Why hasn't this been modded yet?

lifemare

I know hauling furniture around will be possible sometime in the future, but i've been looking at the code for generator interaction and it seems (to a layman) it would be pretty simple to "reverse engineer" it to work with other objects (mini-fridges please).

Am i underestimating this?

Would anyone be interested in cutting our wait short and modding this?

EDIT: Ooops, i just noticed there's several other posts requesting some form or another of getting more fridges on your base... Sorry for doubleposting! My only saving grace is, seeing that there is indeed a lot of interest in this, reiterating the request is not entirely without merit (though a tad spammy). Rephrased the title of this post to reflect that. I'm very curious to know why such a popular feature has yet to convince any modders to roll up their sleeves...

Well, in response to your rephrased title, in my opinion, the current modders are still playing it safe.

You'll notice many of the mods do little more than add countless additional items and recipes in efforts to either enhance the depth and realism of the game, or to give players unbounded amounts of variants to slay the zombie hordes with.

It is still not worth the time and effort to develop complex mods, with the knowledge that they may become irreparably broken or require just as much time again to get them working with each new build.

I know for certain at least 3 other formally trained programmers that were once itching to get into developing some PZ mods, when the game became more stable, but because features and functionality are still being added and tweaked in the core engine (some two years later), most of them have moved on to other games/projects/tasks.

It's not a bad thing, really though, because the likes of EasyP and turbotutone have proven that if you are doing more than just adding additional items and recipes, and you've got the time and intellect, you're likely to be recognised and rewarded for that ability.

So, I think the reason few people have attempted to mod in mini-fridges and such is because it involves changing (or copy/pasting) more than just a few lines of code, and there's no guarantee it will still work in the next build, or the one after that, or once furniture becomes movable, or after the next UI overhaul, or...

Well, in response to your rephrased title, in my opinion, the current modders are still playing it safe.

You'll notice many of the mods do little more than add countless additional items and recipes in efforts to either enhance the depth and realism of the game, or to give players unbounded amounts of variants to slay the zombie hordes with.

It is still not worth the time and effort to develop complex mods, with the knowledge that they may become irreparably broken or require just as much time again to get them working with each new build.

I know for certain at least 3 other formally trained programmers that were once itching to get into developing some PZ mods, when the game became more stable, but because features and functionality are still being added and tweaked in the core engine (some two years later), most of them have moved on to other games/projects/tasks.

It's not a bad thing, really though, because the likes of EasyP and turbotutone have proven that if you are doing more than just adding additional items and recipes, and you've got the time and intellect, you're likely to be recognised and rewarded for that ability.

So, I think the reason few people have attempted to mod in mini-fridges and such is because it involves changing (or copy/pasting) more than just a few lines of code, and there's no guarantee it will still work in the next build, or the one after that, or once furniture becomes movable, or after the next UI overhaul, or...

When something is overhauled in an update, you just need to figure out what changed and what you can change to make it work again. I'd see if something wildly specific, like "Complete Zombie Overhaul" that turns all zombies into flying rabbits or something, would be irreparably broken.

Anyways, to answer OP's question, I guess this would be possible. Furniture are basically glorified sprites, you could iterate over the clicked square and save the object type in a variable. If your strength is above a determined amount and it's a specific type of item (like a chair), you could remove it from the square and store it in your inventory, giving an illusion of moving furniture.

Or, you could click once, iterate and save it into a variable, and it would be moved to the second square. Would be unrealistic, but whatever.

For the first idea, that'd require making inventory items for every single type of furniture, so that'd be a pain in the ass.

The second idea would work a lot better, and from my experience with my other mods I could probably make it a thing.

I'll make sure to have my next modding project to revolve around the idea of moving furniture. Seeing as Let Me Speak is basically finished (I just need to add a few more conditions and comment the code), it probably shouldn't be too long :P

Sorry it took me so long to reply (pc problems).

@RealmKeeper: Thank you for your very thoughtful reply! I understand modding can be a thankless and frustrating job. Specially in a game that is still in development. And modding something that is already planned to be developed when there's plenty of other decent easier ideas floating around really robs momentum from stuff like this (despite it being eventually more necessary or in demand than others). Your comment is really pertinent. Consider my question answered.

