Questions regarding SandboxVars.lua and serveroptions.ini

bandus

Greetings! I recently purchased Project Zomboid and am excited to set up my own private server to play with some friends of mine. In attempting to configure the server, I have come across a few questions. I appreciate any assistance!

1. With regard to the SandboxVars.lua file, I can't seem to find any current and definitive source that describes what the variables can be set to.

For example, I understand that DayLength = 2, changes the length of a day. However, if I change it to 3, how long does that make a day last?

Also, at the top of the default SandboxVars.lua file is a line that says "Speed = 3," At first I thought that it controlled the speed of the zombies, but that appears to be handled lower in the LUA file. It doesn't seem to control the day length either because of the variable mentioned above. So what does this do?

I realize this game is still in early access, however, does any current and definitive source exist so that I can better understand what changing these variables do?

2. Another question is the serveroptions.ini file. Most of the options in there seem self explanatory, but the first option "nightlengthmodifier=1.0" confuses me a bit. Is this something that needs to be changed in addition to the DayLength modifier in the SandboxVars.lua file?

Thank you!

If you have the game through steam find the sanboxvariables launcher, there it will give you a table and make it very clear what settings are for what for the most part.  Once youre done using the launcher it will prompt you to save your custom settings.  These settings can only be adjusted on a fresh server, if you change the settings i do believe you must have a fresh server each time you change those settings IN MP, i might be wrong. 

I also would like clairifaction on how the night modifier works. 

if you have the game through steam find the sanboxvariables launcher,

Thank you for your reply! I do indeed have the game through Steam, however, I am not entirely clear on what the "Sandboxvariables launcher" is or where it would be located. Can you elaborate? Thank you!

if you have the game through steam find the sanboxvariables launcher,

Thank you for your reply! I do indeed have the game through Steam, however, I am not entirely clear on what the "Sandboxvariables launcher" is or where it would be located. Can you elaborate? Thank you!

i forget the name of the file, its inside the project zomboid folder found within steam/steamapps/common/projectzomboid/somefile that says somethign about sandbox variables

Thank you again Tibby!

I wanted to add this for posterity in case someone has the same questions I still do. Below is my SandboxVars.lua file that I have added comments to based on the research I have done so far. If anyone finds something here that is inaccurate, please say so! 

Anyhow, here goes:

SandboxVars ={    Speed = 3,    Zombies = 3, -- 1 is insane amount, 5 is none    Distribution = 1, -- 1 is urban, 2 is uniform    Survivors = 1,    DayLength = 3, -- 1 is 15 minutes, 2 is 30 minutes, 3 is 1 hour, 4 is 2 hours, 5 is 3 hours, 6 is 4 hours, 7 is 5 hours, 8 is 12 hours, 9 is real-time    StartMonth = 7, -- 1 is Jan, 12 is Dec    StartTime = 2, -- 1 is 7AM, 2 is 9AM, 3 is 12PM, 4 is 2PM, 5 is 5PM, 6 is 9PM, 7 is 12AM, 8 is 2AM, 9 is 5AM	-- the number of day before water shut off (-1 mean instant)	WaterShutModifier = 90,	-- the number of day before elec shut off (-1 mean instant)	ElecShutModifier = 90,    FoodLoot = 3, -- 1 is extremely rare, 5 is abundant    WeaponLoot = 2, -- 1 is extremely rare, 5 is abundant    OtherLoot = 2, -- 1 is extremely rare, 5 is abundant	Temperature = 3, -- 1 is very cold, 5 is very hot	Rain = 3, -- 1 is very dry, 5 is is very rainy--	Erosion = 2,	ErosionSpeed = 3, -- 1 is very fast (20 days), 5 is very slow (500 days)    XpMultiplier = 1.0,    StatsDecrease = 3, -- 1 is very fast, 5 is very slow    NatureAbundance = 3, -- 1 is very poor, 5 is very abundant    Alarm = 3, -- 1 is never, 6 is very often    LockedHouses = 3, -- 1 is never, 6 is very often    FoodRotSpeed = 3, -- 1 is very fast, 5 is very slow    FridgeFactor = 3, -- 1 is very low, 5 is very high    Farming = 3, -- 1 is vey fast, 5 is very slow    ZombiesRespawn = 2, -- 1 is none, 2 is every day, 3 is every week, 4 is every month, 5 is every two months    LootRespawn = 1, -- 1 is none, 2 is every day, 3 is every week, 4 is every month, 5 is every two months    StarterKit = false,    TimeSinceApo = 1,    PlantResilience = 3, -- Plants resilience against disease/weather. 1 is very low, 5 is very high    PlantAbundance = 3, -- How much farm plants produce. 1 is very poor, 5 is very abundant    EndRegen = 3, -- Endurance regeneration (how fast you regain endurance). 1 is very fast, 5 is ver slow    ZombieLore = {        Speed = 2, -- 1 is sprinters (fastest), 2 is fast shamblers, 3 is shamblers (slowest)        Strength = 2, -- 1 is superhuman, 2 is normal, 3 is weak        Toughness = 2, -- 1 is tough, 2 is normal, 3 is fragile        Transmission = 1, -- 1 is blood/saliva, 2 is everyone is infected, 3 is no transmission        Mortality = 5, -- This governs how deadly infection is. 1 is instant, 6 is 1 to 2 weeks        Reanimate = 3, -- How fast zombies come back to life...again. 1 is instant, 6 is 1 to 2 weeks        Cognition = 3, -- How smart zombies are. 1 is Navigate/Use Doors, 3 is basic navigation only        Memory = 2, -- How much zombies will remember. 1 is long, 4 is none        Decomp = 1, -- How decomposition will affect zombies. 1 is slows/weakens them, 4 is no effect        Sight = 2, -- How well zombies can see. 1 is eagle-eyed, 3 is poor        Hearing = 2, -- How well zombies can hear. 1 is pinpoint, 3 is poor        Smell = 2, -- How well zombies can smell. 1 is bloodhound, 3 is poor    }}local DefaultSandboxVars = {}for k,v in pairs(SandboxVars) do	DefaultSandboxVars[k] = vendfunction setDefaultSandboxVars()	for k,v in pairs(DefaultSandboxVars) do		SandboxVars[k] = v	endend 

• 6 months later...

You are awesome bandus!

The file ModdedTibby is talking is usually under steam folders and it's called PZServerSettings.exe.

But DON'T use that. It's outdated. It's creating a different SandboxVars.lua and could lead to lot of strange issues inside the server.

• 2 months later...
On 2015. 06. 16. at 9:09 PM, bandus said:

1. With regard to the SandboxVars.lua file, I can't seem to find any current and definitive source that describes what the variables can be set to.

For example, I understand that DayLength = 2, changes the length of a day. However, if I change it to 3, how long does that make a day last?

Hey.

The variables refer to the PZServerSettings' dropdown menu, from top to bottom.

For instance "Zombies = 3" is normal zombies. While "Zombies = 1" is insane zombies, and "Zombies = 5" is none.

In the steam version PZServerSettings can be found at steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid\PZServerSettings\.

I hope I made sense.

Edited by whaletastic

On 11/03/2016 at 9:57 PM, whaletastic said:

Hey.

The variables refer to the PZServerSettings' dropdown menu, from top to bottom.

For instance "Zombies = 3" is normal zombies. While "Zombies = 1" is insane zombies, and "Zombies = 5" is none.

In the steam version PZServerSettings can be found at steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid\PZServerSettings\.

I hope I made sense.

This...