Official Build 32 Zombie Population Feedback Thread

Batsphinx

Sandbox, One hour days, starting kit.

First time I lived for about 14 days doing all the normal starting loot runs in Mulgragh until I got a bunch of 12 gauge ammo and stated shooting up the zeds.  Wow, the zeds launched a massive response as zeds poured in from all around.  No way I could kill them fast enough, so for several days this huge horde roamed the neighborhood smashing up houses and making a menace of itself, which is awesome because I could see where they had been by all the broken windows and smashed in doors.  Once horded up into the several hundreds, it just becomes an avoidance game.  Died to an ankle biter.

Next build made it a couple of months looting all warehouses and teh police stations in Muldragh and West Point of ammo and guns, then went on shooting spree with my cop build.  Racked up about 1800 zeds in a few frantic days.  I would keep my kill box small in a effort to limit somewhat the number of zeds attracted to the gunfire, but there did not seem to be a limit to how many would show up. Another massive horde that I just winnowed down with a shotgun.  Got bit while clearing a shelf in a store.  Using the guns, kiting the hordes to other parts of the map is not at all difficult.

Third build I went with low zombie population and it seemed like old times.  There were still plenty of zeds in areas, but no massive hordes in this game.  Gunfire still meant lots of zeds constantly streaming in, but in lower numbers.

I would not start shooting until/unless you have a ton of ammo, or other ways of dealing with the resultant hordes.  I love the higher mortality and danger, but it seems like there must be an ultimate ceiling on teh number of zombies packing into this small town.  I will go back to normal zombie population, and adjust my game play.  Love the changes so far, but some tweaks are still needed on zed concentration and migration.  

Hypothetically, all the zombies in the U.S. (assuming widespread exposure) would soon form one massive hoard made up of hundreds of millions of zombies just stomping about.

After 1 and a half months in survival mode I had the following zombie population in the areas I was able to explore so far:

post-14535-0-95193500-1433262189_thumb.p

green area: very low zombie density, most likely single zombies and rarely groups up to 5 zombies

orange area: medium zombie density, frequently groups of 10-20 zombies, rarely also some larger groups of zombies

red area: very high zombie density with hordes up to about 100 zombies as you can see in the pictures below

post-14535-0-50377000-1433262341_thumb.j post-14535-0-32370400-1433262439_thumb.j

I love it, but I have an issue when spawning in saves that you died in, because this happens.

Standard survival, I spawned in on a save I died in and died instantly because I spawned in a house with a group of zeds already biting me, could that be a bug? It's rather unfair, it'd be nice to have the game check to see if there is zombies in the spawn point and then remove them so you don't die like this. 14 minutes and I had been scratched once, and scratched again having to climb through a window with broken glass (didn't have time to remove it). Then I got chased and inevitably died withing the first day, I'd really be happy if you guys were able to do something about dying like this, otherwise it's really good. Will I report it in the tracker?

Also, idle hordes look a tad messy too, as you can see above.

Some pictures from my death: post-881-0-14099800-1433264772_thumb.jpg

post-881-0-24138800-1433264809_thumb.jpg

I love it, but I have an issue when spawning in saves that you died in, because this happens.

Standard survival, I spawned in on a save I died in and died instantly because I spawned in a house with a group of zeds already biting me, could that be a bug? It's rather unfair, it'd be nice to have the game check to see if there is zombies in the spawn point and then remove them so you don't die like this. 14 minutes and I had been scratched once, and scratched again having to climb through a window with broken glass (didn't have time to remove it). Then I got chased and inevitably died withing the first day, I'd really be happy if you guys were able to do something about dying like this, otherwise it's really good. Will I report it in the tracker?

Also, idle hordes look a tad messy too, as you can see above.

Some pictures from my death: attachicon.gif2015-06-02_00001.jpg

attachicon.gif2015-06-02_00002.jpg

imo you shouldn't be able at all to respawn in a game where you died, that if you're playing single player, it ruins the effort of making a single life valuable.

i agree with the opinion, zombies completely abandon some areas, it may work with the game moving zombies offscreen in a overpopulated area, to an empty one, with some kind of autobalance, maybe

I have managed to survive 3 months in '8 months after...' killing just over 1000 zeds.

What happened to me was I broke my leg accidently and spent an entire month on my couch healing (slow healing perk). I had a massive defensive log wall built around the southern warehouse in Muldraugh where I was. During that month the game generated so many meta sounds it drew 1000s of zombies to my base. Zombies demolished parts of my log wall defenses, infested my inner yard and broke my window and door barricades.

