Molotov OP

PintLasher

I threw a molotov at a group of zombies 6 in game days ago... That fire has been burning in this one spot for 6 days. I completely forgot about this and was shooting zeds from the apartments above Enigma Books. The noise drew a horde like none I've ever seen before, a horde of pure fire. Thousands and thousands of flaming zombies... Downtown WP no longer exists lol but I learned a valuable lesson... When your place catches fire just throw all of the containers contents on the ground and the fire won't harm them. I mean, I learned this lesson a little late and all I have left is already read skillbooks and knives and forks but still, this is good to know.

Are molotov fires meant to burn for days and days? It's still going.

Here is where I threw that molotov! Maybe this is repeatable

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.6637302866125703,0.1616170693315016,498.666666666667

3 Images here, one showing my safehouse, one showing WP, and one showing that crazy fire

http://imgur.com/wxzGGU5,V1EEy42,PpzOqkr

Its far from OP. burning time take ages, you will burn every house around and loose loot before first zeds die. from my experiance with molotov and flame trapse they couse more truble than help.

They probably could use some balance yeah. I've always thought there should be a difference inbetween a fire provoked by a molotov and a fire provoked by kitchen/campfire, they're not fueled by the same combustibles and they burn very differently, and it would make sense gameplay wise.

An unwanted fire spread (kitchen/campfire) would do very low damage to zombies, letting them burn for days and ruining your surroundings.
A molotov (or any other fire weapon) would do high damage to zombies as they burn at higher degrees, and they wouldn't spread. Only the original zombies and props which got hit by the molotov/gas/alcohol would burn.

They probably could use some balance yeah. I've always thought there should be a difference inbetween a fire provoked by a molotov and a fire provoked by kitchen/campfire, they're not fueled by the same combustibles and they burn very differently, and it would make sense gameplay wise.

An unwanted fire spread (kitchen/campfire) would do very low damage to zombies, letting them burn for days and ruining your surroundings.

A molotov (or any other fire weapon) would do high damage to zombies as they burn at higher degrees, and they wouldn't spread. Only the original zombies and props which got hit by the molotov/gas/alcohol would burn.

Some initial explosion dmg could work well. So that dmg + normal burning dmg would make molotov useful.

at the moment i also don't like the molotov since i'm getting more trouble than help from it.

in the alpha-32-build there was no XP for killing a zombie with fire. did it change yet?

No, you still don't get XP for killing with fire in build 32, neither does it count in kills counter.

Gonna make a new game and launch a molotov at that same spot later just so I can see whether or not this is normal. Out of all the molotov fires I started this is the only one that just won't die. There has to be something going on. Most of these fires last at most 2 days but this one has been burning for 10 days now.

It won't die if the fire is unloaded. Your proximity to the fire matters, in other words. If it's a screen or two away, the fire will be saved to the harddrive and cease being updated.

Don't mean to say this doesn't need to change, of course. It's just the explanation for why the fire continues to exist. :-P

In fairness to the devs - and all considerations of whether the fire is loaded due to player proximity aside - fire in the apocalypse would be a major threat, more to players and structures than to zombies.  This would be particularly true in a 'downtown' area like West Point (with multiple connected buildings), in a forest, or (in the future when city maps appear) in high rise structures.  Rain might mitigate that somewhat - particularly for forests or lone structures - but I'd imagine that would be impacted by the loaded/not loaded issue as well :)

I lured a huge horde of zombies to the large warehouse in Northern Muldraugh and threw one molotov cocktail at them. About a month later, the zombies are still burning after the fires have killed thousands of zombies, wrecked half of the "commercial" district of Muldraugh by the main road, and burnt down a couple of patches of forest.

http://imgur.com/a/LsSSt <- a couple of screenshots of the burning horde. Also, the dude died before I could properly document the destruction, so there's another character on a couple screenshots.

Yeah, molotov cocktails are kind of fun.

Archived