores will have chairs I can sleep in, I can only hope.

-End Entries-

This kind of setup doesn't limit your game to a single score, it does however give you details on how you lived. While one person might have survived 4 years 34 days and 20 hours another might have walked 1768 miles and another might have killed 2375 zombies and 500 survivors. one might have befriended all the NPCs and owned a fort having a miniature society in the middle of zombie territory, over 500 structures built (individual walls etc).

Point is there is no winner or better player because each character will have their strong and weak points. things they did better and things they did worse. This system is meant to reflect that as a wall to remember characters, instead of judging them.

In short I am all for an RIP wall or a Memorial desk in which to record and remember past characters. However I am not in favour of organizing characters in order of longest survived. It turns it into a scoreboard instead of a memorial board, I am not alone in thinking that Project Zomboid shouldn't be scored and should remain a story based game.

If this were implemented I would like to see it as listing your most recently deceased characters first.

RIP Wall (you can delete entries as you choose, they can only be added by playing the game)

Kees, The Lumberjack                  -Read more                                                     (Most recently Deceased Character)

...                                                                                                                         (Earliest Deceased Character)

_____________

Age: 27                                                                        |                         |

Sex: Female                                                                |           Picture   |

Profession: Construction worker                                |                         |

Traits:                                                                          |_____________|

Thick Skinned, Handy

"Damn it! I knew I shouldn't have opened that door" (this is the 'last words' you write at the end)

Blunt *

Blade

Aiming

Reloading

Carpentry *

Cooking **

Farming

Sprinting **

Lightfooted *

Nimble *

Sneaking **

NPC 1

NPC 2 (dead)

NPC 3

Enemies:

NPC 4

NPC 5 (dead)

NPC 6 (dead)

(Now say we included my journal idea aswell: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/798-journals/)

Journal Entries:

Day 1: Ran half way across the town just to get to the Pile'o'crepes. Hopefully I can wall it off and live there. I found this book and thought i should begin writing in case something happens. I've taken up refugee in a house close by to the Pile'o'crepes, I'll clear zombies out and move in once I've finished barricading everything.

Day 3: went to investigate the pile'o'crepes and discovered and enormous horde. I was luckily able to escape and even more move them away from the shopping district. Things are looking up, I might be able to actually pull this off.

Day 4: Damn it! gunshot lured the zombies right through my safehouse. I was barely able to make it out alive. Right now about 20 zombies stand between me and all my suppies. I am currently hiding in the pile'o'crepes but realize I can't stay here for long. With no where to sleep I will eventually pass out. I need to find somewhere to sleep, perhaps one of the other stores will have chairs I can sleep in, I can only hope.

-End Entries-

This kind of setup doesn't limit your game to a single score, it does however give you details on how you lived. While one person might have survived 4 years 34 days and 20 hours another might have walked 1768 miles and another might have killed 2375 zombies and 500 survivors. one might have befriended all the NPCs and owned a fort having a miniature society in the middle of zombie territory, over 500 structures built (individual walls etc).

Point is there is no winner or better player because each character will have their strong and weak points. things they did better and things they did worse. This system is meant to reflect that as a wall to remember characters, instead of judging them.

As you can see from the name of the thread, I did not figure out to search for "RIP" wall, and instead searched for "Memorial Desk", sorry for repeating the topic...

As for whatever is in that spoiler - that was my whole idea in nutshell.

A "R.I.P Wall" thing was on my mind the whole time. Nice to see some people share the same idea with me. I always wanted something like long list of statistics that is related to my character when he die instead of be forgotten by the sands of time.

Also, Have to say that Journal idea is a must for PZ. Writing your own journal whilst surviving makes you sink even deeper into the game. Project Zomboid being a game about taking your time and cherishing your actions and adventures will benefit greatly from this.

_____________

Thick Skinned, Handy

Blunt *

Blade

Aiming

Reloading

Carpentry *

Cooking **

Farming

Sprinting **

Lightfooted *

Nimble *

Sneaking **

NPC 1

NPC 2 (dead)

NPC 3

Enemies:

NPC 4

NPC 5 (dead)

NPC 6 (dead)

Journal Entries:

-End Entries-

As you can see from the name of the thread, I did not figure out to search for "RIP" wall, and instead searched for "Memorial Desk", sorry for repeating the topic...

As for whatever is in that spoiler - that was my whole idea in nutshell.

lol Yeah so many different names it's difficult to think of just 1 to look up xD.

Personally, I think this changes the focus of the game from your current character to past characters, and I'd rather not that.

It's a personal choice, though.

Uhm.

I thought the focus of the game was the zombie apocalypse, and stories that you create by yourself when you survive in it? I mean, it's always fun to (let's say) write your own story, but wouldn't you just love to have ability to re-read it sometimes?

When you spent about 2-3 days of your real life time to survive for 3 months, you'd most likely not get satisfied when your character finally dies from bite/scratch, or whatever else the cause can be. Also, you've spent your time with that character, of course at some point in the future you'd want to re-visit your character wall to get all emotional and nostalgic, or maybe learn something about what you did in the past and why it was bad/good.

And, after all, it could just be a board that shows your personal survival records. So you can beat them anytime. I, for once, have to memorize them so I can beat them. And it ain't no fun I tell ya' :/