How I run PZ through Steam on Ubuntu 12.04 64Bit

blindcoder

Question

Hello fellow survivors. This is how I got PZ to start through Steam on Ubuntu 12.04 64Bit.

First, install the 32Bit Java:

sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jre:i386

Then set it as your default java:

sudo update-alternatives --config java

In the upcoming menu, select /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-i386/jre/bin/java

I then copied all the files containing "lwjgl" from the game Towns to ~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/ProjectZomboid/projectzomboid:

cd ~/.local/share/Steam/SteamAppscp common/towns/lib/native/*liblwjgl*so common/ProjectZomboid/projectzomboid/

I have attached the relevant .so files in bz2 compressed format. Rename as needed, uncompress and put into PZs directory.

This way, PZ is now launching for me via Steam.

liblwjgl.so.bz2.txt

liblwjgl64.so.bz2.txt

7 answers to this question

If you would like to avoid apt-getting the 32bit version, you'll be fine downloading jdk 32bit from Oracle and putting it inside /opt/

1. Download latest jdk here http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

2. untar and rename to /opt/jdk

3. Open your ~/Steam/SteamApps/common/ProjectZomboid/projectzomboid.sh with a text editor that makes you happy.

4. On line 7 put in

export JAVA_HOME="/opt/jdk"export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH

5. Use the liblwjgl files attached in OP

Good idea to create this thread (never enough linux threads :) ).

There's an ongoing discussion about setting up java 32-bit (which Steam requires) for 64-bit users : 

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/1384-pz-through-steam-on-linux-not-working/

A few additions, though nothing below should be required to get the game to work in the first place :

Snypertyler's script to download and extract latest liblwjgl[64].so into pz folder :
http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/769-pz-on-linux-solution/

Folks who get a XInitThread related error WHEN switching on 'multicore' option in options menu (usually game crashes soon after getting on main screen), may wanna have a look at Eggplanticus's fix :
http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/1044-damn-you-linuxjava/
http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/1156-pz-source-code-spelunking-debugging-and-decompiling/

Notes :

- it's a bit involving fix, but it's afaik the only one out there to enable multicore threading optimizations for some but apparently not all linux systems. Devs will likely address the issue in a "not too distant future" (no-ETAsTM  :P).
- if you can't start the game anymore after switching 'multicore' on, remove ~/Zomboid/options.bin file and options should be reset back to default (multicore 'no' for Linux users)

Yeah I'll get to it. :P Just was a very very very painful complete day to install 32bit Ubuntu on a Virtual Box, install a dev environment, figure out how to set up the project, compile it up, then finally I get it working and find out I have to repeat the entire process using 64bit linux :Pi

sorry but at the moment the Steam version for all three platforms is very wobbly, and my attention needs to be on getting the game stable. As soon as it is, I'll look into doing this :P

Yeah I'll get to it. :P Just was a very very very painful complete day to install 32bit Ubuntu on a Virtual Box, install a dev environment, figure out how to set up the project, compile it up, then finally I get it working and find out I have to repeat the entire process using 64bit linux :Pi

sorry but at the moment the Steam version for all three platforms is very wobbly, and my attention needs to be on getting the game stable. As soon as it is, I'll look into doing this :P

I'm perfectly fine accepting this as best answer :D

Thanks for the effort, I really appreciate it (and in the meantime enjoy the Steam version using the method above)!

Thanks so far @Aricane and blindcoder

If you would like to avoid apt-getting the 32bit version, you'll be fine downloading jdk 32bit from Oracle and putting it inside /opt/

1. Download latest jdk here http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

2. untar and rename to /opt/jdk

3. Open your ~/Steam/SteamApps/common/ProjectZomboid/projectzomboid.sh with a text editor that makes you happy.

4. On line 7 put in

export JAVA_HOME="/opt/jdk"export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH

5. Use the liblwjgl files attached in OP

For me step 5 produced this error message:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: Method org.lwjgl.openal.ALC10.nalcGetString(JI)Ljava/lang/String; name or signature does not match	at org.lwjgl.openal.ALC10.initNativeStubs(Native Method)	at org.lwjgl.openal.AL.init(AL.java:157)	at org.lwjgl.openal.AL.create(AL.java:138)	at org.lwjgl.openal.AL.create(AL.java:102)	at org.lwjgl.openal.AL.create(AL.java:201)	at zombie.openal.SoundStore$1.run(SoundStore.java:612)	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)	at zombie.openal.SoundStore.init(SoundStore.java:607)	at zombie.GameWindow.maina(GameWindow.java:837)	at zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState.main(MainScreenState.java:112)

If anyone else encounters this problem: just leave it out.

However... now (following step 1 to 4) the game starts but it's still not playable. After the introduction screen (this is the end times...) the screen is full of graphics errors and only the instruction-window and the inventory are visible. Also the context-menu can be seen when I right-click somewhere on the screen.

Is this a known bug to someone? Anybody got some advice?

Relevant system info: Xubuntu 12.04 64bit, Radeon HD3870 with newest proprietary driver (soon to be replaced with a HD7850 which features newer drivers - probably this will help?)

Thanks in advance.