Limit size/distance for supported constructions

I've found the simplest and easiest method to survival since I got this game many alphas ago was to build completely at at-least one level above ground.

The "problem" I encountered is that there is no requirement for an actual supporting structure.  Once you can get to the second floor and start building your base, you are not required to actually support it.  This means that once you find yourself a nice sledge and set up your sheet rope in the second story window, there is nothing stopping you from knocking out the stairs and walls below and just continue building up/out out without regard to distance to any actual supports.

It seem to me that the simplest and fastest way would be to tie it directly to the carpentry and/or engineering skill at a rate of 5 + 0.5 tile distance per skill point from a support (read: wall) below it giving a range of 5-15 tiles between supports (10 carpentry AND engineering).  Simple prevention from building any further out and should a support disappear, a radial scan for things which would come crashing down.  It could be assumed that the initial map assets are built at a level depending on the structure, houses less, commercial buildings more, but anything player built would be restricted to player skills.

I suppose most people have been just using common sense and self-limiting in this respect, but there is no actual in-game mechanic stopping you from building a completely floating safehouse or long elevated walkways from the forest through town.

I'd be okay with the idea that a wall or column would support a fixed radius above itself, kind of like the support columns/walls in the sims. If the column/wall is destroyed, the stuff on top would topple down with it as if it were destroyed and subsequently pull everything above with it. Imagine building a big wooden tower only supported by 4 corner support beams, and taking the corner out, watching the one side caving in would be awesome. And realistically, I don't see why this wouldn't be plausible with the engine they've got going on either. 

A support beam system wouldn't really be that complicated. Just make it so every beam/wall can support ~4 tiles on either side of itself and any tiles not supported simply collapse as if they'd been beaten down, leaving a pile of planks and nails. In the cell the player is loaded in currently, every few seconds check for support, simple as that. There are already columns you can build in the wall.

Think of the injuries from being in a collapsing building, oh boy. 

This alone would solve the sky bridge problem, unless of course you built supports under it, which would be a dangerous and time consuming, so while you could bridge two buildings together it wouldn't be as easy.

Nooooo!!!  My castle in the sky would be ruined....RUINED!  Considering Zeds attack all player made structures when they get in a "frenzy", that would be really bad.  I've noticed if they can't get to you, anything at ground level becomes an enemy to them.  Windows, doors, crates, etc.  It would be pretty awful if that were implemented and I log back in after the world update.  My whole structure would come crashing down with me in it.  At least it would be a quick death :blink:

Well of course you won't be able to make bridges across the football field now, IRL zombies would swarm and knock 'em over anyways!

Also, you'd still be able to take the stairs out of regular buildings with no trouble, so long as you leave the regular premade walls alone. 

A support beam system wouldn't really be that complicated. Just make it so every beam/wall can support ~4 tiles on either side of itself and any tiles not supported simply collapse as if they'd been beaten down, leaving a pile of planks and nails.

Yeah, this, even The Sims had something like this (Either have 4 walls around or a support beam for 4 tiles around it). Stuff didn't cave in but at least you couldn't build stuff in the air like it's nothing.

Every time I see a floating fortress a pipe bomb starts ticking in my inventory, they make zero sense, they're immersion breaking like hell and they're just plain ass stupid things that annoy the hell out of me simply because they are allowed to exist in a game that puts so much emphasis on realism that I can't even enjoy my fresh Tomatoes right because they rot faster than I get hungry.

Considering Zeds attack all player made structures when they get in a "frenzy", that would be really bad. I've noticed if they can't get to you, anything at ground level becomes an enemy to them. Windows, doors, crates, etc.

Since when do they break crates? I'm actually pretty anxious right now, sitting in my crate fortress :S

Edit: kudos for the topic idea

I remember RJ wanted to actually do this, back when building was introduced into the game.

I don't know what happened to it or if it ever made its way into the game though.

Some of the code is in the game now, but unused.

Remember how hard it was for Notch to implement non performance-crippling trees? I imagine it'd go through a similar process if it were added now (or back then).

One day.

I remember RJ wanted to actually do this, back when building was introduced into the game.

I don't know what happened to it or if it ever made its way into the game though.

Some of the code is in the game now, but unused.

Remember how hard it was for Notch to implement non performance-crippling trees? I imagine it'd go through a similar process if it were added now (or back then).

One day.

construction update maybe?