Water collection without carpentry

reasonpolice

Or, with a shovel/spade, you can dig a hole, place a tarp over it, and wait for it to rain.  That would be a very simple rain collector.  I would even be okay with that not being "common knowledge", and require reading a "Boy Scouts handbook" or some kind of recipe book for that.

and later this could attract animals and cause things like bugs and pests to move closer.

The average rainfall in Louisville is about 10cm per day which in a square meter sized barrel would amount to just 1 liter. That's not even enough for a pot of water. Now admittedly I haven't used the rainbarrels in a while, but I remember them collecting a lot more than that...

But if we're thinking that we use the water coming down roof tops into those shute thingys, that's a whole different matter. But I think even that should be coded to only work when adjacent to buildings...

I don't know if you meant 10cm or 10mm, and I assume you meant per square meter. In both cases that'd be a pretty reliable amount of water in order to survive, knowing that 1mm of water/m² is equal to 1 liter of water (yup, if my assumptions are right, you messed up your calculations).

Apart from collecting the rainwater directly from the sky, I'd be quite pleased with the gutter-recuperation system. Way more efficient than a single barrel in the middle of your lawn. As EnigmaGrey suggested, that would mean having a better efficiency for barrels next to the walls, or at least one of them. I don't know if implementing a "gutter system" on a few houses here and there would be possible, or if it's not required because your average KY house always has it. I'm no U.S. local :P

I don't know if you meant 10cm or 10mm, and I assume you meant per square meter. In both cases that'd be a pretty reliable amount of water in order to survive, knowing that 1mm of water/m² is equal to 1 liter of water (yup, if my assumptions are right, you messed up your calculations).

Apart from collecting the rainwater directly from the sky, I'd be quite pleased with the gutter-recuperation system. Way more efficient than a single barrel in the middle of your lawn. As EnigmaGrey suggested, that would mean having a better efficiency for barrels next to the walls, or at least one of them. I don't know if implementing a "gutter system" on a few houses here and there would be possible, or if it's not required because your average KY house always has it. I'm no U.S. local :P

OK I totally f*ckd that calculation. :D Goes to show that math isn't something you should do after 3 hours of sleep. :P

I like the idea, also XD at the basket sitting out there collect water in the picture. I do not think that will hold water very well. :D

you ad a bag and Bam. grade A water collector.

Yeah, but the one in the picture was just an empty basket. :D Like that internet meme I can not remember how it goes. "I will do X when this is full of water"

well lets see. its water so i will most likely do one of 3 things. Drink it, store it, or clean it. 

I like the idea, also XD at the basket sitting out there collect water in the picture. I do not think that will hold water very well. :D

Yeah, but the one in the picture was just an empty basket. :D Like that internet meme I can not remember how it goes. "I will do X when this is full of water"

well lets see. its water so i will most likely do one of 3 things. Drink it, store it, or clean it. 

You miss the joke, it is a basket full of holes, it will never be full of water, meaning they will never do it.

thats why you add a bag. fixes it all. plus there are not holes at the very bottom so it will hold some water.

You miss the joke, it is a basket full of holes, it will never be full of water, meaning they will never do it.

thats why you add a bag. fixes it all. plus there are not holes at the very bottom so it will hold some water.

You miss the point. I thought it was funny because they just had a random basket sitting out there in all their water collecting containers. It might collect the equivalent of putting a plate out there and that is assuming it has no holes in the bottom.

i understand. just the bag. it can work. major flaw in your joke. 

I got an 8 foot inflatable pool for the kids the other day. That thing would be great in the apocalypse for collecting or storing water. It also packs up really small. Although you would need a pump.

Or take a bath outside.

Or put a fridge in its back with the door open. There are soo many different ways to get or collect water.

Getting water should not be a skilled job. It should just be a job. If you get lazy then you might get in trouble but otherwise it shouldn't be a problem. (until zombies spoil your day)

I like where all this discussion is going! There are some cool ideas in here. 

Also, as king jjwpenguin said, the bottom 2 cm or so of the laundry basket would fill with water. I figure it's there in that scene to show that the father and daughter were getting very desperate and were trying to use anything and everything they could find. It does look funny though :P

I like where all this discussion is going! There are some cool ideas in here. 

Also, as king jjwpenguin said, the bottom 2 cm or so of the laundry basket would fill with water. I figure it's there in that scene to show that the father and daughter were getting very desperate and were trying to use anything and everything they could find. It does look funny though :P

exactly. water can be collected but not in good quantities using things like that. still even if other things have there flaws, we need a way to get it without skill. 

Wringing out cloth would be a cool way to get a measly bit of water, or perhaps tapping it out of a tree.  Do note though that most trees wouldn't provide much/wouldn't provide quickly.

I'd also like to see puddles if it rains long enough, and collecting dew is another thing to keep in mind.

Water is everywhere, you just have to know how to find it  :)

Wringing out cloth would be a cool way to get a measly bit of water, or perhaps tapping it out of a tree.  Do note though that most trees wouldn't provide much/wouldn't provide quickly.

I'd also like to see puddles if it rains long enough, and collecting dew is another thing to keep in mind.

Water is everywhere, you just have to know how to find it  :)

i agree. and btw great video.

• 2 weeks later...

T28DAYS_LATER169-7.jpg

Off subject, but I just noticed that he has a laundry basket out there to collect water.  That won't do anything, not with all those holes.  (It's bright green, just above the foremost red bucket.  Bottom-left.)

does no one ever read the entire posts by people. we talked about this on page 2 of this discussion. i even said that 1 comment above yours...

T28DAYS_LATER169-7.jpg

Off subject, but I just noticed that he has a laundry basket out there to collect water.  That won't do anything, not with all those holes.  (It's bright green, just above the foremost red bucket.  Bottom-left.)

does no one ever read the entire posts by people. we talked about this on page 2 of this discussion. i even said that 1 comment above yours...

My bad.

T28DAYS_LATER169-7.jpg

My bad.

no problem. not trying to make you feel bad but just a little annoyed how i read an entire post before doing anything and then some skip over and say the exact things people said without bothering to look. still just try to read the forums next time. 

T28DAYS_LATER169-7.jpg

My bad.

no problem. not trying to make you feel bad but just a little annoyed how i read an entire post before doing anything and then some skip over and say the exact things people said without bothering to look. still just try to read the forums next time. 

Happens every day. Best get used to it.

T28DAYS_LATER169-7.jpg

My bad.

Happens every day. Best get used to it.

i have noticed. still wish people had a bit more common sense. i mean i still dont know everything about the forums and make mistakes so im not saying its inexcusable or unbearable. still would be better if people red the commonly suggested, confirmed and denied, and so forth.