@TheGentleman: I had seen one of those TurboTuTone vídeos. In fact that's one of the reasons i'm so anxious for this feature, seeing build after build come out without this being implemented... Thanks for posting them though, didn't mind watching them a second time - so freaking cool, can't wait to see this in-game! Welcome to the forums!!!

@ethanwdp: Very very happy to hear you're interested in taking up such a project ethan! That's amazing news! My hopes were already low and after reading RealmKeeper i was ready to give up on ever seeing this get picked up! This thread reads like a Hollywood movie: begins with seemingly impossible odds, followed by a distant promise of success, and suddenly a hero shows up to save the day. Ends on a cliffhanger, but damn that was good popcorn!

I had already been snooping around the Let Me Speak topic. It's a great idea! Even more good news, finding out it's nearing completion. If i can offer my assistance, i'd love to do PT localization for you (in case you need translations).

[...]

I'll make sure to have my next modding project to revolve around the idea of moving furniture. Seeing as Let Me Speak is basically finished (I just need to add a few more conditions and comment the code), it probably shouldn't be too long :P

[...]

@ethanwdp: Very very happy to hear you're interested in taking up such a project ethan! That's amazing news! My hopes were already low and after reading RealmKeeper i was ready to give up on ever seeing this get picked up! This thread reads like a Hollywood movie: begins with seemingly impossible odds, followed by a distant promise of success, and suddenly a hero shows up to save the day. Ends on a cliffhanger, but damn that was good popcorn!

I had already been snooping around the Let Me Speak topic. It's a great idea! Even more good news, finding out it's nearing completion. If i can offer my assistance, i'd love to do PT localization for you (in case you need translations).

It has been mentioned 3 posts before but to clarify again:

I'm not sure you recognized the fact that "moving furniture" is a nearly done and right around the corner feature which is so to speak confirmed for build 33.

[...]

So that’s the current stuff, but what of Build 33 content? Well…

TURBO MOVES OFFICE

The delectable TurboTuTone has been working on a system that lets you put previously immobile objects (furniture, paintings, flooring tiles etc) into your inventory and carry them elsewhere.

[...]

Link

Just to save you some precious time modding stuff which is already done "vanillaside"..

[...]

@TheGentleman: I had seen one of those TurboTuTone vídeos. In fact that's one of the reasons i'm so anxious for this feature, seeing build after build come out without this being implemented... Thanks for posting them though, didn't mind watching them a second time - so freaking cool, can't wait to see this in-game! Welcome to the forums!!!

[...]

The vids are from the beginning of June, this year. Though TIS is pushing out builds quite frequently, to speak about "builds after builds" (you do not point at the bugfixing stuff in IWBUMS, do you?) after not even four weeks time is a bit exaggerating, imo.

I may sound a bit harsh (not fully intended). I just can't believe which direction this thread is taking..

PS: I'm so totally amazed by TurboTuTones base customizing stuff. Can't wait! <3

[...]

[...]

It has been mentioned 3 posts before but to clarify again:

I'm not sure you recognized the fact that "moving furniture" is a nearly done and right around the corner feature which is so to speak confirmed for build 33.

[...]

So that’s the current stuff, but what of Build 33 content? Well…

TURBO MOVES OFFICE

The delectable TurboTuTone has been working on a system that lets you put previously immobile objects (furniture, paintings, flooring tiles etc) into your inventory and carry them elsewhere.

[...]

Link

Just to save you some precious time modding stuff which is already done "vanillaside"..

[...]

[...]

The vids are from the beginning of June, this year. Though TIS is pushing out builds quite frequently, to speak about "builds after builds" (you do not point at the bugfixing stuff in IWBUMS, do you?) after not even four weeks time is a bit exaggerating, imo.

I may sound a bit harsh (not fully intended). I just can't believe which direction this thread is taking..

PS: I'm so totally amazed by TurboTuTones base customizing stuff. Can't wait! <3

Oh, it's already a thing?

Still, it'll be fun for me to work on.

Guess i need to learn to be patient. Sorry to bother.