Too Many Plastic Bags?

TypoDemon

Everyone say thank you to Dudeman325.

First mod of lame-o-ness or not, I've finally done it thanks to the help I got that made it so elementary even an idiot like me could do it!

Plastic Bag Mountain: Current Version 1.0

What does it do?
Plastic Bag Mountain allows you to use "Plastic Bags" - the useless bag we have that we carry around and sometimes find 80+ of if we're (un)lucky and then turn those in to garbage bags (or liners in the future) for use in collecting water and using in recipes. In the future it will also add other liners and possible other uses for bags.

Boring Preface
First mod of lame-o-ness or not, I've finally done it thanks to the help I got that made it so elementary even an idiot like me could do it! I'll be working on it to maybe give it its own sprite and also adding other things like using tarps or other sorts of bags if I can manage. I'm open to a bit of constructive criticism, suggestions and maybe a nudge in the right direction. Be gentle I'm still a tiny baby at this.
Please don't do things with my mod in packs/place it places without my permission if you'd be so kind! Linking back to the PZ-Mods website is probably the easiest way to keep it up to date, I'll be keeping my best eye I can. Thank you!

Installing Instructions (Non-Steam)
Yep! Steam is my next stop, but for this version: Just extract it to your "C:\Users\YOURNAME\Zomboid\mods" folder and you're good to go after enabling it in the mod area after your game is up.

Also Available
PZ-Mods Version
Steam Version

TO DO
Going to update these mostly on the Steam and PZ-Mods page, easier for me, sorry!! But there's a ton in planning and a ton in action up coming as soon as I can. Thanks again, Everyone!

Edited by TypoDemon

• 4 weeks later...

I'd suggest downloading a few other mods to see how they've been packaged so that this can be installed as a proper mod instead of requiring edits to base game files. I'll see if I can write something up that's a little more clear as time permits.

-- EDIT --

So here's the basics for formatting a mod properly so that it shows up in the mod menu, and doesn't directly edit base game files.

1. Open the "User\Zomboid\mods" folder. Make a new folder "Too Many Plastic Bags". Inside this folder make another folder "media" and inside that another folder "scripts".

2. Make a new "TooManyBags.txt" with contents shown below (copied from your code, but with a slightly different header)

module TooManyPlasticBags{	imports	{		Base	}/****** Recipes ******/	recipe Make Plastic Garbage Bag	{		Plasticbag=4,		Scotchtape/DuctTape=1,		Result:Garbagebag,		Time: 5.0,	}}

3. Go back to the "Too Many Plastic Bags" folder, create a new .txt file, and rename it to "mod.info" (make sure you are changing the file type when doing this). Open this file with your .txt editor of choice, with contents similar to below.

name=Too Many Plastic Bagsposter=poster.pngdescription=Too many plastic bags? Make them into garbage bags! -TypoDemonid=TooManyPlasticBags

4. Go back one folder to the "mods" folder and open the "examplemod" folder. Copy "poster.png" to your mod's folder.

OR make your own .png

5. Now you can package your mod's folder into a .rar file with winrar (or something similar) and upload it to a site like http://pz-mods.net/ with instructions to extract to the "User\Zomboid\mods" folder so that it can be downloaded and enjoyed by all!

Welcome to the world of modding!

As to the subforum, this may be better suited to the Items subforum

I'd suggest downloading a few other mods to see how they've been packaged so that this can be installed as a proper mod instead of requiring edits to base game files. I'll see if I can write something up that's a little more clear as time permits.

-- EDIT --

So here's the basics for formatting a mod properly so that it shows up in the mod menu, and doesn't directly edit base game files.

1. Open the "User\Zomboid\mods" folder. Make a new folder "Too Many Plastic Bags". Inside this folder make another folder "media" and inside that another folder "scripts".

2. Make a new "TooManyBags.txt" with contents shown below (copied from your code, but with a slightly different header)

module TooManyPlasticBags{	imports	{		Base	}/****** Recipes ******/	recipe Make Plastic Garbage Bag	{		Plasticbag=4,		Scotchtape/DuctTape=1,		Result:Garbagebag,		Time: 5.0,	}}

3. Go back to the "Too Many Plastic Bags" folder, create a new .txt file, and rename it to "mod.info" (make sure you are changing the file type when doing this). Open this file with your .txt editor of choice, with contents similar to below.

name=Too Many Plastic Bagsposter=poster.pngdescription=Too many plastic bags? Make them into garbage bags! -TypoDemonid=TooManyPlasticBags

4. Go back one folder to the "mods" folder and open the "examplemod" folder. Copy "poster.png" to your mod's folder.

OR make your own .png

5. Now you can package your mod's folder into a .rar file with winrar (or something similar) and upload it to a site like http://pz-mods.net/ with instructions to extract to the "User\Zomboid\mods" folder so that it can be downloaded and enjoyed by all!

Welcome to the world of modding!

As to the subforum, this may be better suited to the Items subforum

Hey! That's super nice of you to let me know this, thanks a lot. Like I said I'm pretty inept and kinda just c_c stick to doing something I know I can't 100% screw up. Even that doesn't always find itself fool proof lol!!!

But I will definitely give this a go! I'd really really like to give people something a little easier than where to open stuff up, that's for sure. I will try to re-do this and have it up soon as work lets up a little more! Again thank you so much Dudeman325. That's really really sweet of you! Especially making it fool proof for me xD. I need that. I'm always without confidence when it comes to trying to do things that feel "big".

Anyway I won't keep rambling I just really appreciate it -- Thank you again! Will try my best to update this in the next few days!

• 4 weeks later...

I edited the top but I'll make sure to let people know here, too, because I'm not sure which is best. Please kick me in the butt if this is not the best way.

I'll be working on this after my next project, because thankfully it looks like I'll have a small window of time and that'll mean maybe I can glance in to what happens with steam and see how to post it there too! I just don't want to mess this up, yanno? First time out and all.

Anyway, thank you very much for the likes and I will do my best!

Good luck! I haven't bothered looking into Steam integration for my mods as I personally just don't like the Workshop (a few bad experiences where it automatically updated some Skyrim mods that broke my saves...), so I can't be much help there, but it seems to be a fairly straightforward process.

• 3 weeks later...

Man it took me a while to figure out that steam one - I can only hope that it actually works (I tried it but I'm always skeptical).

Just wanted to say again thanks to Dudeman. I normally am too damn shy to do much of anything and seeing it be so elementary as to help out like this? I'd feel ashamed if I didn't after step by step instructions on how not to be a lame ass.

Anyway I took down the old one, put up new, easier ones and... I hope I did it all right lol. Any concrit please do let me know, I'll do my best to work around work and do things I'd like to with this mod. I'm open to suggestions too. Okay thank you! And again thank YOU Dudeman.