My leg was still broken when that happened so I had no chances fighting them and decided to stay quiet on my 1st floor. I was lucky enough that my leg healed after that month but was killed shortly after in an attempt of leading the hordes away with gunshots. I got overwhelmed and nom'd. Best game I've ever had.

Thoughts:

- pressing 'e' on skybridges secured with low fences is a bad idea, I just wanted to close a door behind me but my character decided to jump (I suggest right-clicking)

- building a massive base it rather pointless - meta sounds are able to draw massive numbers of zeds your way; they will then tear your walls down unless you kill them all or lure them away

- best places for a base you want to spend a lot of time in at the moment are: 

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.3924255918146906,0.2271374439067563,79.49684720339079

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.40849128398235107,0.21784901877549906,79.49684720339079

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.6624857215330295,0.17713614944965714,95.39621664406896

reason: they are surrounded by a see-through fence where you can see and kill zombies from behind it and the best part is zeds can't target non-player built stuff with exclusion of doors and windows.

Offtopic:

It would be nice to have a graphical representation of walls and barricades health and means to repair them.

EDIT:

Add this to nice base locations:

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.4950027933153612,0.2294319005220755,132.49474533898467

Zombie population, in my opinion, is very good to just slightly too low in town, and way too low / absent in some great area of the map (I'm looking at you cabin at the lake - my favorite safehouse location).

I would keep the current zombie numbers in the urban area but increase their spread a bit more to always leave at least some 1 or 2 zombies in a lot of spot so that you have to be careful taking them out not to attract the mega hordes.

I would also do the following (if it is not happening already):

Increase zombie max population count once time passes to reach insane at month 8 (to stick with the 8+ month after the zombie apocalypse).

After 12 months I would start a countdown of the clock.    Every few days (random say .5 to 5 days, or shorter cycle) increasing waves of zombie, using the last stand mechanics or similar, would attack you at your location (zombie would zoom in on you a bit like they do in Opening Hours at some specific interval).

Zombies in large number should also be able to demolish walls (say 10 or so+ for regular house, 30-40+ for log wall) to allow zombies to break through player build walls, furthermore if all the walls supporting floors disappear everything above should disappear and maybe create a rubble pile.

The waves numbers could have a multiplier based on the location (downtown, suburb, farmlands, woodlands) but it would be nice knowing that a wave will eventually come to your house in the woods and you have to get ready for it.

The above would ensure that at one point, the "this is how you die" remains true and it's not because of old age...

Of course I'm not at 12+ month yet so I'll get back to you to confirm it's not in game already  ;)

Above is for Survival.

I suggest capping the experience gained for sneaking to maybe the first 10 zombies in range.

Wandering around a horde with a stealth toon rips through levels superfast.

Playing Survival, mainly as a recluse at the cabin in the woods with a well. So far I have lived there up to early December.  Slip to town from time to time to collect tools and scars.  Never saw a zed within two hours hiking distance. 

I think the current banding is great, I find sporadic lone zombies as I hit the outskirts, then frequent clumps, then... well, you know the rest. 

Love the roving hordes trashing the place, and how you can herd them with boomsticks. Well, toward you anyway.  

Not so fond of the eternally burning dead.

Engineering recipes should show up when you read the mag. Yes, I know how to find the .txt file but others may not and it kind of breaks immersion. 

Wandering off topic here, must sleep...

Survival mode.

I was living a happy month until 32.4 came out. So I chose the northwest corner house of West Point suburbs, the one that's near a boathouse and a picnic area. I was grinding the spearfishing (you don't even have to cook fish to eat it! I guess needs to be fixed, haven't seen fixing suggestions in suggestions thread.) Today, as 32.4 came out, I entered the game for a short time of spearfishing, after I slept throuh the night, as I exit the house, whistling a fine tune wih spear over my shoulder - IT'S AROUND THIRTY OF THEM IN HE BACKYARD!!!!!1111 So I decide to lure the mofos deep in the woods, as I return, there are more. Trying to take out several attracts more of zeds from surrounding areas and there's almost a constant flow of large packs... Maybe I was just unlucky and they decided to migrate in that very area, but I have Sneak 3, so I can't be making lots of noise. As of now, I escaped to a different house and am very scared to play again :P Maybe it's a bit too much? I assume the territory I am in might have been changed to high spawn zone or something... Gonna try migrating to the house by he lake day after tomorrow, and see if they spawn that much there...

