I was reading at a thread about generators the other day and as I though as was said in the OP of that thread that generators doesn't seem to be worth the effort of using atm. I started thinking about how it would probably be in realistic zombie apocalypse for the average Joe and the reason he/she would want to get a generator working. Alright some might think of maintaining their food fresh, some of warming themselves, but for a lot of people having electricity in ones home would be just a huge moral boost, and it would probably be because of them being able to see notably better at nights and maybe even having the possibility to read. Both of those things as it stands are not a problem for the player, and I think it would be nice to have another reward for getting a generator working and maybe not that hard to implement. And so, I suggest making nights darker and  only being able to read at a determined light level.

Also, another plus of making nights darker would be that a lamp on a pillar, flashlights, candles, and other light sources would be a lot more useful, as would also be the trait TraitCatsEyes.png Cat's Eyes.

Well thats about it, I just thought I could make a thread myself as I've been reading this forum almost every day for about a year and never made one or even posted a comment.

Also, THANKS to the developers and the people helping them at this forum for the great work.

It's an incredible game the one you've got here.

I agree with that : actually, nights are really not enought dark, you can see as far at midnight than at mid-day ! And so every source of light is just worthless...

I really want to be scared by night, as i will know that i Cant see the threats in the darkness...

It will give sense for candles and lights, even more with campfires (i love their light in the middle of a forest) and generators of course, wich actually are totally worthless in my opinion.

This . . . can't be really be corrected, though and may be related to hardware that doesn't support shaders (despite them being enabled).

Add a gamma slider and people will abuse it.

There's no way to predict how bright or dark someone's monitor is.

There's no way to predict how bright or dark someone's driver settings are.

A literal black fog of war would be needed, instead of the way it's done now,, like in Don't Starve.

This . . . can't be really be corrected, though and may be related to hardware that doesn't support shaders (despite them being enabled).

A literal black fog of war would be needed, instead of the way it's done now,, like in Don't Starve.

What about reducing the players perception radius, and not allowing reading if not bright enough?

We still cannot know how bright/dark someone's monitor is, that's true.

What about a making a poll, just to see how many people consider nights too bright?

Make gamma sliders able to be disabled on servers.

stops cheating.

Then give it to us! 

I love it when it's pitch black and i can't see SHIT

It'd make lighting actually Important lol

Make gamma sliders able to be disabled on servers.

stops cheating.

Then give it to us! 

I love it when it's pitch black and i can't see SHIT

It'd make lighting actually Important lol

Stops cheating? So we add a slider that elinates a technical problem for people then just, lol, disable it in multiplayer and tell them tough luck?

No.

On Multiplayer you have the issue that characters actually stay awake through the night. I think the simplest way to simulate the limitations of nighttime is to just compress time. Night goes by, hunger/thirst/etc tickers advance the right amount but you do less stuff due to IRL time being shorter.

I think that the darkness in the game currently is good. While outside it's always light enough to see and navigate, as it would be on a moonlit night. The insides is often so dark that at night I don't dare venture inside of unknown buildings for fear of running into zombies and not being able to see them.

It'd be nice if the devs add a mooncycle like they've done with growing plants. And just adjust the light per night so that some nights will be a bit brighter than they are now. While others will truly be too dark to do anything but stay inside a locked and windowless room.

And ofcourse a lightning storm or rain at day or night should not only cause rain to fall, it should also remove the ambient light.

But it's good as it is as far as I am concerned..

One thing though, cat eye right now seems to work that it elevates the light level at certain times. So you see it getting darker as it gets night, then cat eye kicks in and it suddenly becomes brighter, which it will stay until a certain time where the effect vanishes and it suddenly gets darker, just before dawn kicks in.. It's a bit silly really.

snippity

snip

Stops cheating? So we add a slider that elinates a technical problem for people then just, lol, disable it in multiplayer and tell them tough luck?

No.

I'm no programmer but can't that gamma setting be set on server side only for multiplayer? That way everyone on server would have the same gamma value.

snippity

snip

No.

I'm no programmer but can't that gamma setting be set on server side only for multiplayer? That way everyone on server would have the same gamma value.

Gamma is affected by both your video card and your monitor. It'll vary for everyone, just as it does now.

Having the server dictate the value doesn't really fix anything.