Variations in Ambient Light

CaptKaspar

I suggest a greater variation in ambient light outdoors to give a more immersive feel.

The brightness of day and night varies everyday due to weather in the real world.

Some days are fully sun, partly cloudy, high thin overcast, low thick overcast, etc. These all effect how bright it is outside. We have all experienced this. Why not put a random 'weather' generator in game that effects this?

We could have darker days and nights randomly based on the 'weather'. Naturally, rainy days would be darker than cloudless days, but we can still have darker days without rain. We have all experienced this in real life and I don't think it would be that difficult to add to the game.

A dark dreary day with no rain could indicate that it likely might rain soon as well.

"Should we go on that loot run to the warehouse today?" "Naw, it looks pretty dark out, I think its going to rain soon. Its a long run, maybe we should wait and see what the weather is like tomorrow."

or

"Ugh, I really need to go lug some water back from the river to water the crops." " Don't worry about it, the sky is pretty dark, it looks like its going to rain today. That will water the crops and fill our rain barrels!"

If we really wanted to get crazy about it, we could add in an additional variable at night that accounts for the lunar cycle. Full moon nights are a lot brighter than a new moon.

Shadows depending on the time of day would be super cool too! At sunrise or sunset you might see a zombie shadow extending past you as the zombie sneaks up behind you without you noticing!

This TOTALLY nerd to be done,for a better graphics,better animation,better immersione,better gameplay

i don't mean to be rude but the graphics could use what ever help they can get but i would rather have a better game mechanic than better shading. still just my opinion.

I think this could be an easy to add game mechanic that would add variety to the gameplay and help with the immersion. I would also think this would be a relatively simple thing to add and not take much time away from other development.

Is it vital? nope. Would it be cool? sure!