servertest_SandboxVars.lua settings: Transmission not working + changing default "servertest"

Darjusz

Hey Guys! This is my first post, so let me say I'm glad to be here. I hope everyone are doing well and kicking Zeds' arses :D

I run a public dedicated server and we've noticed that although I set up Transmission to None (3) in default servertest_SandboxVars.lua file, we're being still infected and killed with i.e. Bites.

Here is the entire file:

SandboxVars =

{

Speed = 3,

Zombies = 3,

Distribution = 1,

Survivors = 1,

DayLength = 2,

StartMonth = 7,

StartTime = 2,

-- the number of day before water shut off (-1 mean instant)

WaterShutModifier = 365,

-- the number of day before elec shut off (-1 mean instant)

ElecShutModifier = 365,

FoodLoot = 4,

WeaponLoot = 3,

OtherLoot = 3,

Temperature = 3,

Rain = 3,

-- Erosion = 2,

ErosionSpeed = 3,

XpMultiplier = 8.0,

StatsDecrease = 3,

NatureAbundance = 3,

Alarm = 4,

LockedHouses = 6,

FoodRotSpeed = 3,

FridgeFactor = 3,

Farming = 3,

ZombiesRespawn = 2,

LootRespawn = 2,

StarterKit = false,

TimeSinceApo = 1,

PlantResilience = 3,

PlantAbundance = 3,

EndRegen = 3,

ZombieLore = {

Speed = 2,

Strength = 2,

Toughness = 2,

Transmission = 3,

Mortality = 5,

Reanimate = 3,

Cognition = 3,

Memory = 2,

Decomp = 1,

Sight = 2,

Hearing = 2,

Smell = 2,

}

}

local DefaultSandboxVars = {}

for k,v in pairs(SandboxVars) do

DefaultSandboxVars[k] = v

end

function setDefaultSandboxVars()

for k,v in pairs(DefaultSandboxVars) do

SandboxVars[k] = v

end

end

Maybe I'm missing something I don't know... Everything else seems to be working fine, server is connectable from the outside, visible on public list, but I have this struggle for few days already. Anyone had luck with turning off Transmission/Zombification

I've installed the server by using: 

zomboid@myserv:/home/zomboid/new$ cat myinstaller.sh./steamcmd.sh +login viper_8809 +force_install_dir /home/zomboid/new/Zomboid_server \ "+app_update 108600 -beta onlinetest validate"\ +exit
Running up-to-date 31.13 version.

Bonus question:

Is there any way I can change the server naming convention for my instance with a custom text? I want to change all "servertest" to i.e. "mydomain_public" along with .db files changes. Basically allowing to have separate instances/configs for servers.

Hey Guys! This is my first post, so let me say I'm glad to be here. I hope everyone are doing well and kicking Zeds' arses :D

I run a public dedicated server and we've noticed that although I set up Transmission to None (3) in default servertest_SandboxVars.lua file, we're being still infected and killed with i.e. Bites.

Here is the entire file:

SandboxVars =

{

Speed = 3,

Zombies = 3,

Distribution = 1,

Survivors = 1,

DayLength = 2,

StartMonth = 7,

StartTime = 2,

-- the number of day before water shut off (-1 mean instant)

WaterShutModifier = 365,

-- the number of day before elec shut off (-1 mean instant)

ElecShutModifier = 365,

FoodLoot = 4,

WeaponLoot = 3,

OtherLoot = 3,

Temperature = 3,

Rain = 3,

-- Erosion = 2,

ErosionSpeed = 3,

XpMultiplier = 8.0,

StatsDecrease = 3,

NatureAbundance = 3,

Alarm = 4,

LockedHouses = 6,

FoodRotSpeed = 3,

FridgeFactor = 3,

Farming = 3,

ZombiesRespawn = 2,

LootRespawn = 2,

StarterKit = false,

TimeSinceApo = 1,

PlantResilience = 3,

PlantAbundance = 3,

EndRegen = 3,

ZombieLore = {

Speed = 2,

Strength = 2,

Toughness = 2,

Transmission = 3,

Mortality = 5,

Reanimate = 3,

Cognition = 3,

Memory = 2,

Decomp = 1,

Sight = 2,

Hearing = 2,

Smell = 2,

}

}

local DefaultSandboxVars = {}

for k,v in pairs(SandboxVars) do

DefaultSandboxVars[k] = v

end

function setDefaultSandboxVars()

for k,v in pairs(DefaultSandboxVars) do

SandboxVars[k] = v

end

end

Maybe I'm missing something I don't know... Everything else seems to be working fine, server is connectable from the outside, visible on public list, but I have this struggle for few days already. Anyone had luck with turning off Transmission/Zombification

