Disinfectant property of cologne

KorwellTheFirst

Some time ago i came across with neccesity of new kind of desinfectant. Offering to add desinfectant property to cologne. The bottle of cologne should contain desinfectant liquid enough for 2-3 use. 
It should be dropped from zombies corpses as usual. Ofcorse it should be possible to craft an Alcohol Cotton BallsAlcohol Wipes, Sterilized BandageSterilized Rag.
Some more reality into the game.

Vinegar and bleach should be made to be a disinfectant as well... because it can be. Vinegar and bleach may not be as effective as alcohol, also bleach (base) and vinegar (acid) can agitate the skin... but if you have nothing else it should be usable I say. If you don't have what is most ideal its better to use what is less than ideal than die of an infection?

Vinegar and bleach should be made to be a disinfectant as well... because it can be. Vinegar and bleach may not be as effective as alcohol, also bleach (base) and vinegar (acid) can agitate the skin... but if you have nothing else it should be usable I say. If you don't have what is most ideal its better to use what is less than ideal than die of an infection?

Chlorine gas. No.

Some time ago i came across with neccesity of new kind of desinfectant. Offering to add desinfectant property to cologne. The bottle of cologne should contain desinfectant liquid enough for 2-3 use.

It should be dropped from zombies corpses as usual. Ofcorse it should be possible to craft an Alcohol Cotton Balls

Alcohol Wipes,

Sterilized Bandage, Sterilized Rag.

It is the wrong kind of alcohol, not to mention the additives present. Wound treatment is meant to minimize damage to healthy tissue, not kill it.

It is the wrong kind of alcohol, not to mention the additives present. Wound treatment is meant to minimize damage to healthy tissue, not kill it.

Cologne is Eau de vie  + different plants and spice . Nothing better than this to disinfect - otherwise you should remove this property to the whiskey too ;)

Cologne is Eau de vie  + different plants and spice . Nothing better than this to disinfect - otherwise you should remove this property to the whiskey too ;)

Whiskey is the right kind of alcohol . . .

Chlorine gas. No.

I believe your thinking of chlorine and ammonia instead of vinegar and chlorine.

It should be dropped from zombies corpses as usual. Ofcorse it should be possible to craft an Alcohol Cotton Balls

Alcohol Wipes,

And some colognes actually can disinfect but most are very high class and rare to find these kinds.

Alcohol Wipes,

You know, stoping a spread of infection is much more important than worring about health of endangered tissue, cuz It's the apocalypse.

I believe your thinking of chlorine and ammonia instead of vinegar and chlorine.

I may well be. The Internet isn't exactly being exact about this. On one hand, the wikipedia article indicates it might actually cause chlorine bleach to break down into the same chemical it does to purify water, on the other hand many sites are claiming it still releases chlorine.

Sigh. This is what I get for neglecting chemistry in college.

Alcohol Wipes,

You know, stoping a spread of infection is much more important than worring about health of endangered tissue, cuz It's the apocalypse.
Think that through. What encourages infection?

I may well be. The Internet isn't exactly being exact about this. On one hand, the wikipedia article indicates it might actually cause chlorine bleach to break down into the same chemical it does to purify water, on the other hand many sites are claiming it still releases chlorine.

Alcohol Wipes,

Okay. But does it stop the spread of infection? 

In my oppinion, if you have no other alternatives, you should use cologne. 

Drinking the wrong kind of alcohol is bad for you, other than that, it kills stuff, better than nothing really, and if bandaged properly afterwards the risk of infection would go down.

And hell, those "world filler" items might as well have some use. Even if it's semi-realistic.

I've disinfected some wounds with Vodka, not a very pleasant experience but it's better than nothing, I also disinfected with cologne once (I was a kid, I cut my finger with a knife when making a sandwich), it hurt like hell but it's not exactly acid and the wound healed properly afterwards.

Chlorine gas. No.

If there is chlorine gas in the game... yes it is better to avoid it as it would be quite toxic and dangerous... even deadly if inhaled.

Bleach irritates the skin (most people may experience a drying sensation from chlorine such as in pools or after using it to wash clothes) and in more intensive contact can damage the skin. Bleach is not recommendable for wound care as a result... if it is it should be rinsed out with clean water as to minimize contact.

Accidental bleach contact from washing clothes through the smell and/or skin contact is one of the most common "Poison Control" question/concern... for most people rinsing thoroughly the affected area and moving to fresher air is more than enough with the advise avoid contact or keep from inhaling it as it might indicate a particular sensitivity... but likely they were not in too much danger anyways.

Vinegar doesn't clean well enough but has been used for thousands of years, mostly ineffectually, to treat infections in and out of the body. Before the advent of antibiotics persons with infections shouldn't be too surprised to be treated with alcohol and vinegar. Though less likely alcohol as too much alcohol can be quite intoxicating and obviously dangerous.

