Steam Beta Release - 09th Sep 2013 - Version 2.9.9.17

RobertJohnson

Well maybe not everyone is posting their problem, but i know alot with AMD/ATI combinations which have problems with this game.

I dont said that no optimisations have been done already, but its ugly that still many having issues with it. And im curious

why much more AMD/ATI people having problems compared to intel/nvidia peoples, atleast i dont know guys with intel/nvidia to have problems with the game...

Well if you have any hint why many have problems with the game just tell.

I've got a AMD Radeon HD 6750M and I'm now getting "micro-spikes" every quarter minute or so.  Effects everything in the game, including popping out to the options menu.  In fact, it seems to occur even out of actual gameplay.  IE if I try to make a game with a name "123456789", I'll get an odd pause somewhere in typing the name.

It's also the first time I've had multiple crash-to-desktops before getting into the game itself (ie on the "End Times" screen or right after).

I've not noticed this before in any previous release, or really any serious lag/latency issues - so I don't know if that makes it vid card related or not.  I'll test more as I can, but don't have a ton of time on hand.

Do me a favor and try what I recommended on the last page, RegularX.

It's not a guaranteed fix, but the odds seem to be around 1:4.

I'm on a Mac, so I don't think I have the same kind of driver options you get on Windows.  I'd check out the in game settings, but it seems to be routinely crashing to desktop now.  This is the Java VM crash output:

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000460ef000VM Regions Near 0x460ef000:    MALLOC_LARGE           000000004606f000-00000000460ef000 [  512K] rw-/rwx SM=PRV  --> shared memory          00000000460ef000-00000000460f0000 [    4K] rw-/rw- SM=SHM      shared memory          000000004616c000-000000004616d000 [    4K] rw-/rw- SM=SHM  Application Specific Information:objc[1699]: garbage collection is OFFJava information: Exception type: Bus Error (0xa) at pc=000000009b194a57 Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (20.51-b01-457 mixed mode macosx-x86)Current thread (000000000516dc00):  JavaThread "main" [_thread_in_native, id=-1332187136, stack(00000000b0187000,00000000b0987000)]Stack: [00000000b0187000,00000000b0987000]Java frames: (J=compiled Java code, j=interpreted, Vv=VM code)J  org.lwjgl.opengl.GL11.nglGetTexImage(IIIIJJ)VJ  org.lwjgl.opengl.GL11.glGetTexImage(IIIILjava/nio/ByteBuffer;)VJ  zombie.core.textures.TextureID.getData()Lzombie/core/utils/WrappedBuffer;J  zombie.core.textures.Mask.<init>(Lzombie/interfaces/ITexture;)Vj  zombie.core.textures.Texture.createMask()V+4j  zombie.ui.UI_BodyPart.<init>(Lzombie/characters/BodyDamage/BodyPartType;IILjava/lang/String;Lzombie/characters/IsoGameCharacter;Z)V+71j  zombie.ui.NewHealthPanel.<init>(IILzombie/characters/IsoGameCharacter;)V+195v  ~StubRoutines::call_stub

When I get a chance I'll try a complete wipe and reinstall of the game.

Yeah, let us know how it goes :)

my issues have been fixed by the looks of it so far. But i'm still very maddened by how zombies are currently working. I played in sandbox mode with low zombie density. After 3 days, there are about 500+ zombies within an ingame 1/4 mile radius of my base and nearby storage house. This lead to my death because this new zombie walking seems a little broken atm. Seems like they just walk at your position instead of randomly and the very few map sounds don't really lead them away anymore. I mean I miss the big group of a hoard all grouped together not really moving since no food was to be found, where you could at least use strategy and sound to lead them out of your way. Currently these 500+ zombies are spread out and there is just no possible way to kill them all, lead them away from my base, or anything else. Very maddening. I appreciate all the work you do but can you explain why I have 500+ zombies in such a cluster fook in a low zombie density setting? Would very much like to know if this is a bug in settings, AI, pathfinding, etc. 

I played for about 2 months (ingame) on 2.9.9.10 and NEVER had this much zombies or problems with them gradually hording just around my base. And that was in survival which I'm assuming had normal zombie density.