I've installed the server by using: 

zomboid@myserv:/home/zomboid/new$ cat myinstaller.sh./steamcmd.sh +login viper_8809 +force_install_dir /home/zomboid/new/Zomboid_server \ "+app_update 108600 -beta onlinetest validate"\ +exit
Running up-to-date 31.13 version.

Bonus question:

Is there any way I can change the server naming convention for my instance with a custom text? I want to change all "servertest" to i.e. "mydomain_public" along with .db files changes. Basically allowing to have separate instances/configs for servers.

For windows you can add a line to the end of the .bat file -servername yournamehere    and that will name teh database, the servers.ini file and the world folder will be whatever you added to that bat file.  The Sandbox option at that point you have to manually rename to match the name.

I realize however....You may not be using windows

For windows you can add a line to the end of the .bat file -servername yournamehere

Thanks, I will try that! Yes, I'm using a debian machine for hosting it, so it might also work.

Did you change the setting after the server was already running some sort of other transmission setting?

No, I did this by saving the world, shutting down the server, modyfing lua file and starting server again.

For windows you can add a line to the end of the .bat file -servername yournamehere

Thanks, I will try that! Yes, I'm using a debian machine for hosting it, so it might also work.

Did you change the setting after the server was already running some sort of other transmission setting?

No, I did this by saving the world, shutting down the server, modyfing lua file and starting server again.

yeah youll need to set the setting FIRST then launch teh server for the first time.  Settings will stick and work. 

yeah youll need to set the setting FIRST then launch teh server for the first time.  Settings will stick and work. 

Now I am a bit confused. The C:\Users\Username\Zomboid\ directory that contains \server\ with the .LUA files for configuration didn't exist until I had already run the .BAT file to start the server. How can one set the settings before starting the server for the first time?

Now I am a bit confused. The C:\Users\Username\Zomboid\ directory that contains \server\ with the .LUA files for configuration didn't exist until I had already run the .BAT file to start the server. How can one set the settings before starting the server for the first time?

Go inside the steam folder that contains the game, steam/steamapps/common/projectzomboid/ and you will find a file in there you need to run first that sets up the sandbox variables, i forget the name but its inside the project zomboid folder in steam or whereever you have the game installed.

Go inside the steam folder that contains the game, steam/steamapps/common/projectzomboid/ and you will find a file in there you need to run first that sets up the sandbox variables, i forget the name but its inside the project zomboid folder in steam or whereever you have the game installed.

Are you referring to the file ProjectZomboidServer.bat, the file that configures the server and ultimately is used to start it? Or is there a separate file? I'm really scratching my head here because I read several FAQs and posts on how to start a server and I never saw mention of another file. I also don't really see another file that seems to be close.

Unless you are referring to PZServerSettings.exe, but that file generates a LUA file that appears to be out of date with the current LUA file format and the server won't launch if you use that, in my experience.

pzserversettings is the correct way to set your server up, HOWEVER whatever you find that is the same in the ini file as teh pzserversettings setup the ini file will be the one to determine the setting for that particular thing.  Zombie respawn is one of them, the ini file takes over for that particular setting.

everything else is good to go and affects the server accordingly.  You must have those settings set BEFORE the server is launched EVER.  Those needs to be in place, then you start the server, you allow it to create the databse and create the admin account, stop the server after you create the admin account, at that point it has now created the .ini file for the server, adjust those settings in the servertest.ini file and you will be good to go.  I assure you

youll need to set the setting FIRST then launch teh server for the first time

That's what I did, I thought I made it clear, sorry.

No, not for the first time. I ran it already and had to kill the process in order to make edits to the file, then I rerun it again.

either way the way i have listen is the proper way to set up your server and all its settings, it must be on a fresh world if you are tweaking any thing with sandbox variables in it.  Anything in the .ini can be changed on teh fly with the restart of the server.