The Fisherman and the house at the lake.

XxZeraphinexX

I got a little bored and hope it´s not to bad written :)

The Fisherman and the house at the lake.

A guy sitting in a chair next to his old iron cast stove. The room is lighted by a candle and rain can be heard outside.
Slowly he picks up writing in a journal in front of him on the table.

"Where to start with this strange story" he was saying to himself very quite, afraid anyone could here him in this thunderstorm.
"Guess is start where it all started...here in my cabin."

Dear Dairy....scratch that

For anyone who find this and wonder what happend here.
It all started when i took a few days off and just wanted to relax in my little cabin at lake.
I worked half a year hard in the old factory down in West Point. It wasn´t the best job for an old guy like me, but where
else i could work after my accident as a firefighter. Yeah life was good till then. I had all. Had a wife and a car, a dog and
a 2 story house. But all is gone. What my wife didn´t take i loost in a fire. So all i have left is my new job as the maintance guy
in the factory and my old wooden cabin at the lake. I was planing my week off for a long time and was happy that finally i could make it.
Got a new fishing rod and baits, packed some booze and canned food and went to my little heaven on earth plcae out here.
Had a good time, got some fish and enjoyed my eve´s at a campfire at the lake. All was good, but soon was time to get back to work.
That´s when all started to get out of hand. Nothing prepared me for what was waiting back in town.
I was walking on the riverside back to my rented room in the Motel. Never was worried something would have changed. But by the time i saw the
Bar north of the Giga Mart everything changed. First i thought some guys had one too much and where just being stupid,
banging their head´s against the windows, but soon i saw that this was more then what i thought.
As i got closer they noticed me and stoped their banging. Instead they started moaning and slowly walking to me.
Didn´t know what to do, was never someone how got in a fight, so i started talking to them. "I just wanna get back to work,
please leave me alone" as if anyone would ever really do that.
But they seem to ignore what i say and still, slowly coming to me. I looked around for something to defend me,
but only this one branch was there. Well, better then nothing. But before i could use it, some one approched them from behind and
smashed their heads with a baseballbat. I was scared and hope that this guy isn´t going for me. To my suprise, he just yelled at me.
"Get in the bar, quick." So i did what he said, still not knowing what is going on here.
As soon we got inside he locked the door and peaked trough a window. This was strange, every single window was covered with sheets
and tables pushed against them. Looks like it got fortified for some reason.
"First of all, my Name is John. I don´t wanna harm you so please drop all you have there on the table" So i did what he said to me,
what else i could do, got only this stick and wasn´t a fighter at all. After he checked me for weapons, he gave me a sign to follow him.
Up the stairs or better said trough barricads of chairs and other stuff we got to the 2nd floor, where i liked to play billard.
I was suprised that here had been more people. As he introduced them it was my turn.
"I´m Fred and i have no clue what´s going on here, neither i wanna do any harm to anyone."
This said, John grabed some glasses and a bottle of wisky and told me to sit down and have one or better two. He saw my face and
the look of wondering and disbelieve.
"Do what i say Fred and you will be thankful after i told you what i know" he said. Oh, boy. If i would have known what he is
going to tell me, i would have had half the bottle before he started.

All started about the day i went to my cabin, so 4 days ago or so. He said, that the tv went off and the radio just gave emergency messages.
Everbody should stay inside, some kind of rabbies was found in Dixie. Who the fuck cares about Dixie.
Just some trailers and and alcoholic rednecks down there. So nobody listend or cared about the news.
But the same day, the first "It" was seen slowly walking and moaning coming from the south. Yeah they call them "IT" or "Thing".
As far i get it, they are dead but not. So Undead would be the best to put it i guess, or Zombie like the kids call them.
Anyway, with this one thing all started here to hit the fan. The first people tried to help and didn´t know what will happen if they get close.
They tried to calm "IT" down, tried to talk. But nothing came as answer, only moaning and slowly moves closer.
The first guy who came close the Thing grabed and put his teeth into his neck. Nobody wasn´t ready for what came next.
First it begane to eat on this guy, but then it stoped and the guy stood up, same grey colour and moaning as the first thing.
Now this 2 are going for the living ones and soon it spread all over town. The police didn´t believed what they got called to.
And before they figured out to aim for the head, most of the cops joined the ranks of these things.
Only a few people, naturally scared by everything made it a while longer, by hiding and avoiding to leave the house.
Like John, it´s his Bar we are hiding now. He had to kill allready a bunch of them. People tried to hide in here, without telling they got bite.
Now he know´s and is checking everyone who comes in for bite marks and scratches.
The lil girl over there is Tara, just 14 years and the only survivor of her family. They got here on there roadtrip through the country, yeah and they wouldn´t go anywhere now.
Next to her is Phil, he worked in the same factory like i did. With his 30 years he is still fit and always avoided other people.
Carl and Emma in the corner are from a farm so the east. Lost everything on their way, but are still willing to find a way out here.
And then it would be me. Old and not really good to put up with this thing, but i can catch food and cook it.
As for that, i just finished the bottle of wisky in disbelieve and fall asleep.