Edit: I've thrown out all of my guns because they seem to multiply the horde around you by 200 )))) Gotta check out that crossbow mod. Also, I don't seem to survive more than a week wihout having crates by windows and doors or having sneaking skill... But it's alright, I guess when NPC's are in, the other classes would have a chance. Besides, "this is how you died" )))

Edit^2: I also have graceful and inconspicuous

1st Character: Started in West Point and managed to barricade a house near the bridge to the Mall. As i ran out of supplies (West Point was already pretty much looted and i missed some important tools), i decided to go for the Mall. The First Bridge out of West Point in that Direction was no problem but when i approached the Little River Bridges, it was pure Chaos. I tried to cross the river (the 3 Small Bridges) but there were so many zombies on the other side of the river, that i couldnt. Shooting and shouting didnt work they seem to be stuck somehow.

So I had to run all the way up to the shooting range instead. When i finally reached the Mall i was able to sneak in pretty easy (the Parking Lot was empty the first time). Inside it seemed pretty quiet too, until i checked the first shop. Zombies were invisible at first, but suddenly every shop i came by were having like 20-30 Zeds inside and soon i realised i was swarmed. I somehow managed to escape the Mall (no food no water at this point) and spent the night in the Zippie Market. On the next Day I gave up on my Plan and tried to make my way back to my Safehouse.

The River Bridges werent such a Problem from this Side, as the Zombies there were reacting to my distraction tries this time.

Back in my Safe House i went to bed for another Night until i woke up swarmed by the massive horde from West Point to get eaten alive :(

Settings:

8 Months into Apocalypse

50% Respawn for Zombies per Day

Insane

Better Hearing on Zeds.

Suggestions:

- Make Zombies move through Riverwater superslowly, so the Meta Events work on this Part of the Map too. Else they all get stuck at the water

- Better Hearing on Zeds needs some tweaking with the New Horde System as they get Distracted too much. Sometimes a horde loses agro and runs away while you are right in front of them. There is no sound of a meta event there too.

Playing on "normal" zombies, I've found the spread and amount to be a pretty excellent balance. They don't clump as badly, it seems, as in previous builds (there's no magnets), and there's a good amount of "small clumps" (AKA gangs - mostly the crypts hurhur) roaming around too. House infestations remain nicely mixed as well. I've found the amounts of zombies manageable in built up areas, while still being a bit of a challenge to get past or maneuver away from a target store; in fringe areas, clearing all the zombies is easy.

That's the one problem: I can still set up in a fringe area (think the neighborhood SW of Cortman) and be pretty much totally safe after initial cleansing (with default 1day/10% respawn on). It would be nice to see hordes migrate occasionally around these more fringe areas, or have their "zombie pop" values tweaked much higher. I should really only feel safe in the boonies, hunting cabins, etc, not in a subdivision.

I would also say 1day/10% shouldn't be the default. Maybe 1day/25%. It seems too slow, just 'realistically' speaking, and in terms of gameplay.

UPDATE!  Day 28:  Sandbox 30% respawn once per week, West Point.

Massive respawn?  My house is overrun.  Zombies have streamed north into the green space between my house and the river.  They are everywhere.  I have killed only 260 zombies but it feels like it is back to day 1 all the sudden, maybe worse than day 1.  The spacing in the grasslands/woods is what I would expect but zombies keep coming to my safehouse.  There are several large groups within a one block distance.  Zombies are bashing my barricades.  I wish I would have walled in the area.  It is going to be a ton of work to get my house back.  This fourth respawn is like none of the previous respawns.  Almost all my food and supplies are in the house. My hammer broke.  I have been thinking about creating a second house with plenty of supplies but have not yet done so. 

I love the zombie system now. I was impressed when I played survival, after many have seems it to easy. Yea the grouping mechanic needs a few tweaks but alps good I think. Last game I played I fired a shotgun, wow what a major difference indeed holy shit! But. I like it cuz my whole opionon on sound in this game is simple. If your the only one making noise in a world that's finally noise free from humans. Then any gun shot would indeed be heard from miles away. So all the zombies comming to you in this build for fire in a weapon is realistic.

