Foraging in the water.

Bennytheowl

It'd be cool if you could use the foraging skill near the water to catch crabs, mussels, frogs, snakes,turtles ect. I'm honestly not sure if you would find most of those in KY so if anyone could make a list of animals or edible things you could find near the water by foraging that'd be great.

EDIT:  Perhaps you could use one of these near the sand and have a higher chance of catching clams and stuff.

http://media.point2.com/p2a/htmltext/927f/c441/af4d/00be554b814ee4aea7b1/original.jpg

Also maybe one of those cages used to catch crustaceans could be thrown into the water. This could add a whole new job to the game called "Crabber" or  something better sounding. Again i'm not from the US so I have no idea what you would be able to catch and in what areas.

EDIT: After reading some replies I thought maybe you could get a foot infection from walking around in the wet all day in the same shoes? Wearing wellies could prevent foot infections, heat loss from the water and also stop crawling zombies from scratching your lower legs and feet.

probably not too many crabs in the Ohio River and it's tributaries, but Crawfish/Crawdads/Crayfish certainly seem likely.

if you have not seen one, it looks exactly like a very small lobster

It'd be cool if you could use the foraging skill near the water to catch crabs, mussels, frogs, snakes,turtles ect. I'm honestly not sure if you would find most of those in KY so if anyone could make a list of animals or edible things you could find near the water by foraging that'd be great.

i doubt mussels and crabs but the rest most likely. the snakes may need to be killed or hunted though but great idea.

i doubt mussels and crabs but the rest most likely. the snakes may need to be killed or hunted though but great idea.

try Google next time http://www.ohioriverfdn.org/about_the_river/ecology/mussel_table.html

i count 44 types of mussels not listed as presumably extinct, federally endangered, or extirpated from the Ohio River

whoops. although i did say i doubt. never said there wasn't. but glad that's cleared up.

What about foraging on land for water? Puddles, small streams, plants containing water?

This is not needed and I have no idea how it would work? Just an idea...

possibly but i dont see how you would find it and store it. it would have to be like the NEO scavenger style where you find water but to take it you need a container. still i like the idea. but i feel to balance it you would need to wait until right after rain.

What about foraging on land for water? Puddles, small streams, plants containing water?

The problem at the moment is water is too easy to get. Even when the water go off you can still get about 3 uses from the toilets. taps and baths. Not to mention rivers and raincatchers. I think if they make water a harder thing to find then it would be a good thing to add.

The problem at the moment is water is too easy to get. Even when the water go off you can still get about 3 uses from the toilets. taps and baths. Not to mention rivers and raincatchers. I think if they make water a harder thing to find then it would be a good thing to add.

well water isn't a hard thing to obtain. making it safe is the hard part.

well water isn't a hard thing to obtain. making it safe is the hard part.

I know but I feel like water should be a bigger thing considering it's one of the key things to staying alive and once you have a rain barrel you don't have to worry about anything but the odd zombie and farming. Also I think farming should be a bigger thing, maybe seeds can only grow in certain areas? I have no clue about farming to be honest, even in real life i'd probably die because of not having the know how to farm.

Farming could be made harder but making it too realistic might takeaway alot of fun?

Water is everywhere! It even falls out of the sky. It literally grows on trees... All you have to do is go out and get/collect it.

Back on topic rivers could be a good place for finding stones/rocks.

Also clay from rivers/streams could be useful?

Farming could be made harder but making it too realistic might takeaway alot of fun?

Water is everywhere! It even falls out of the sky. It literally grows on trees... All you have to do is go out and get/collect it.

POTTERY! i know from experience it doesn't take much to learn once you make something but firing it and stuff like that takes a lot if you work without a kiln.

There should be a proper drought so you have do go out of your way to find it.

Something like random extreme weather after a year could be cool. Endless snow, loads of storms or a long drought.

Something like random extreme weather after a year could be cool. Endless snow, loads of storms or a long drought.

well a trend seems to be hotter summers and colder winters. it may just be around my place but a yearly change from something moderate to worse would help make long term surviving harder.

That defo should be a sandbox only feature for the nutjobs who keep finding this game too easy.

That defo should be a sandbox only feature for the nutjobs who keep finding this game too easy.

sandbox is the answer to everything it seems. still i would like to see this feature.

Questions:

• Would you catch hypothermia when you forage in the water in winter?
  • Will it cool you down in summer?
  • Would you get infections (like leptospirosis or something) when you have an open wound and are foraging in the water?
  • ... Do you wade in the shallows to forage or can you swim/dive? O__O
  • Would you have a (very) small chance to "forage/catch" a fish from foraging if you have a high enough fishing skill? (just a suggestion)

I'm curious O__O

sandbox is the answer to everything it seems. still i would like to see this feature.

I think the reason why is because the hardcore veterans of this game are becoming more and more distant from the average gamer. Its easy to forget that a lot of us have months to years of experience of this game. Also it's a feature that doesn't make a lot of sense to add to default game. Why would the zed invasion cause extreme weather or is it just a horrible coincidence?

Honestly once you have played the game a few times and have decent knowledge of where to find stuff the game isn't even hard. It confuses me how some people have such a hard time with this game, once you get down the basics it's simple and I'm not even what you would consider a good gamer either.

Extreme weather happens all the time in real life and this game prides itself on the "realism" it has. Maybe not endless snow but sometimes snow can last very long and droughts can get really hard sometimes. If the game is just going to be predictable every time then it's only going to get easier and easier. I know sometimes you just have to accept that not everything is possible in a game but this is something that is (IMO) needed to make sure the game isn't so easy once you have a rain barrel and a trowel.

Questions:

• Would you get infections (like leptospirosis or something) when you have an open wound and are foraging in the water?
  • Would you have a (very) small chance to "forage/catch" a fish from foraging if you have a high enough fishing skill? (just a suggestion)

I'm curious O__O

All good ideas, I like the thought of there being risks with things, so you actually have to think about what you're doing instead of just jumping into something without having the know how. You could wear Wellies to stop yourself from getting foot infections maybe?

Questions:

I'm curious O__O

All good ideas, I like the thought of there being risks with things, so you actually have to think about what you're doing instead of just jumping into something without having the know how. You could wear Wellies to stop yourself from getting foot infections maybe?

wet suits to stop the freezing right away but drag it out in the case you need to forage. Diving/swimming, possibly not because i think they said before that they wanted the river to be a barrier i think. still would like to see that. possibly currents as well that may sweep you away.

Questions:

I'm curious O__O

wet suits to stop the freezing right away but drag it out in the case you need to forage. Diving/swimming, possibly not because i think they said before that they wanted the river to be a barrier i think. still would like to see that. possibly currents as well that may sweep you away.

Maybe you could walk in the shallow end or even swim in the deep end but you would drown before getting to the other side, so it could still be a barrier.