Zombies speed/distribution need to be completely revamped.

Kingxex

Yes you can get huge hordes, and yes you can try to control them with shotguns and other loud noises, but the thing you're NOT mentioning is that if I had so much as been TOUCHED by one of those zombies due to things like, running out of stamina, getting hungry or thirsty causing encumbrance, or get a little too cocky; I would've been dead in seconds [...] The Romero style lore leads into human fallacy and complacency. When you are constantly on vigil you can out-think and out-distance the zombies, yes. However as soon as you feel you are safe and take little to no precaution you find yourself ripped to shreds, or just scratched / bitten, and then dead shortly thereafter.

Relatively new player to PZ here, but I am with Sir Twiggy here (Wait a second, you killed Dogmeat ? You monster !). Be it in Romero / Brooks / Kirkman lore, zombies are a manageable threat and presented as such. You can easily outsmart them, outdistance them and even fight them effectively using old style formation tactics. The ultimate demise of survivors in most of their work are: panic, denial, other humans, lack of resource or false sense of security.

which is quite unrealistic if you were to try it in a real zombie apocalypse!

Well, a zombie apocalypse isn't exactly realistic in the first place: there's no such thing as a realistic zombie behaviour because they're a purely fictional creation. We can discuss preferences, not realism. And distracting zombies to another location while other survivors get away or using their lack of intelligence to keep them in safe spots is actually done in quite a number of  movies/comics/books.

I see your point though, it doesn't stop luring them away entirely. But it's an effort to make the process more time-consuming and risky. Faster zombies in a pack means more chances to get grabbed.

If the the zombies are able to follow you faster to the forest or building you want to use to break line of sight, wouldn't the whole kiting process be faster ? You'd simply have to change your kiting behavior: take your first shot from a little more distance, run away, shoot again not necessarily aiming at the zombies so that you don't have to walk backward.

It seems even worse if you give them a longer memory: shoot once, run until you can "disappear" from their sight and watch them as they wander miles away from the location you wanted them to be away from. Kiting "short term memory" Zs actually keeps you close to them, which is more accident prone in my opinion.

I don't think that hordes should be harder. If you think that hordes are easy then i think you never get bitten when fighting a horde (safehouse defence or fun or stupid or decision). To be honest hordes are the most easy way to get killed. 1 zombie? No problem! 2? No problem! 20? Run or fight with a fire axe and optionally die.

I think that single zombies should be harder than now, not the hordes in general (for example you can't attack 3 zombies with a hammer).