Balanced sheet rope nerf?

J0hnm13

I agree 100%, there needs to be a chance of the sheet breaking if a character is carrying a heavy load.

Like if i am carrying 2 logs, there should be a higher chance of the rope just breaking and me falling down, also it should get you a bit tired climbing the rope.

I mean, when the ropes were introduced, i was thinking of more of a last resort escape plan than removing the stairs to make an impenetrable fortress.

They really REALLY need to be nerfed, hope the devs notice this.

since they put the sheet rope in game the floating fortress was born, you don´t need to leave it at all from a certain point.

Set it up somewhere, get dirt up there and when you are high enough with carpentry you barly need to leave it to get new campfire mats.

If i get bored i build one of these^^ 2nd floor somewhere mostly near a forest, bul a huge platform, cut trees like a mad man and cut them to planks, get the planks "upstairs" then you only need to get down to get some stuff you need and after a few rainbarrels and about 20 fields there is not much to do. maybe get down to check traps and get wood or fish, but that´s not needed

I fully agree I also I kinda wish the devs made some sneaky update that causes floating fortresses to collapse, those things are by far the biggest exploit in PZ, if there is no proper support structure (wall, pillar) on level 1 tiles on level 2 should start taking damage if something walks on them and just break eventually and if there is absolutely nothing supportive anywhere near them below then they should all break instantly...

Floating fortresses do look rather silly. (I've never made one because they look and feel wrong)

But if you find a sledgehammer you can just turn a house into an impenetrable fortress by taking out the stairs. This is very quick and easy to do.

There is an odd balance issue where stairs (and the lack of) and sheet rope make life a bit too safe.

Even if sheet rope is changed then surely ladders will be added (by devs or mods) ladders would make life much easier!

I guess there needs to be more reasons to leave your safe house?

Not sure what these could be?

As much as I love the brainstorming, I do think that the addition of moodle based climbing alone would do the trick. Adding zombies destroying the rope would only overcomplicate things, though I do agree you should be able to use a regular rope for a more sturdy long term climbing.

And... 

What could also work pretty well is to give each rope a Condition stat, like the weapons, and each climb has a chance to degrade the quality until it breaks. Regular ropes would be much more robust and ladders would be permanent until destroyed manually.

I don't like the thought of zombies ripping the rope, I think simply adding more tedium to it would be enough incentive to use the more dangerous but long term alternative, at least until higher levels of carpentry to make ladders.

This way the sheet ropes are still last resorts, if you're exhausted you can still climb down, but for a permanent fixture you need to add more commitment to it.

To add to the confusion, if you FOUND a ladder and laid it against the wall to climb, zombies could always knock it over, meaning you'd be stranded up top. Just brainstorming ideas.

Real world application though there's NO reason you couldn't knock out the stairs and live on the 2nd floor of a building other than the potential for injury preventing you from climbing.

Find it funny that you want to nerf sheet ropes on your flying fortress...

Dont think we are going to get any structural support for buildings caving in, i think is easier to have a chance of fucking up while climbing the rope and breaking your legs while not begin able to return to your flying fortress than adding houses collapsing.

With all that they are adding I hope they'd get to some sort of structural support. Nothing lamer than all the floating forts and walkways in multiplayer.

I meant by my comment that if you want something added to make it more realistic don't build a floating fort in the first place. I have nothing against the mechanics he was talking about adding, but not for the purpose of balancing floating buildings.

Nothing lamer than all the floating forts and walkways in multiplayer.

No truer words have ever been spoken.

And in the original subject, sheet ropes should have a chance to break (Sort of like durability) if used a lot, rope item could be used instead with greater durability.

I say that the degradation should be tied with the weight the character is carrying too, so loot runs shouldnt be that easy.

I fully agree I also I kinda wish the devs made some sneaky update that causes floating fortresses to collapse, those things are by far the biggest exploit in PZ, if there is no proper support structure (wall, pillar) on level 1 tiles on level 2 should start taking damage if something walks on them and just break eventually and if there is absolutely nothing supportive anywhere near them below then they should all break instantly...

I agree! Physics needs to be implemented here!

RVPatrick.

• 2 weeks later...

Give sheet ropes a durability, reduce by use as defined by ["per height climbed" (both up, -and- down.)] X [Weight/10] (Thus 3 height at 40 weight = 12 durability per climb.) and if it reaches zero at any point during your climb, your fall is calculated from that height. [Edit: It occurs to me that we could use this to trap our bases by intentionally posting worn rope... This could be -delightful-.]

Give players a strength/stamina related fall chance. Anything above "moderate" weight or exertion and we run a risk. The closer we are to max exertion the greater the risk we take, but always allow us to roll the dice on that, and allow that to be meaningful. Odds worse than 5% success would remove a lot of the fun in risk-taking, IMO. 

[ Opinion time:  I can't speak for everyone, but I don't expect a physics simulator. I believe each server admin is both capable of enforcing and responsible for enforcing their own rules regarding stair-free or "floating" structures. And I believe that players should be free to play with their toys how they want. If they're trying for a "risk free" zombie experience, and enjoying it? More power to 'em. I prefer the risk, but it doesn't hurt me that they play the way they want. I'm not saying this to defend them, I just honestly believe the dev-time would be better spent on making the game you intend to make. If fixing floating structures is a defining part of that, then by all means, go for it. But I'm not losing any sleep over it.]

• 2 weeks later...

Realistically, the only thing keeping someone from making a stairless fortress in a real life scenario is their own personal physique and getting up and down reliably. I can't see a system in which rope durability would be a good idea, unless sprite work was done to reflect the condition, though the system definitely needs work. I'm still in favor of an endurance/energy related system. 

Another possible idea is that you can't climb if your hands are full. Imagine climbing a rope with a fireaxe in your left hand, a fully loaded 28lb hiking bag on both shoulders and in your right hand. 

some briefly mentioned pretty elegant solution in previous post. You can only go down with ropes. Which means that you need stairs to go up anyway. no duraability and other overcompicated stuff

i could see the balance working but if you can go down it you most likely can go up it. still i would like to see a balance.

If sheet ropes were given a durability, it would be nice to see ladders get added and given a higher durability. In either case, it would make sense that we had to unequip anything held in our hands to climb up or down these.