Depression downsides

LeetgamerBoi

well i had the idea if your depressed enough you charater will try to commet suicide or do self harm as in real life but that may be taking it to far in the game

killing himself would probably just ruin the experience most of the time, like having it suiciding at weird times.

perhaps it could occur only if you're not in the middle of the action? like if you didin't fight for x time or if you didn't run x distance for x time?

also it would be cool to having it randomly cutting himself to raise happiness when serverly depressed

Something simple (mods could probably even do this) would be to make it decrease your awareness/strength/speed depending on severity.

Ideally something like the longer the character spends in a persistent depressed state (with a certain minimum threshold) then the more strength/speed/awareness are decreased.

Timed actions could take longer / there could be a timed action multiplier based on unhappiness level to represent lowered motivation to do things. Already exists.

You'd want to sleep more and sleep longer when you do sleep.

If you're really deep in depression then panic probably shouldn't happen, as you'd be so emotionally numb by that point as to not really care about all of the zombies. Though maybe with certain panic-related traits a character would still panic?

With NPCs -- any sort of social interaction would ideally take a large hit depending on the NPC's personality.

Maybe weapon durability would take a penalty? The character wouldn't maintain their gear as much so there could be a depression-based modifier on durability loss.

I think the self-harm idea is kind of bad gameplay and not even that realistic. It'd be really hard to actually represent suicidal ideation in any meaningful form and most severely depressed people don't actually try to kill themselves.

Auto-drinking alcohol isn't really representative of depression either and increased hunger/thirst is actually the opposite of what happens in most cases of depressions (though there are exceptions to that.)

Most people take less care of themselves when depressed and lose weight/don't eat enough/get dehydrated/don't drink enough water.

I mostly agree, i suggested self harm due to not liking the random suicide option.

The only small detail is that there's already a timed action modifier, i've been told lately that you take way more to move stuff when depressed, try with nails to see it at it's best

Ah, you're right. I missed that in ISBaseTimedAction.lua when I was grepping to see what effect unhappiness already has.

I suggest that your character won't do certain actions if they are. In sims if your character is messed up, they will complain and not do things you tell them to do. It might be applicable to certain actions in the game such as loading a gun, equipping weapons or crafting/carpentry.

Edit: Add reading skill books, fishing and farming to that. Maybe he's just too depressed to do them all. :P

I suggest that your character won't do certain actions if they are. In sims if your character is messed up, they will complain and not do things you tell them to do. It might be applicable to certain actions in the game such as loading a gun, equipping weapons or crafting/carpentry.

well i don't see it being so drastic if you are facing a horde and you only have a gun, since you are depressed you cant use it. it seems too harsh. but the carpentry is an ok ideas and the stuff like that. Just my 2 cents.

well i don't see it being so drastic if you are facing a horde and you only have a gun, since you are depressed you cant use it. it seems too harsh. but the carpentry is an ok ideas and the stuff like that. Just my 2 cents.

Makes sense. Still have to defend yourself even while depressed. Sorry bout that.

I would like to see some kind of hallucinations caused by intense stress, you see zombies that aren't really there. Move closer then poof they're gone.

Scaring yourself shitless.

seeing them is a little too much, but perhaps hearing them would be cool. tbh this isn't related at all to depression though, it would be more illness related or drugs related(in the future when they'll update them).

yep maybe the best way is having people not feeling like doing certain tasks, those that aren't life threatening like cooking, building, reading fishing and trapping foraging and repairing stuff too maybe (i guess it counts as carpentry too, fml carpentry is op, this should be working with the weapon maintenance skill instead)

Aye, hallucinations might be from chronic insomnia, or drugs, but not typically depression. Coming off an anti-depressant cold turkey *might* give you hallucinations, but the other symptoms would be apt to all but knock you out anyway.

Crying really isn't something that will happen a lot when you're depressed, typically you cry just as you're going into an episode, or recovering;

https://www.reddit.com/r/depression/comments/3ay1tx/some_days_i_just_lie_in_bed_trying_to_find_the/

Less panic would make sense, emotionally you are numbed, but also, you definitely don't take care of yourself as well, and ennui doesn't even begin to cover it. Maybe a darkening of the edges of your vision, vision changes, and lack of perception, to cover lack of attentiveness to your surroundings.

Aye, hallucinations might be from chronic insomnia, or drugs, but not typically depression. Coming off an anti-depressant cold turkey *might* give you hallucinations, but the other symptoms would be apt to all but knock you out anyway.