Hello, here is a few minor things I have to report:

First, It is insanely difficult to start up a game because the character always spawns insanely besieged or encircled and without any weapons within his spawn house. I went through 5 re-spawns because of this dying within the first hours or first day (and on thew last build I had an average of 2-3 months per character if i didn't kill myself falling from buildings XD) 

examples of weapons I have found within my spawn houses: pen, pencil, butter knives, forks, spoons, (rare) 1 plank), rare (1 hammer), (also rare) rolling pin...

At least I managed on my last character to survive somehow with my spawn weapon (pen---and rolling pin) (now 20+ days besieged and completely encircled, hauled up with one plank barricading my door on the second floor of the food store in front of Thunder Gas station (accross from genesis hair) in west point.)

I am not complaining thought because FINALLY this game has become REAL. :P Just like DawnOFTheDead or WorldWarZ.

here are bugs I have encountered and crashes:

1st Trowing an alarm clock out the second story window and it getting stuck between outside of window ande mid air. (going off and me being swarmed in the bedroom second floor dead btw)

2nd (I was stuck super overwhelmed on the fourth floor of business building east of Police Dept West Point on Survival) 
I had one option burn the mtfers four floors below: I threw from a balcony a Molotov: it got stuck in midair and the game froze and completely crashed... I reenter the game and not one Zed at all around the building. Moments before there was at least 200+...

3rd bug (or not) I think the Lucky Perk doesn't work lol! I keep using it and die so unluckily and I am average good at this game :P Like the weapons in spawn house and zeds surrounding your spawn house trying to break in lol!

4th maybe not a bug but I threw a Molotov 7 IG days ago and each time i return to that area the fire still rages on from house to house.

Here are some pictures that refer to my last post (2nd Page)::

food_market.jpg

Oh yeah lets just go raid the local food market: ((Sees army)) OMFG ! ((RUNS back to base))

7_In_Game_Days_Later_still_burns.jpg

molotov_lethality.jpg

A few IG days later after molotoving insane horde.

they_never_leave.jpg

(Love this one: The Zeds have become militarized ((upper Left) XD )

molotov_aftermath.jpg

A few IG days later after trowing a molotov into insane horde)

PS: that character died the next day entering a shed :P... (four zeds inside and then others entenred behind him) XD

Survival mode.

I was living a happy month until 32.4 came out. So I chose the northwest corner house of West Point suburbs, the one that's near a boathouse and a picnic area. I was grinding the spearfishing (you don't even have to cook fish to eat it! I guess needs to be fixed, haven't seen fixing suggestions in suggestions thread.) Today, as 32.4 came out, I entered the game for a short time of spearfishing, after I slept throuh the night, as I exit the house, whistling a fine tune wih spear over my shoulder - IT'S AROUND THIRTY OF THEM IN HE BACKYARD!!!!!1111 So I decide to lure the mofos deep in the woods, as I return, there are more. Trying to take out several attracts more of zeds from surrounding areas and there's almost a constant flow of large packs... Maybe I was just unlucky and they decided to migrate in that very area, but I have Sneak 3, so I can't be making lots of noise. As of now, I escaped to a different house and am very scared to play again :P Maybe it's a bit too much? I assume the territory I am in might have been changed to high spawn zone or something... Gonna try migrating to the house by he lake day after tomorrow, and see if they spawn that much there...

Edit: I've thrown out all of my guns because they seem to multiply the horde around you by 200 )))) Gotta check out that crossbow mod. Also, I don't seem to survive more than a week wihout having crates by windows and doors or having sneaking skill... But it's alright, I guess when NPC's are in, the other classes would have a chance. Besides, "this is how you died" )))

Edit^2: I also have graceful and inconspicuous

Update: migration successful, who knew that house by the lake would have alarm XD anyways, not even a single zed appeared after the alarm, nor are in he surrounding areas. As of now, trying to find a hacksaw by looting some garages... Impossible to find!

Build 32.4 released

-snip-

Two changes were made to the zombie population stuff.  The first change is that zombies will wander to empty areas of the cell they're in once an hour.  This has the effect of spreading zombies out throughout the cell they're in after they get grouped up by sounds.

-snip-

I've done some tests with luring zombies away with gunshots and I've found that that change to zombie behaviour had made the luring-away tactic quite obsolete. Zombies simply come back after a while. This was not an issue (or to a much smaller scale) before 32.4 update.

I think some time ago Lemmy said that luring away would be a go-for strategy for clearing an area. Not anymore it would seem :'(

I've played and tested the zombie numbers in build 32.4 Yesterday, and I want to address a few issues :

1) Quoting EasyPickins :

"...I was using 1 hour to limit the distance zombies travelled to avoid depopulating areas.  They didn't travel as far on 15-minute days (and would go farther on longer days).  I changed it so they stop moving after a certain distance instead of tracking walk-time."