Still waiting on a response, I find the game rather unplayable (imo) in this state unless I want to set up shop in the country or be a constant nomad.

Ah, that's something else. One other fellow reported it earlier.

I'm really not sure what it indicates.

Got it, having some issue keeping track of all the various Steam bug threads out there.  GTK it's known, I'll cool my heels until the next beta.

Update: just to note, I tried a completely fresh install wiping out ~/Zomboid.  No dice, keeps crashing to desktop.  However, I'm heading out on vacation soon, and the wife would probably kill me for playing/modding Zomboid at the Hotel Resort ... so I'm willing chalk this down as a plus.

my issues have been fixed by the looks of it so far. But i'm still very maddened by how zombies are currently working. I played in sandbox mode with low zombie density. After 3 days, there are about 500+ zombies within an ingame 1/4 mile radius of my base and nearby storage house. This lead to my death because this new zombie walking seems a little broken atm. Seems like they just walk at your position instead of randomly and the very few map sounds don't really lead them away anymore. I mean I miss the big group of a hoard all grouped together not really moving since no food was to be found, where you could at least use strategy and sound to lead them out of your way. Currently these 500+ zombies are spread out and there is just no possible way to kill them all, lead them away from my base, or anything else. Very maddening. I appreciate all the work you do but can you explain why I have 500+ zombies in such a cluster fook in a low zombie density setting? Would very much like to know if this is a bug in settings, AI, pathfinding, etc. 

I played for about 2 months (ingame) on 2.9.9.10 and NEVER had this much zombies or problems with them gradually hording just around my base. And that was in survival which I'm assuming had normal zombie density.

Still waiting on a response, I find the game rather unplayable (imo) in this state unless I want to set up shop in the country or be a constant nomad.

Push and you will be rewarded in a very unfavorable manner, I'm sorry to say.

Your experiences do not mirror my own. I suggest you try setting shop up somewhere else?

Push and you will be rewarded in a very unfavorable manner, I'm sorry to say.

Your experiences do not mirror my own. I suggest you try setting shop up somewhere else?

It is not an isolated person as I have seen other people reporting this subject. Moving the base did nothing. Still after 2-3 days they are everywhere. Not being pushy, just bumping so it doesn't inevitably get buried in the posts. Would like an official statement on the subject on if this indeed a bug, if so with what? Even setting up shop in the country apparently doesn't fix it (according to other posts).

You don't need to bump your ideas constantly. The devs read over the entire post on a daily basis. Repeatedly posting about the same thing is annoying to them, us, and others. Please resist the urge to post about the same thing multiple times. This is a friendly verbal warning- please don't keep it up or we'll have to escalate the issue.

It is not an isolated person as I have seen other people reporting this subject. Moving the base did nothing. Still after 2-3 days they are everywhere. Not being pushy, just bumping so it doesn't inevitably get buried in the posts. Would like an official statement on the subject on if this indeed a bug, if so with what? Even setting up shop in the country apparently doesn't fix it (according to other posts).

Bumping isn't cool mkay? The devs certainly won't give an official statement to everything that is reported in here.

This steam release is a test so errors were to be expected.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Rathlord... again :(

Not exactly how I expected to be treated by moderators. I am a paying customer who is highly interested in the game. I realize all the work they do and are super appreciative of all they do. Me posting something twice (2 times) is no where near reason for giving me that tone. I've had posts lost before so when I ask a simple question and it doesn't get answered, I will most definitely post it again. Nothing wrong with that and I can delete my ONE extra post then. If it annoys you just scroll over it. And yes I know it is a steam release but it is not just this release. If the devs read over all the posts on a daily basis and make no comment on a quite serious issue to a few of us here, how exactly am I supposed to get one? If bumping once gets you into a such a mood, what exactly am I supposed to do. This is a forum, expect things to get asked multiple times and bumped until they are answered. I've had to run forums before and this is NOT how a person who fully supports the game should be treated. I am very disappointed by the moderators at the moment. A verbal warning for just wanting an answer is quite unprofessional. "The Devs will answer your question as soon as they get the chance, please refrain from posting multiple times to cluster the forum, thanks!" Now doesn't that sound like a more appropriate response? Sorry if I am mad but where I work currently, I would get fired if I talked to a customer like that. Just because this is the internet doesn't mean customers shouldn't be treated with respect. I will refrain from posting unless my questions and those that others like me have asked have not been answered. I do not want to anger any one, I only want to be treated professionally and not a basic "shut up and keep quiet" remark. Thank you Devs for you time and moderators, I'm sure you are very nice people and I hope this is a fluke, I know you help out just as much as some of the big guys. Not trying to distract from that.