Crying really isn't something that will happen a lot when you're depressed, typically you cry just as you're going into an episode, or recovering;

https://www.reddit.com/r/depression/comments/3ay1tx/some_days_i_just_lie_in_bed_trying_to_find_the/

Less panic would make sense, emotionally you are numbed, but also, you definitely don't take care of yourself as well, and ennui doesn't even begin to cover it. Maybe a darkening of the edges of your vision, vision changes, and lack of perception, to cover lack of attentiveness to your surroundings.

i like this, perhaps a temporary penality on skills like blunt gun and blade guard, nimble, lightfoot and sneaking, or a reduction in the strenght due to not being motivated

I was just talkin bout the nervous breakdown caused by intense stress, not depression. Also, some people get PTSD after going thru traumatic events [e.g. combat, accident, natural disaster], causing hypervigilance and even sleep disorder.

But yea, Livio's right. Seeing sh*t would be too crazy, auditory hallucinations should be realistic enough.

Depression only messes with the sleep habits, motivation, concentration, fatigue and appetite.

Depression isn't generally handled like the OP states, alcohol dependency while in an emotional state is a personal thing rather than a depression thing and neither is constant crying.

If you wanted to generalize depression with 'universal' symptoms the most likely ones would be silence, lack of ability to be enthusiastic, lack of appetite, notably less social behavior and odd subjects of conversation / avoidance of subjects of conversation.

The moodle effects would matter more when NPCs come out than the current stage.

Just make actions take longer if depressed, like you are listless.  Considering that depression makes you less interested in pretty much everything, that would make sense.  It can be well balanced, is not debilitating, (in case you like role playing as a depressed person) and affects gameplay in a noticeable way.

Or perhaps slowly desaturate the games colors until everything on screen is grayscale.

Never suicide or other forced characters actions.  The player controls the character, after all, and it would remove a lot of immersion.  Also it would be really annoying.

Just make actions take longer if depressed, like you are listless.  Considering that depression makes you less interested in pretty much everything, that would make sense.  It can be well balanced, is not debilitating, (in case you like role playing as a depressed person) and affects gameplay in a noticeable way.

snip

this is already in game, i thought it was a bug for really too long XD

i love the "the sims" like idea, you just won't do stuff that is not related to immediate danger / needs

snip

i love the "the sims" like idea, you just won't do stuff that is not related to immediate danger / needs

Oh it is? I have never noticed a slowdown, how did you discover it?

Also, being depressed shouldn't make your character not do stuff.  Loss of control is always terrible in game, and I don't think should ever be done.  Depression is one of those things that is just tricky to do right, because of how differently it affects each person.  The one thing I can think of, as I said earlier, that seems to describe most depression sufferers is seeing the world in shades of gray.

Just make actions take longer if depressed, like you are listless. Considering that depression makes you less interested in pretty much everything, that would make sense. It can be well balanced, is not debilitating, (in case you like role playing as a depressed person) and affects gameplay in a noticeable way.snip

Oh it is? I have never noticed a slowdown, how did you discover it?

Also, being depressed shouldn't make your character not do stuff. Loss of control is always terrible in game, and I don't think should ever be done. Depression is one of those things that is just tricky to do right, because of how differently it affects each person. The one thing I can think of, as I said earlier, that seems to describe most depression sufferers is seeing the world in shades of gray.

It may depend on the severity of depression, if you let your character reach the top then you'll need to "heal" it before being able to do most of the stuff. I don't have enough english here, did you suggest to add a grey filter?

Anyway I noticed that because I've been told here on the forum lately.

Try to be depressed and move a lot of nails or cigarettes, it's the best way to notice it

Hmm, the numbness part of depression can lead to lack of care for minor things. I can see me having a small chance of taking scratches from trees because I'm too depressed to care about moving through them "safely". This could be expanded on to make depression turn the world more dangerous overall as you can get hurt from things you couldn't from before.

Hmm, the numbness part of depression can lead to lack of care for minor things. I can see me having a small chance of taking scratches from trees because I'm too depressed to care about moving through them "safely". This could be expanded on to make depression turn the world more dangerous overall as you can get hurt from things you couldn't from before.

huh thats an idea. Just as long as my character is all like "I forgot how to breath" then flops dead on the ground. or he isn't like "Oh look a tree, oh look a twig, and now i have been impaled." Point is as long as its not severe things and doesn't happen often then i +1.

huh thats an idea. Just as long as my character is all like "I forgot how to breath" then flops dead on the ground. or he isn't like "Oh look a tree, oh look a twig, and now i have been impaled." Point is as long as its not severe things and doesn't happen often then i +1.

Nah, nothing that would ruin you. The idea was to add something that can be detrimental but avoidable to the knowledgeable and careful.