I don't think there is anything wrong with depopulation of the areas, because the other areas are getting over-populated. As long as the game retains the meta-events moving zombies back and forth, while zombie respawning system brings the zombie numbers back to normal, they should not be as limited to where they go.

Why am I complaining about this? Well, during my testing of the zombie movement I've sat inside the house on the second floor, and observed the way zombies move about. When the gunshot was fired, I thought they were going to swarm the place I am in, but surprisingly, this time a lot fewer numbers came to investigate the shot, which completely drives the feeling of fear and fright away from seeing hordes upon hordes plowing through your neighborhood. They should continue overpopulating and depopulating certain areas. As long as that mega-horde keeps being moved around by meta-noises, there will be moments where you're looting nearby a huge horde and that single house alarm brings thousands upon thousands towards you. 

Currently, the only really threatening force that I've witnessed forming all over the surrounding cells were the passing helicopters, They made absolutely every cell around me overpopulated (1690 / 800 kind of overpopulated). But since helicopters only show up 1 day during whole playthrough, and gunshots aren't sending them moving far away anymore, the threat becomes real only if you attempt to loot in that area.

2) Zombies still don't react to certain meta-game noises.

Whenever someone dies and screams their lungs out, or dog barks in the distance, zombies absolutely don't visibly react to it. I think, although in a much smaller area, zombies still should be moved around by them, so background screams don't seem there for "the atmosphere" but look as if they're actually there, and you don't see them.

3) Breaking of glass, breaking of doors, zombies thumping on anything - should create a bigger noise and attract everyone from the loaded area. The way it currently is, the zombies have to be standing like 5 feet away from the house to hear anything, and that certainly doesn't help with figuring what zombies chase after and what they don't. 

Setting : Sandbox - low Zed pop., 30min day, 10% respawn /1 week rest normal settings.

Zeds seem to respawn everyday and group up.

mostly i discoverd groups of 6-10 wandering around and pile up in certain points all over the map.

had this going on in both towns so far and with more days go by groups slowly grow bigger. once pulled and lured to some other place, groups of 40-100 appear. Also there is no free zone of zeds anywhere.

Q: Does player build stuff affect the spawn of new zed near by atm or does it do anything to keep them away for a while?

I'm playing in the Sandbox with similar settings (30 min/day, low zombie population, urban focussed, 30% regen/weekly) and I've noticed that it looks as if the zombies are respawning in circles. Over the course of the first week I took out quite a few zombies, most of which were moderately dispersed (I think the largest group I found all within easy reach of each other was 5) but when the respawn kicked in, I discovered that one of the respawn points was next to one of my (moderately) safe houses. A group of what I think was nine or ten zombies appeared in the open grass between the house I'd fortified and the next house over, about seven tiles from the wall of the house I was intersted in. They stood in a circle til just after 8am, then started slowly moving around - one group of four started staggering off west to investigate a barbeque, while the remainder started hugging some nearby trees to the north. I spent a few hours of game time luring them away in ones and twos so I could kill them, but based on where they'd appeared, if I'd climbed out of that safehouse window in the morning, I'd have appeared on top of them. It was... interesting.

Where the sandbox is set to low population, the respawn does seem to create clusters of zombies. It makes for a swift change in playing, because even though I'm paranoid and creep around a lot, the zombies in the first week of each game I've tried have tended to be fairly dispersed, but as soon as the respawn hits, groups become the norm.

This morning I decided to switch to sandbox mode with low zeds because of theses following factors:::

1: one month into game and over five hundred zeds surrounding my base.

2: they glitch through the floor I built over the stairs and obliterated my four planked barricaded door under an hour and my second barricaded door also. I had to rush out with as much stuff as fast as possible and play tag trough the streets all the way to the other end of the city to finally find a semi safehouse.

3: there is almost fifty percent more zeds then when I began the game in west point survival.

4: every street literally has three or more 50+count hordes.

5: fire one shot and ten ultra hordes will be there within two minutes. (that's faster then IRL first responders arrive to the scene.)

6:the basterds love spreading Molotov fires to every dam building they see (pharmacies is gone, laundromat, garage, and town hall almost gone. Fires rage for days.)

7:nearly impossible to lure hordes away from places you wish to loot because they are super psychic to where you go.

