Silencer and/or Makeshift silencer

TobyTobes

A good idea would be to add silencers to the game that can be used on firearms to to decrease the distance zombies can hear you shooting. I am not suggesting that the silencer would completly remove the guns sound. I think that there should be two different types of silencers. A professional properly made silencer that can could be found in gun shops or similar areas. The other silencer would be a makeshift one that you could make from a torch that would be less effective as the professional one.

A good idea would be to add silencers to the game that can be used on firearms to to decrease the distance zombies can hear you shooting. I am not suggesting that the silencer would completly remove the guns sound. I think that there should be two different types of silencers. A professional properly made silencer that can could be found in gun shops or similar areas. The other silencer would be a makeshift one that you could make from a torch that would be less effective as the professional one.

Fist of all welcome to the forums. second there are silencers in the game, and third being able to make has been a debate fr a little while now. Sorry for the kill joy but yeah. anyways welcome to the forums.

Fist of all welcome to the forums. second there are silencers in the game, and third being able to make has been a debate fr a little while now. Sorry for the kill joy but yeah. anyways welcome to the forums.

Thanks

Not sure why it'd be a confirmed no, given the existing mechanic for gun upgrades.. Of course a suppressor doesn't actually silence the gunshot, it reduces the radius that the sound travels and reduces echo, which would be dramatically useful for any actual gun oriented run. The James Bond pew pew is just stupid for obvious reasons, but for an authentic suppressor I see no reason why it wouldn't fit the game.

we've been thru all the details of a silencer/suppressor, how they work, watched numerous youtube videos about oil can DIY  suppressors across numerous threads. we've had arguments, people who refused to admit when facts proved their assertion wrong. we've lost members and all kinds of other stuff relating this topic. it's a topic that can get out of hand quickly with those FOR including them in the game lining up against those AGAINST including them.

and they STILL remain a Confirmed No.

some things the Devs reserve the right to make the Final Decision on, and that is just how it will be.

THAT is where the modders have to step in if they want them.

Not sure why it'd be a confirmed no, given the existing mechanic for gun upgrades.. Of course a suppressor doesn't actually silence the gunshot, it reduces the radius that the sound travels and reduces echo, which would be dramatically useful for any actual gun oriented run. The James Bond pew pew is just stupid for obvious reasons, but for an authentic suppressor I see no reason why it wouldn't fit the game.

I think it's mainly because it's kind of meaningless in the game (and no matter how they're implemented, people will complain). If each tile represents a square meter, then zombies only react to sound within 100m2 of their original position.

Typical silencers seem to only reduce the sound of a gunshot by 20-30dB.

If a pistol is 165 dB, and silenced becomes 140 dB, then the effective distance is still massive, assuming Wolffram Alpha is right (Q: How far does sound travel?): 5-6 km. 

Though there's obviously many things I don't understand about this.

I'd recommend looking up the old threads to see how the community's discussion went, though. It often wasn't pretty.

I think it's mainly because it's kind of meaningless in the game (and no matter how they're implemented, people will complain). If each tile represents a square meter, then zombies only react to sound within 100m2 of their original position.

Typical silencers seem to only reduce the sound of a gunshot by 20-30dB.

If a pistol is 165 dB, and silenced becomes 140 dB, then the effective distance is still massive, assuming Wolffram Alpha is right (Q: How far does sound travel?): 5-6 km. 

Though there's obviously many things I don't understand about this.

I'd recommend looking up the old threads to see how the community's discussion went, though. It often wasn't pretty.

i forget didn't most of them in some feuds and them closing the thread to discussion until things like these popped up?

I personally wouldn't be against silencers in general if they aren't reducing the sound to an imbalanced level and don't last long long but instead degrade.

Even if they'd just reduce the loudness of the ingame gun by 30-40%, it could sometimes be worth it.

I'm afraid if we'd go down that route, we'd get quite some complaints about silencers not making the guns silent, though.

I personally wouldn't be against silencers in general if they aren't reducing the sound to an imbalanced level and don't last long long but instead degrade.

Even if they'd just reduce the loudness of the ingame gun by 30-40%, it could sometimes be worth it.

I'm afraid if we'd go down that route, we'd get quite some complaints about silencers not making the guns silent, though.

Maybe make them ballanced by using a LOT of gun skill to use, make the gun have smaller effective range,...

Reduce the noise by 40%. Also very very rare.

Then just call them suppressors, silencers only exist in the movies and video games and instead of making guns sound much quieter just have the source of sound be all over the place so zombies get confused and not necessarily flood your position in 5 minutes, which, from what I know, is what suppressors are actually only good for.

Suppressors especially makeshift ones like in TWD would be really fun and would actually make guns useful in pve, they wouldn't be op like some fear (sledgehammers are op) if they balance suppressors right it could easily work, The ideas about high rarity, high skill requirement and degradation could work, maybe even make it so you need lvl5 to use/add/remove all firearm mods. If the devs really did say no way that's a shame, Anyone know their reasoning or have a source to what exactly was said.

Chinese whispers and all.

Suppressors especially makeshift ones like in TWD would be really fun and would actually make guns useful in pve, they wouldn't be op like some fear (sledgehammers are op) if they balance suppressors right it could easily work, The ideas about high rarity, high skill requirement and degradation could work, maybe even make it so you need lvl5 to use/add/remove all firearm mods. If the devs really did say no way that's a shame, Anyone know their reasoning or have a source to what exactly was said.

Chinese whispers and all.

no clue. but the adding and taking off gun additions is not fair. i could do it as a kid when i couldn't even aim. possibly a new skill called gun maintenance having them jam or break. and you need maintenance level 2-3 to add and remove addons. there is some ok balance.