Filling water bottles during rain

Lucas

If you want to survive after few months without high carpentry skill, you have to make a base close to a river or close to a well. I think it could be good idea to allow filling bottles during rain.

Maybe it should be based on getWetness (it's like from Umbrella mod).

local getwetness = player:getBodyDamage():getWetness();

When player keep in one or both hands bottles then these bottles should be filling with water, slowly. Obtaining water from the rain involves the risk of getting wet. So it's up to you how long you will stay outside while raining. In script it should be a timer or something that could start filling bottle not immediately when player gets outside during rain, just after few seconds to avoid situation when someone quickly coming in and out of a house. It should be added random factor - not every time you can catch the same amount of water. Also based on luck perk - slightly better chance to catch water into bottle.

The moment that triggers script should be the moment when in one of the hands player has equipped bottle. Function for player:getSecondaryHandItem() and player:getPrimaryHandItem() separate.

I thought to write such mod by myself, but I have no idea how to fill equipped bottle in script. If someone could give me some advice then maybe I could try to make something.

Catching water just with a bottle in your hand seems to be a little bit off, since if you try to do this your barly catch any. More plausible with pots or buckets. If you wanna have it with bottles you might need a Funnel to have more area to collect. The part with getting wet is good so far since you really do :) but you barly get sick anyway from being wet in game.

• 8 months later...

Why not make it so players can craft rain barrels using things like trashcans, metal barrels, or even 4 or so pots together?

Just make it so the 'makeshift rain barrel' requires zero carpentry and then non carpenter players will be able to survive so long as they have pre-made containers.