The thing is that some people mistake these threads as a "direct line to the devs". They aren't obligated to answer to every single issue that is brought up here.

So just be sure that your reports don't go unnoticed and bumping them isn't necessary. That's all I have said.

If you are afraid of missing an answer you can "follow" this thread or bookmark your initial post :)

I assure you I'm not in 'a mood' quite yet. I was very cordial in my reply. I gave you a verbal warning because you were asked by a moderator not to bump your posts and you replied that you were going to do it anyways. I think you can see how that might not be appreciated? You've also posted this issue in what- 2, or 3 threads now?

The admins read this thread every day. That doesn't mean that they're inclined or obliged to reply to you ever, at all. If they have time, or have something meaningful to add I'm sure they will (and they do). Otherwise, they might not and you'll just have to live with the fact that they've seen it (as I assure you, they have).

I'm simply trying to tell you that repeating the same thing in topic multiple times isn't going to help you or anyone else- and it's not. If you have a problem with how I or anyone else is moderating I can get one of the staff in here right now to handle it, otherwise please refrain from multiple posting and let's get the thread back on track.

I assure you I'm not in 'a mood' quite yet. I was very cordial in my reply. I gave you a verbal warning because you were asked by a moderator not to bump your posts and you replied that you were going to do it anyways. I think you can see how that might not be appreciated? You've also posted this issue in what- 2, or 3 threads now?

The admins read this thread every day. That doesn't mean that they're inclined or obliged to reply to you ever, at all. If they have time, or have something meaningful to add I'm sure they will (and they do). Otherwise, they might not and you'll just have to live with the fact that they've seen it (as I assure you, they have).

I'm simply trying to tell you that repeating the same thing in topic multiple times isn't going to help you or anyone else- and it's not. If you have a problem with how I or anyone else is moderating I can get one of the staff in here right now to handle it, otherwise please refrain from multiple posting and let's get the thread back on track.

I'm sorry but no where did I say I would "continue" to bump my posts (before I replied to your comment). I just answered his post with a reply, you can read it for yourself. All I was doing was clarifying my intentions. This is the only place I h ave posted this. I replied to a bug report about someone with the same issue where I believe they used my post in their original post. I would sincerely hope that the devs are obligated/inclinded to answer their paying customers questions, just as any company is. You don't get business and good reports by ignoring your customers. That is what we call support. So please don't blow my situation out of proportion, this is the only place I have originally posted, I am not spamming this everywhere. I only expect to be treated respectfully and in turn so will I. Thank you. Yes back on track is good.

Update: just to note, I tried a completely fresh install wiping out ~/Zomboid.  No dice, keeps crashing to desktop.  However, I'm heading out on vacation soon, and the wife would probably kill me for playing/modding Zomboid at the Hotel Resort ... so I'm willing chalk this down as a plus.

Haha you should tell your wife that modding Zomboid is good for relaxing ... or tell her the truth: You will get signs of withdrawal without it :P

I wonder how it would feel to play Dead Island in a Hotel Resort ...

This isn't a forum where one "bumps" their posts by themselves.

Sure, it is fine to bring up an issue you've felt was not addressed previously, within a reasonable about of time. Less than 24 hours is not an appropriate amount of time for the developers to address your issue, particularly as this issue might not be their top priority at this time.

Posting repeatedly the same message causes only needless clutter in an already disorganized thread. It doesn't increase awareness of the problem: it eclipses it.

This isn't a forum where one "bumps" their posts by themselves.

