Steam Beta Release - 09th Sep 2013 - Version 2.9.9.17

RobertJohnson

EDIT: I'm presuming the posters below me got the update before I attempted it?!

Erm... in fact no, I didn't. Yesterday unchecked the beta from Steam to have a bit more stable version. Today, after reading your post, I reselected Beta, Steam downloaded the small bits, and here I am.

Thanks for the info. Seems like Steam was screwing up the update for some of us. Ended up redownloading the whole game and turning betas back on (was turned off by redownloading, it seems). Got a 400kb patch and when I restarted the game... mouse zoom at last! :)

Hey devs, how about setting up a bugtracker so that we don't have to report bugs in this unstructured and confusing way?

I set up an internal bug tracker for test builds a while back, but the developers prefer to work in a rather unstructured way. After my move, I might still set up a JIRA project for public reporting -- it just wouldn't be a replacement for this forum.

Hey devs, how about setting up a bugtracker so that we don't have to report bugs in this unstructured and confusing way?

Sounds cool how would one set up a bug tracker. I don't think i have ever seen one. Plz enlighten me cuz i am not a fan of the way bugs are reported now. to many duplicates having to search to see if you issue has been reported and if it has then trying to do it better or in a way that moves the devs closer to solving it.

I set up an internal bug tracker for test builds a while back, but the developers prefer to work in a rather unstructured way. After my move, I might still set up a JIRA project for public reporting -- it just wouldn't be a replacement for this forum.

Sounds cool :)

Okay... I am flabbergasted. After developing software for about 10 years now, I have to tell indiestone: USE A BUGTRACKER. Having a bugtracker will help you in the long run to avoid unnecessary work although it may feel like you get too much administration work. This administration work - which you undoubtely have to do at the beginning - will easily pay off once the thing is running. Furthermore you can integrate most bugtracker into your versioning system (like github or svn) enabling you to keep track of features and milestones/versions.

If you are interested in this topic, I can search for a few links which elaborate more clearly.

Edit 1: ... and lots of administrative work once the bugtracker is running can be done by your nice forum admins. ;)

Edit 2: You can also use a bugtracker for internal communication. Which means you can write bugs/tasks for other team members when you need work done. This have several advantages over e-mails: You can keep track how much of the work is already done by looking the task in the tracker, you don't need to remind people of that mail which you sent two weeks ago, since the bug will be assigned to them and won't get lost (at least not until it is "closed"), when someone needs further information they can comment on the bug and assign it to whomever has the information who can then answer and re-assign the bug. It's definitely easier than communicating by email and they won't be any information loss like when you use mails.

The No-Stagger glitch is still present, even with the new system.

I tried to set up a home somewhere. Spent time to re-organize the containers and put sheets in the windows. Then I went out for some loot... When I came back home, my sheets were gone and containers inside the house reset their items while the ones I put there were still there.

Okay... I am flabbergasted. After developing software for about 10 years now, I have to tell indiestone: USE A BUGTRACKER. Having a bugtracker will help you in the long run to avoid unnecessary work although it may feel like you get too much administration work. This administration work - which you undoubtely have to do at the beginning - will easily pay off once the thing is running. Furthermore you can integrate most bugtracker into your versioning system (like github or svn) enabling you to keep track of features and milestones/versions.

If you are interested in this topic, I can search for a few links which elaborate more clearly.

Edit 1: ... and lots of administrative work once the bugtracker is running can be done by your nice forum admins. ;)

Edit 2: You can also use a bugtracker for internal communication. Which means you can write bugs/tasks for other team members when you need work done. This have several advantages over e-mails: You can keep track how much of the work is already done by looking the task in the tracker, you don't need to remind people of that mail which you sent two weeks ago, since the bug will be assigned to them and won't get lost (at least not until it is "closed"), when someone needs further information they can comment on the bug and assign it to whomever has the information who can then answer and re-assign the bug. It's definitely easier than communicating by email and they won't be any information loss like when you use mails.

You say this, but we're at the stage at the moment where there are too many MUST FIX RIGHT NOW issues for a bug tracker to be useful. It's infinitely more useful to look at this thread and see ten people all complaining about the same problem in the space of an hour, than it is to read reports written by people with their own determination of severity. In that case its either looking through 50 duplicate bugs, or having to maintain the bugs database to remove duplicates, all for something where we could just look at this thread for 10 seconds and say 'oh fuck it's crashing when.... and then spend the next day bashing our heads against it.

Once we're in a more stable place and near ready for Steam, and the bugs we are looking for are not 'THIS BREAKS ON 100% OF PEOPLES MACHINES' we will open up the bug tracker to the public. FYI we have a bug tracker for the closed testers, though even in this case there's always some 'drama of the day' bug we're working on 100% most days. Maintaining a bugs database at this stage would expend more time than it saved, which is why every time we've started using them we've ended up drifting away, closed and public testing, since there's rarely a moment at present you're twiddling your thumbs wondering what you should fix.