8: because I tried shooting down a street to get the basterds away from my base and ended up swarmed under two minutes by all sides from four ultra hordes Xd. "not going easily into this dark night..." dead R.I.P lasted one month one week on survival Wp.

:) other then that the game is realistic thought especially the week long fires. Feels good to watch the pharmacies burn when you have a deep wound and have to rush in and attempt to get a suture needle with flames everywhere and a zed swarm on your arse xD

Ok , here is my feedback after some more SP (survival) and MP games. 90% of played time is in WP.

Zombie horde size are ok (32.4), its cool that they move.

Overall number of zeds from start might be too high. It makes start a bit random, if you find some good weapon its ok but when you have to leave your starting house with a pen or fork its like death sentence.

I dont like respawn time and number. When you leave your house they respawn works for that cell and all surrounding ones so when you get back 1 meta game makes that area swarmed again.  You can try to keep away from town, normadic game style etc but if you want to build a base and get end game content its so hard. If we get NPC`s one day it will be fine as some of them can be on clearing duty but for single person its like 50% fighting zed and 1 mistake will be end of your base.

For MP (public servers) its same story. After that build ive seen less player build bases. With the current respawn time you have to have some players that just keep the area clear when other go for loot runs etc. its ok when you have group but solo play on MP server just force you to group up if you want  to survive (its not that bad but some players might just want to play solo). The problem is when you log out during that one day (real time) all the surrounding areas will repopulate so when you log on again your base is gone or surrounded with a lot of zeds.

In general numbers are but too high at start (base zed number and repopulate time). The current numbers would be ok for like 1 month into game.

I know that ther is a sandbox but survival is "normal mode" not "hardcore one" and for a normal mode its a bit too hard.

Overall number of zeds from start might me too hard. It makes start a bit random, if you find some good weapon its ok but when you have to leave your starting house with a pen or fork its like death sentence.

I agree.  Common items like kitchen knives, hammers, and frying pans should be common.  Given time to look, how many people would have nothing better than a butter knife to use for a weapon in their entire house?  I have guns, hammers, crowbars, kitchen knives, frying pans, a hatchet at home.  All would be better than a pen or spoon. 

Instead of making every house have a hammer or frying pan I would be in favor of everyone starting the game with some basic weapon. 

I'm finding survival on this build frustrating ATM. I've played at least a dozen games in a row with survival times < 3 days on all of them. A lot of the time I find myself spawning in a 1 story house with no weapon or bag... without either of these items life becomes extremely difficult (and this is with the "lucky" trait, I still sometimes search a dozen houses before I even find a rolling pin). A lot of my runs have been centred around getting an axe, hammer and nails early so I can start making a house *somewhere* moderately safe but getting to the locations where these items are kept is extremely difficult with the current populations. I often end up sneak/running from house to house, trying to gather anything that's remotely of use and/or find a bed for the night. Generally I die on the morning of the second day because I couldn't make it to a house without alerting the half dozen or so zombies around it, couldn't clear them all with just a frying pan and so woke up to find the whole place infested. Reload, start again. Sleeping in a downstairs, unbarricaded room is practically a death sentence even if I didn't get followed and manage to curtain the windows - idle zombies seem to start windowlicking for no reason (not necessarily an issue in-as-of-itself) and I wake up surrounded (though weirdly only once i've finished sleeping - breaking windows don't wake me up, instead the zombies politely wait for me to finish my nap before they start chomping, and more than once I've managed to fight them off, which is a bit reality-breaking). 

My character build (chef with lucky, hypochondriac and weak stomach) may have something to do with this - my pure survival skills are low, but I want to build a character who can cook rotten food. 

If I spawn somewhere that isn't a house my survival prospects tend to be much better - spawning in the motel, for example, is a godsend as I'm near certain to find a baseball bat and a good bag before i have to leave, making survival an actual option. It just sucks when the only available strategy early game is sprinting from house to house, with zombies constantly following cos I can't outsneak them all, and knowing that even if i do safely get inside somewhere it will likely get marauded by wanderers just by virtue of that part of the cell being streamed. 

On which note: it's a little strange at present the way areas you're in/have been in will be totally ransacked whilst "new" areas are untouched. It makes it feel less like the city is full of deadheads and more like they're only around when I am (which, I guess, is true).

Anyway, enough whining. Keep up the good work. I've spent 75 hours on this game already and loved it despite the frustrations :)