Wow, such a hangover i hadn´t in a long time. As anybody would take it bad that i couldn´t believe what´s going on.
But John wasn´t a guy waiting out here. He wanted to do something, get better prepared.
So his plan was, now that he thought i would be a good help for him to fight them off, that we try to get some more food.
What i should do? So i explained him that i never was in a fight nore do i know to use any weapons.
But all of my beging didn´t helped. He and Carl showed me how to use efective a crowbar and bat. They told me to never use a gun,
unless it´s the last resort. After spending the morning training my swings, John told me it´s time to put my skills to test.
We went packed with empty bags, sneaking trought the trees behind the bar to the houses near by. Just as we thought we could get into the first house,
one of these things came around the corner. Since it was slow they wanted me to put it down. I must have looked like an idiot to them.
Bashing like a kid all over the body and at some point hit the head, but wasn´t effective at all. My brawl just attracted 2 more of them.
Carl and John showed me, how quick you can put them down. After that, John was prying a window open, so we could get in.
We split up to quick check the rooms and nobody and nothing is in here. So we grabed everything we thought of value.
All the food we could find, some kitchen tools, some books and a baseballbat.
I decided that it couldn´t hurt to grab this garden trowel and the seeds, so we could maybe have a little garden and grow stuff.
Also the empty journal and some pens i took for Tara. We still had time and space for more, so we checked the house next to it.
Not a single thing around, so we made a quick search in there. Some tools like hammer and nails, more food and a book about carpentry.
Not much but we had enough for today and we started to head back to the bar. But not to far we got.
Behind the fence infront of the trees a group of about 15 of them got sight on us.
Even that they are slow, but in a group of so many they are dangerous. We split up to lure them apart, but didn´t worked so well.
2 heading for me, which is at least for my skills 1 to much and the rest splited between John and Carl. I made it in someway to
kill both of them and was happy to see John got his part done without a problem. But my smile frooze as i heard Carl screaming.
They got him and ripped him apart while he was still alive. Quick John and i killed the rest, but was to late for Carl.
Before i could say a word, John smashed what was left of his head and left me in total fear of him.
We grabed the backs and got back to the bar without any happenings. Just as i was going inside, John grabbed me by my arm.
"You don´t say a word about what happend. I gonna tell them.They don´t need details, but believe me, if i wouldn´t have done this
we would see Carl again as one of them." With that he went inside and left me confused standing there.

It wasn´t a warm welcome, when they saw just two of us got back and Emma started crying. After John explained what happend, without saying a word about
what he has done to Carl. Everybody went quite. I grabbed my bag and started unpacking, not really in the mood anymore to explain about the seeds and stuff.
Nobody wnat´s to hear the dream of a garden and fruits after this story. So i sorted everything in place and gave Tara the pens and the empty journal.
She was happy, even that she was too old for scribbles, but at least she could get her mind of this whole situation for a while.
I just grabbed a bottle of booze and a book about fishing, while Emma was getting drunk downstairs with John. Phil hasn´t done much around here,
so i gave him the carpentry books to read, maybe he could get some infos out of them to help us.
The day went by very fast, since most of us fall asleep very early.

