Can't catch an animal for my life

GalopaWXY

Hello !

I've gone through the wiki on Trapping in PZ and followed the instruction very carefully with my 1-point-in-trapping character. I've set up a total of five traps, a crate, two sticks, a lace and a wooden cage thingy, appart from each other by like 100 PZ meters... but until now... NOTHING.

They're in a clearing in the forest, no zombies ever sighted around during the many times I went through my traps (peaceful foraging there <3). Traps never change position or go off in any way. I add recommended baits (worms in the stick traps, proper fruits/veggies in the other ones...) but the baits disapear quite quickly and I have to add new ones... but no animals caught in there ever. I've been trying for days and days replacing baits more than twice a day and sometimes at night too.

What am I doing wrong D: do you guys manage to trap animals correctly and if so, how ? x_x

Also can you cook the catches or use them in receipes ?

Thank you for reading !!

Traps\Baits Lists Required for each animal. Baits and traps in italic are most effective.

Rabbits:

Required Traps: Snare Trap, Trap Cage, Trap Box, Trap Crate

Required Bait: Carrots, Apple, Lettuce, Bell Pepper, Cabbage, Corn, Banana, Potatoes, Tomatoes, Peaches

Time to Catch: Between 5AM-7PM - Will Start Breaking Free after 24 hours

Where: Forest, Deep Forest, Vegitation (Fields, prob.) Very low chance in Urban Areas

Squirrel:

Required Traps: Trap Box, Trap Cage, Trap Crate, Snare Trap

Required Bait: Peanut Butter, Cereal, Orange, Peanuts, Apple, Corn, Popcorn, Lettuce, Bell Pepper, Peach

Time to catch: Same as rabbit, escapes after 19 hours.

Where: Same as rabbit.

Bird:

Required Trap: Stick Trap

Required Bait: Bread, Bread Slices, Worm, Corn, Cereal

Time to Catch: Can be caught at any time of the day.

Where: Anywhere

Mouse:

Required Trap: Mouse Trap

Required Bait: Cheese, Processed Cheese, Peanut Butter, Bacon Bits, Chocolate, Orange, Apple, Tomato

Time to catch: Can be caught at any time of the day.

Where: Urban Areas

Rat:

Everything same as mouse.

Traps\Baits Lists Required for each animal. Baits and traps in italic are most effective.

Rabbits:

Required Traps: Snare Trap, Trap Cage, Trap Box, Trap Crate

Required Bait: Carrots, Apple, Lettuce, Bell Pepper, Cabbage, Corn, Banana, Potatoes, Tomatoes, Peaches

Time to Catch: 5-19 Hours - Will Start Breaking Free after 24 hours

Where: Forest, Deep Forest, Vegitation (Fields, prob.) Very low chance in Urban Areas

Squirrel:

Required Traps: Trap Box, Trap Cage, Trap Crate, Snare Trap

Required Bait: Peanut Butter, Cereal, Orange, Peanuts, Apple, Corn, Popcorn, Lettuce, Bell Pepper, Peach

Time to catch: Same as rabbit, escapes after 19 hours.

Where: Same as rabbit.

Bird:

Required Trap: Stick Trap

Required Bait: Bread, Bread Slices, Worm, Corn, Cereal

Time to Catch: Unknown

Where: Anywhere

Mouse:

Required Trap: Mouse Trap

Required Bait: Cheese, Processed Cheese, Peanut Butter, Bacon Bits, Chocolate, Orange, Apple, Tomato

Time to catch: Unknown

Where: Urban Areas

Rat:

Everything same as mouse.

I just saved this, thank you so much.

Ive caught rabbits and birds with trapping.

My exp is that you have to be a certain distance away from a player build structure.I made a line of 5 stick traps for birds,using worms,and started them out inside my player built structure,and spaced out slowly moving away from said structure.The ones in and close to never caught a single bird.The ones far enough away,caught about 6 each in the time of testing.Was able to catch birds in as little as 8 hours.I used 4 and 8 hour check times.

The testing i did for rabbits and snare trap,only ever caught rabbits when surrounded by trees.The area i used was far away from my structures,as there wasnt anyplace easy to get to that still had heavy trees close to my structure.Capture time varied from about 8hours,to about 2 days.

Rabbits basically get skinned,didnt see a way to divide them up with the knife

You have to put the trap far enough away from your daily activities. If you right click on a crop on your farm and then walk away the info screen disappears. This distance is far enough away from your safe house for traps. Use mouse traps in urban regions (grass next to street, between houses), the others work better in areas where you can forage.

Thank you so much for all of your answers !! Right now with the update to build 32 numerous zombies popped everywhere including in the wild and... ate, I suppose ? all my traps... but I'll try again when I have a chance !