Chopper nerf/options

woodydaocas

Hey guys, 

I would like to invite you to the discussion here :

http://steamcommunity.com/app/108600/discussions/0/523890681402856420/

Point is the choppers are unrealistic (the traffic is way too high, event too long and frequent) and in general, the noise is SPAWNING zeds, be it this chopper/gunshot noise, it does not matter. Which is breaking immersion, imho.

Thanks for the ideas and consideration.

TL;DR: noise spawning zeds, which it shouldn't

Agreed, in general I don't mind the meta events, because as soon as they come they tend to go. A zombie rush is usually a fairly short affair. With the exception of house alarms. The distance that this pulls zombies from is a bit much and the after effect being that all zombies are clustered up staring at one siren speaker while hundreds of meters around them not a single undead is in sight.

I don't mind the fact that they bunch up on your safe house. That's the nature of the game. But the 100s of meters circle of total tranquility always weirds me out.

As I said on reddit; It sounds like you may be experiencing a bug in which chopper sound events happen often. They're supposed to be very rare and only happen within the first few weeks of the game.

You can change how far zombies will go for meta events by changing the Follow Sound Distance variable.

Frankly, I don't think they should be neutered any further. Right now, if you make the mistake of building in a high-population area and a metaevent sounds, you'll rightly have a bad day (assuming they don't just walk right past you, as they often do).

It's not the distance they follow the sound that bothers me, it's the large empty spaces they leave...

I made the suggestion elsewhere to trigger the zombies movement by adding a time value that indicates how interested they are in following the sound. A zombie close to the sound is seeded with a higher value while someone further away gets a lower value, they might not get to the origin of the sound but they will serve to fill up the large empty zones you now get around ground zero.

Like I said, I don't mind the meta evens, they can be intimidating but that's the nature of the game. You know they can happen, and you can work around them. 

The only thing that's annoying me more than those helicopters (That, I believe, happen only on a single day in the entire game) is the fact that people "assume" that zombies are spawned out of thin air when they are actually not. 

I am half tempted to run the game in debug mode and record how the zombies ACTUALLY react to helicopters and why is your area being swarmed with zombies. Hint - it's not because they "spawn out of thin air". ;/