Sure, it is fine to bring up an issue you've felt was not addressed previously, within a reasonable about of time. Less than 24 hours is not an appropriate amount of time for the developers to address your issue, particularly as this issue might not be their top priority at this time.

Posting repeatedly the same message causes only needless clutter in an already disorganized thread. It doesn't increase awareness of the problem: it eclipses it.

Yes you are right. Feel free to delete whatever posts of mine you deem necessary in this topic, including this one, as there is now a bug report post. Sorry for any issues and if I can delete my own just let me know how and I'll take care of it. Thanks

There's something I don't quite understand with those new steam updates :

I did add the game with a steam-key to my steam library. Now, will steam keep the game updated on its own ? like, I installed PZ on steam a couple of days ago on .17, does the version I have now is the version described in the op of this thread ?

There's something I don't quite understand with those new steam updates :

I did add the game with a steam-key to my steam library. Now, will steam keep the game updated on its own ? like, I installed PZ on steam a couple of days ago on .17, does the version I have now is the version described in the op of this thread ?

Under the game properties, there is a beta tab.  From there you can opt in to get the latest beta, or stick with the original 9.17 Steam Build.

And btw, for those of you (like myself) having trouble running the latest Steam Beta, you can always delete the local content, opt out of the beta and the download the game again.  Since I couldn't really use the new combat system, it's actually the best version for me right now anyway.

Not exactly how I expected to be treated by moderators. I am a paying customer who is highly interested in the game. I realize all the work they do and are super appreciative of all they do. Me posting something twice (2 times) is no where near reason for giving me that tone. I've had posts lost before so when I ask a simple question and it doesn't get answered, I will most definitely post it again. Nothing wrong with that and I can delete my ONE extra post then. If it annoys you just scroll over it. And yes I know it is a steam release but it is not just this release. If the devs read over all the posts on a daily basis and make no comment on a quite serious issue to a few of us here, how exactly am I supposed to get one? If bumping once gets you into a such a mood, what exactly am I supposed to do. This is a forum, expect things to get asked multiple times and bumped until they are answered. I've had to run forums before and this is NOT how a person who fully supports the game should be treated. I am very disappointed by the moderators at the moment. A verbal warning for just wanting an answer is quite unprofessional. "The Devs will answer your question as soon as they get the chance, please refrain from posting multiple times to cluster the forum, thanks!" Now doesn't that sound like a more appropriate response? Sorry if I am mad but where I work currently, I would get fired if I talked to a customer like that. Just because this is the internet doesn't mean customers shouldn't be treated with respect. I will refrain from posting unless my questions and those that others like me have asked have not been answered. I do not want to anger any one, I only want to be treated professionally and not a basic "shut up and keep quiet" remark. Thank you Devs for you time and moderators, I'm sure you are very nice people and I hope this is a fluke, I know you help out just as much as some of the big guys. Not trying to distract from that.

This is just the view of another customer and community member, given with all due and genuine respect for the hard work that goes into making this great game and running the community. I don't want to offend anyone, but I felt it was worth airing a third party's view of this discussion as everyone who visits and reads these forums are potential customers.

I think it's important for everyone involved in PZ - whether dev or community rep/mod (many of whom were at one time "just another poster") to remember this is a commercial product with paying customers, who spread good word of mouth as much based on community friendliness and good customer service as the quality of the game itself.

I see nothing wrong with expecting an answer to a question on a technical support forum for a product one has paid for, so long as someone is polite and not acting ureasonably ("I demand you fix this issue now!!!"). Anyone who works in customer service or retail knows how important maintaining good relations with customers are, even the ones who might annoy you for not behaving as you'd like them to. What Jjoncm1 says about possibly being fired in a "real world" workplace for an off-hand tone even if it wasn't meant to be nasty is very true.

Again, not wanting to step on any toes, just the observation of another customer  and fan of the game and it's wonderful team, and who's seen both sides of this kind of issue. Feel free to delete this if you feel it's too off-topic, folks; I won't be offended.

I seemed to have some difficulty opening windows with E.   And often couldnt select them manually to open them with the mouse.    I'd get a break option but not an open.    At other times both worked fine.     Not sure if that's being commonly reported.

Do you get any errors in the console?