We got a scared waking party, as about 10 these things banged on the barricads. Half drunk , half sleeping John chased us up and gave us something to smack them.
As we got downstairs the first thing was getting trough a window, but was quick put down by John.
Phil hiding behind us, guess he was more scared then me, but for now we couldn´t care. So we swung the door open and kicked 2 off them down.
They had been quick send back to death as phil got out and was frozen scared of this thing right in front of him. Before we could
even get a swing on it, it was already putting his teeth in Phils arm. John made it quick and we both got the rest done.
After we finished the last off, we went in and discussed what to do next.
Staying here wasn´t an option, but where to go? Tara hasn´t a clue, since she isn´t from here. Emma is kind of gone, since here hubby died.
So it was up to me and John to figure something out. I said we should get out of town and away from these thing, while John dais we should get into the center
and work something out there, since he thougth all the supplies there will be better for us.
But before we could get something worked out, a helicopter was flying over and as his noise got less, the moaning from the bridge got louder and louder.
I couldn´t believe what i saw, there must have been 100 or 1000 of them slowly coming closer.
We grab what we could and left here asap. No plan in hands just running away. Emma was tired of that and didn´t wanted to life anymore.
She draw a gun and killed herself. To bad she didn´t shot her head. Tara thought she might do us a favour by running back and getting the gun,
but it was to late for us to do something about it. As soon she turned her back to what was Emma, it crawled up to Tara and took a bit out of her Leg.
Tara did what she could and killed the thing with a headshot and just as she turned around to us, John spraid her brain with a full running swing on the street.
He grabed the gun and we both run to the little workshop next to the pharmacy. Not that this would do us any good, but at least we got a break.
I told John about the little cabin i had at the lake and he was ok to get there, away from all the dead and becoming somekind of hermit.
So we gathered everything in here what we could use, hammer, saw,nails and some snacks from the vending machine.
With our stuff on the back and a bat in our hand, we took off to the river, since we hoped none off the things would get there.
All went well, till John saw the church through the trees. He wanted to get there and say a prayer before leaving town.
I did know it was a bad idea but who am i, to denie his wish. All looked quite and peaceful. Not a single move or maoning.
John was sadly smiling when he opend the door, just to see his smile turning into fear as a thing grabed him from inside. We should have checked more carefully,
but we didn´t saw this one trough the window. He was trying to keep it on distance while i could get a swing without hitting John.
My brain was going 100 mph, but couldn´t get a clue what to do. Then i saw it. The hammer from John backpack. I grabed it and put it into
the skull off the thing. Still wasn´t sure if i was quick enough, but John started to move and i helped him to get rid of the thing.
I didn´t saw the scratchs he got under all the blood and crap. So we careful check the inside of the church and as we been sure we are alone, John sat down for a prayer.
Waiting for him to finish, i walked around and saw this little shed. So i checked for any dangers lurking around, but couldn´t see anything bad. The door was looked so i tried to pry the window open
and after a few tries i got it. I quick got in and looked for anything useful to take with us. Found some matches, a ligther a book about trapping
and some nails. With that and proud of myself that i could get in here, i got back to the church. But John wasn´t there anymore.
His backpack still laying infront of the door to keep it open, but no sign of him. I slowly went inside, wispherd his name, but got no response.
As i wanted to leave, i saw the bloodtrail behind the altar. Got no good feeling about it, but wanted to besure that i don´t leave him alone.
So i got to the back door, open it by pushing the bat against it. Just as the light hit the room something fall on the floor with a loud bump.
It´s was John. He had shot himself with the gun of emma, totally packed in cloth so i couldn´t hear it, or better nothing else could hear it.
I am alone now. Lost so much in this few days. I grabed what i could, since i coulnd´t take all of the stuff John way carrying.
With that i left the church and continued my way to my cabin. Totally daydreaming i didn´t saw the thing hiding in the trees.
Something was pulling me backwards and before i realised that i wasn´t dreaming, i was on my back and something was grabing me from behind.
Luckily i had this huge backpack and was safe for now, but didn´t know what do either. I got rid of the backpack, but had nothing to defend myself.
Fully scared and death in sight i panic. Just as i thought it´s over something fall out off the backpack. The gardentrowel. not a weapon of choice,
but better then nothing. I lured the thing away a bit, grabed the trowel and in someway i pushed it into his skull and didn´t got it out again.
Now i noticed that i got scratched. Nothing big, but afterall what i saw i was more than worried.
I Took my stuff and after 5 minutes i was at my cabin, droped all, grabed a bottle of booze. Sitting outside , drinking and worrying what to do, it started raining.
First a bit, than more and more and finally a thunderstorm arrived. I´m sitting now here, with a canlde as light, writing down what happend
and hope this isn´t my last day on earth.

Archived