Water collection without carpentry

reasonpolice

what about wringing out your wet clothes into a bucket or etc?  bet you could get at least a quart of water of a soaked set of clothes.

Or how about digging a hole and line it with a tarp for water. there is already the spade in the game and the tarp.

but i agree that most containers should catch water at a much reduced rate than a proper rain collector. I could just see multiplayer now, covered with mugs and bowls. Its not that it takes too much effort to get to lvl 4 carpentry to me, its just that its a waste of a couple hundred nails and an axe to get to lvl 4. just to put a trash bag in a box.

what about the trash cans? they are practically pre made rain collectors. just line it with a fresh bag. or tarp.

some of these i think people would find a bit too easy,

I guess that's also dependent on how hard it's raining though

If it's drizzling then a single bucket won't catch much while your water collection vats will, but if it's a downpour, there'll be water basically everywhere anyways.

possibly better weather before things like this.

Yeah, though I haven't heard much in the way of suggestions for weather surprisingly

what about wringing out your wet clothes into a bucket or etc?  bet you could get at least a quart of water of a soaked set of clothes.

Or how about digging a hole and line it with a tarp for water. there is already the spade in the game and the tarp.

but i agree that most containers should catch water at a much reduced rate than a proper rain collector. I could just see multiplayer now, covered with mugs and bowls. Its not that it takes too much effort to get to lvl 4 carpentry to me, its just that its a waste of a couple hundred nails and an axe to get to lvl 4. just to put a trash bag in a box.

what about the trash cans? they are practically pre made rain collectors. just line it with a fresh bag. or tarp.

some of these i think people would find a bit too easy,

I actually made a suggestion similar to this in earlier pages of this topic about using trash bins and such and then suggested possibilities to balance things out. 

First off, you need to carry the thing with both hands to get it to your base, so you're vulnerable while traveling long stretches of distance transporting your materials.

Since the plastic is more flimsy, it won't store as much water as a properly crafted barrel would, maybe the same as a lvl 4 carpentry barrel.

Nerf how fast water is collected and how much barrels can store in general so to support yourself and a small farm on normal rain settings you'd need at least 6-10 of these barrels.

These and plenty of other things would make this suggestion completely viable I think.

The devs are working on a system to move furniture, so this could blend in seamlessly with that. Use the furniture transportation system as the system of moving the trash bins around, just right click the barrel in your inventory to craft it, and place. 

There's a lot of ways to collect water that have yet to be mentioned:

- Collect water out of trash cans. The game has them everywhere, so all that needs to be done is copy the code from the water collectors when it comes to rain and paste it into them.

- Add a plastic umbrella/parasol. All that you have to do is open it and stake it upsidedown into the ground.

pic_L_HeartBorderDome1.jpg

You could probably collect rainwater with almost anything. Heck, open your mouth in the middle of the rain, face upwards and you'll get some fresh, natural and not from a toilet water.

I'm guessing a magician blessed the clouds of the Kentucky so they become physically undrinkable if they fall on anything that isn't a garbage bag.

Seriously, the worst combination of moodles you can get is Drenched and Dying of Thirst.

You could probably collect rainwater with almost anything. Heck, open your mouth in the middle of the rain, face upwards and you'll get some fresh, natural and not from a toilet water.

I'm guessing a magician blessed the clouds of the Kentucky so they become physically undrinkable if they fall on anything that isn't a garbage bag.

Seriously, the worst combination of moodles you can get is Drenched and Dying of Thirst.

i agree very much. another bad combination is drenched and very warm (cant thing of actual name right now.)

-snip-

i agree very much. another bad combination is drenched and very warm (cant thing of actual name right now.)

I've been drenched and very warm. I was working in a barn in the middle of the summer and sweating my behind off.  :-(

I'm slightly skeptical of the idea of wringing clothes off into water containers to use as a drinkable source... While it sounds feasible, you'd have to get really, really wet for this to produce even a small amount of water, and I doubt it would be healthy to drink said water without treating it first. Blood, dirt and all sorts of substances will be in the characters clothing. If they did implement a feature like this, I'd say it would make most sense to have to purify the water first.

-snip-

I've been drenched and very warm. I was working in a barn in the middle of the summer and sweating my behind off.  :-(

I'm slightly skeptical of the idea of wringing clothes off into water containers to use as a drinkable source... While it sounds feasible, you'd have to get really, really wet for this to produce even a small amount of water, and I doubt it would be healthy to drink said water without treating it first. Blood, dirt and all sorts of substances will be in the characters clothing. If they did implement a feature like this, I'd say it would make most sense to have to purify the water first.

well its uncomfortable for the most part. Clothes stick to you and you may be cooler but sooner or later you may reek of sweat if your deodorant fails. For modern standards its not pleasant. for zombie standards its fine.

-snip-

I thought we already had to purify our water, so it makes sense to also purify this water.  Also it depends on how heavily its raining, as I've dripped quite a bit in the past and could feasibly see filling a few water bottles with my clothes.

I don't understand why everyone feels obligated to go for carpentry for a renewable source of water. Why not just settle close to a lake or the river? I like the idea of having other skills be able to make water (water filter and moisture condenser for engineers for instance) but overall, water is too easy as is.

Even in the 8 month later sandbox pre-set water is rarely an issue for me. +1 to all ideas that imply making water less plentiful o.O We could have a similar discussion about food :/ I assume NPCs will help with all that someday tho since players will no longer be the only ones looting and consuming resources.

Yeah, for me food or water isn't really a problem due to free water at every house, but this isn't really good reason to make water gathering unrealistic.

And there is almost no lakes in Muldraugh. If i remember there is only a one house in the woods with the lake and some other cabins with wells but that's all.

Yeah, for me food or water isn't really a problem due to free water at every house, but this isn't really good reason to make water gathering unrealistic.

And there is almost no lakes in Muldraugh. If i remember there is only a one house in the woods with the lake and some other cabins with wells but that's all.

very true but i feel now this debate has somehow spiraled out of control. Its just water but apparently it is very popular.

I don't understand why everyone feels obligated to go for carpentry for a renewable source of water. Why not just settle close to a lake or the river? I like the idea of having other skills be able to make water (water filter and moisture condenser for engineers for instance) but overall, water is too easy as is.

Even in the 8 month later sandbox pre-set water is rarely an issue for me. +1 to all ideas that imply making water less plentiful o.O We could have a similar discussion about food :/ I assume NPCs will help with all that someday tho since players will no longer be the only ones looting and consuming resources.

I'd say to keep water as plentiful or more as is, but make the player require using more of it.  That seems to be the best way to balance it.  Especially once we get communities of NPCs, you gotta have some way of collecting it.

Yeah, food-water system need some twiking. Like water should be used more often because characters in PZ are running almost 8 hours for day.

And one pack of chips wouldn't feed you for a day of that running etc.

But having to eat a bag of chips literally every minute consumes too many chips so you have to add more food so blah blah blah

This is the huge cycle that the devs are trying their hardest to balance.

If you affect one side, it has to change the other too or the gameplay is thrown off.

For example:

Adding more ways to collect water means you should need to collect more to survive

If loot is more common it shouldn't last as long to counterbalance

Etc. Etc.