Vinegar compared to alcohol though... alcohol just works a lot better on killing more infections while not causing much irritation or damage to the skin. There really is not much difference between medical alcohol and alcohol for drinks except that one has been made quite nauseating and dangerous to drink (this is hypothetically to keep people from drinking what is supposed to be set aside for medical purposes)... but if the percentage is high enough a bottle of spirits could be just as effective.

Regarding water purification, YES bleach can be used to purify water, however it doesn't clean it.

http://water.epa.gov/drink/emerprep/emergencydisinfection.cfm

http://www.doh.wa.gov/Emergencies/EmergencyPreparednessandResponse/Factsheets/WaterPurification

Notice that for 2 liter it advises 2 drops... It is potent stuff.

But bleach typically IS chlorine so yeah... releasing or IS... maybe there is a point of chemistry or grammar there that is flying over my head but I would accept either as true enough... chlorine is typically found in most tap water for the same reason. Chlorine (base) is also used in pools to purify the water there along with soda ash (acid).

Drinking the wrong kind of alcohol is bad for you, other than that, it kills stuff, better than nothing really, and if bandaged properly afterwards the risk of infection would go down.

And hell, those "world filler" items might as well have some use. Even if it's semi-realistic.

I've disinfected some wounds with Vodka, not a very pleasant experience but it's better than nothing, I also disinfected with cologne once (I was a kid, I cut my finger with a knife when making a sandwich), it hurt like hell but it's not exactly acid and the wound healed properly afterwards.

Vodka could be used to disinfect though some would say the vodka has a higher calling than disinfecting a wound...

I don't want to steal the spotlight though.... I was hopeful that cologne was a product I was unfamiliar with or that I somehow missed in the game. http://pzwiki.net/wiki/Upcoming_Features/ja

Apparently it is an upcoming feature from what I can read of the Japanese... actually no I just looked at the pictures... i am unfamiliar with the claim of cologne as a disinfectant or cleanser. Some colognes contain a varying amount of alcohol (this is so it will evaporate faster, thus for that cologne affect) but I doubt any of them are high enough to be useful for wound care.

Isn't cologne toxic for your flesh?

Judging by the olfactory aggravation Old Spice causes in such concentrations as typically sported by males over the age of forty, it wouldn't surprise me if other membranous organs were similarly affected.

Alcohol Wipes,

There's no reason why the use of sterilising agents not designed for medicinal purposes couldn't incur a short-term health penalty, or even poison the player outright if administered carelessly. In fact, I'd suggest that synthesising medical supplies from potentially hazardous household items would be a natural boon to higher-level First Aid practitioners, much as top-tier Cooks can now safely utilise 'rotten' ingredients for their soups and stews.

Using chlorine bleach as a disinfectant is a bad, BAD idea even if nothing else is available. Diluted.....it's possible but is still not advisable unless it's an absolute last resort, chlorine bleach will kill just about any living thing known to man including viruses and bacteria, it's just plain deadly stuff. There's a reason drinking it will kill you.

Think of it this way. What happens when you expose your skin to concentrated bleach? Keep in mind that the first couple layers of skin are basically dead tissue. Now imagine the soft tissue underneath the surface of your skin being exposed directly, as would happen if you tried using it as a wound disinfectant on anything larger than a simple scratch. Yeah. Bad idea.

Using chlorine bleach as a disinfectant is a bad, BAD idea even if nothing else is available. Diluted.....it's possible but is still not advisable unless it's an absolute last resort, chlorine bleach will kill just about any living thing known to man including viruses and bacteria, it's just plain deadly stuff. There's a reason drinking it will kill you.

Think of it this way. What happens when you expose your skin to concentrated bleach? Keep in mind that the first couple layers of skin are basically dead tissue. Now imagine the soft tissue underneath the surface of your skin being exposed directly, as would happen if you tried using it as a wound disinfectant on anything larger than a simple scratch. Yeah. Bad idea.

Viruses are not technically alive, they are inert. Also bleach doesn't kill everything, it doesn't do as well of a job disinfecting as say alcohol does. Bleach can cause irritation when applied as a fluid to the skin, mostly because it dehydrates, long-term exposure may cause complications... such as chemical burns.

As a hiker I have used this and I can attest at least to personal experience it can and does work well enough... however keeping contact as minimal as possible with bleach is preferable as it does cause agitation and the smell is a bit disorienting.

Though diluting it is perferable... There are products on the market now for wound care that does just this.

Bleach if drank is very corrosive and will eventually lead to death, moreover if not treated, though the game's mechanic of causing death nearly instantly is a bit unrealistic. Though a person would feel more than profound affects of drinking bleach almost immediately... it might be the worst experience they could possibly go through in life...

So why such a bad decision is in the game is a bit perplexing to me... but why you can't use it to treat wounds...

Though lately I have noticed a superabundance of alcohol ingame so I suppose it isn't really all that relevant.

First time I heard of it was a year ago, but there's Dakin's solution, which is made from bleach: http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-62261/dakin's-misc/details

You'll notice it's made from an immensely small amount . . . though more than you'd likely use to disinfect water: http://www.virginia.edu/uvaprint/HSC/pdf/09024.pdf