I really like the new combat system!

However I've noticed a bit of strange behavior crop up since it's arrival:

Sometimes after hitting a zombie a few times it'll start to get up then snap back to the ground, dead.

Also i noticed the last version swinging a shovel didnt cause exhaustion, making it an unstoppable superweapon. (didnt find a shovel in this playthrough though, so apologies if this is already addressed)

I'm not sure if it's this update or the one that fixed the LOS bug, but I started to get horrible FPS (around 15-20, sometimes more when I'm away from buildings or not moving). The game worked fine with the initial Steam build, although I didn't check my FPS back then.

You say this, but we're at the stage at the moment where there are too many MUST FIX RIGHT NOW issues for a bug tracker to be useful. It's infinitely more useful to look at this thread and see ten people all complaining about the same problem in the space of an hour, than it is to read reports written by people with their own determination of severity. In that case its either looking through 50 duplicate bugs, or having to maintain the bugs database to remove duplicates, all for something where we could just look at this thread for 10 seconds and say 'oh fuck it's crashing when.... and then spend the next day bashing our heads against it.

Once we're in a more stable place and near ready for Steam, and the bugs we are looking for are not 'THIS BREAKS ON 100% OF PEOPLES MACHINES' we will open up the bug tracker to the public. FYI we have a bug tracker for the closed testers, though even in this case there's always some 'drama of the day' bug we're working on 100% most days. Maintaining a bugs database at this stage would expend more time than it saved, which is why every time we've started using them we've ended up drifting away, closed and public testing, since there's rarely a moment at present you're twiddling your thumbs wondering what you should fix.

Hey, I just wanna say thanks for ALL you guys are doing I couldn't image what needs to be done in a day. Although others may complain :evil: . Keep on pushing any little update helps!

On one side, good Job that this game makes so much process and gets constantly updated with new features

and bugfixes. But theres one thing me and many guys are not happy about =/

Since many versions the game has many micro-lags and sometimes heavy framedrops on

very good gaming PC`s, mostly with AMD/ATI combination. Its not only me having this problem, some guys in

the german PZ community having these problems and aswell my friends which do have AMD/ATI combinations.

And no, it isnt the driver of the graphiccard or the systemcomponents or java. Even a clean install doesnt change

anything. Dont get me wrong, my english isnt that good so this post maybe sound aggressive.

I only want to tell you that you maybe should focus a little bit more on performance if possible cause many people

having these performance issues only with this game and that makes the feelings bad.

I know it`s a alpha/steam beta version but i dont think performance stuff should be done at final release only.

Maybe you work already on it or have it on your todo list, i dont know, if not maybe you think about performance

optimization a bit. I just wanted to tell you that =)

Thanks for reading this.

Greetings

Houy

System Specs:

System:

- Asus M4A89TD Pro USB3/890FX Watercooled

- Silent 650W Power Supply
- AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 6x 3,2Ghz
- Raid0 2x 250GB Barracuda Seagata 7200/upm
- 8GB Corsair XMS3 / 9,9,9,26
- ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB 800Mhz/1000Mhz
- Logitech G110
- Logitech MX518

- Audio Interface Behringer 302 USB
- Headphone AKG K530
- Microfone Zalman ZM-MIC1

Another Phenom II dude with a HD6870 reporting in, no micro-lags or suchlike. No-one's claiming that such things don't exist, it's just that not everyone gets them and thus they're not trivial to pin down and fix.

A ton of time is already being spent on optimizing the game. Just because it hasn't fixed your particular problem doesn't mean it hasn't been done.

Well maybe not everyone is posting their problem, but i know alot with AMD/ATI combinations which have problems with this game.

I dont said that no optimisations have been done already, but its ugly that still many having issues with it. And im curious

why much more AMD/ATI people having problems compared to intel/nvidia peoples, atleast i dont know guys with intel/nvidia to have problems with the game...

Well if you have any hint why many have problems with the game just tell.

Well maybe not everyone is posting their problem, but i know alot with AMD/ATI combinations which have problems with this game.

I dont said that no optimisations have been done already, but its ugly that still many having issues with it. And im curious

why much more AMD/ATI people having problems compared to intel/nvidia peoples, atleast i dont know guys with intel/nvidia to have problems with the game...

Well if you have any hint why many have problems with the game just tell.

Maybe you just have a larger number of ATI/AMD users on your forum and are therefore assuming that the problem is primarily with ATI/AMD when it's not?

We tend to get a large number of both Intel and AMD users with issues here.

My only suggestions are to disable AA entirely, set anything possible to "let the application decide," to "performance" instead of quality, and disable OpenGL triple buffering.

I also recommend you open a program like PerfMon and see how much of a hit your harddrive is taking while playing PZ.

Any videos of this? I'm yet to find any Gas or alcohol in game this build :/

You will -- look particularly in crates.

It manifests mainly as a large amount of fire, so to call it an explosion is a bit kind, but if it works . . .