Defense And Offense Suggestions

Spiff-Ivor

So, here are some of my ideas:

Car door shields and barricades - ruined cars can be found in the street and the doors/windows can be wrenched off. Maybe crafting the door with a belt would allow you to make a crude riot-shield-thing. Or just bang some nails through it and reinforce a door.

Bayonet - Can be found around in military areas, or crafted using duct tape and a knife on a hunting/varmit rifle. Would be really neat.

Piano wire - Do I need to explain this? Creep up on a zombie, wrap it around neck, twist, pull. Head off.

Throat slitting/Backstab - Essentially, when you creep up on a zombie with a knife, you can stab them at the base of the neck, temple, or just slit their throat to quickly kill them.

Takedowns - The ability to one-shot zeds from behind using weaponry. I.e: kick to the back of the knee, decap/skull crack. It'd be a nice feature so as to make stealth a better combat tactic.

Pillow suppressor - God sake. Take pillow. Put gun behind pillow. Pull trigger. Quieter gun.

That's all for now folks!

1. Barracades yes, shields, no. Car doors are heavy, yo.

2. See my post about duct taping knives to things in the spear thread. Real bayonets are extremely thick compared to other knives.

3. Necks are not made of cheese.

4. This is actually already in.

5. So is this, sort of. Attacking zombies from behind gives you a greater chance of knocking them down.

6. Yeah, no. That'll just put a hole through a pillow. If pillows worked so well, then why do real supressors even exist? Also, suppressors don't really make guns quiet, they hide the muzzle flash and supersonic crack.

2. See my post about duct taping knives to things in the spear thread. Real bayonets are extremely thick compared to other knives.

5. So is this, sort of. Attacking zombies from behind gives you a greater chance of knocking them down.

6. Yeah, no. That'll just put a hole through a pillow. If pillows worked so well, then why do real supressors even exist? Also, suppressors don't really make guns quiet, they hide the muzzle flash and supersonic crack.

To number 3: Decomposed Flesh has the same condition as cheese :P (smell is also identical)

Actually using a pillow will reduce the sound from a gun shot, by a good amount. Only problem is they reduce accuracy (No iron sights to use when a gun is wrapped) the bullet can start to tumble and lose velocity (It actually doesn't take as much as most people think) which reduces accuracy even more. And that is why real suppressors exist.

And on the note of suppressors, bottles. They would work better than a pillow, reduce accuracy less, but would be a one shot deal.

Basically you line up the barrel with bottle drink hole, tape i place, aim and fire. But accuracy is still kind of crap.

And about suppressors not making guns much quieter, this is sort of true. It doesn't stop the supersonic crack, it reduces the sound of the gasses coming out of the gun. See here:

[spoiler\]

(Mythbusters testing Silencers)

Seems to drop volume to about a third of unsuppressed. A z standing across the road will still hear it, but a Z standing a block away would have a hard time hearing you. So not silent, but quiet by comparison.

although a bottle and some newspaper will. suppressed for a good 3-4 shots at most but still.

now dont hate on me but i know this sorta works if you fill a bottle with dirt or sand (or a can or etc.) it has a quieter shot for a few shots.

also a silencer would be nice, people/zombies can hear it still, but its 100% easier to sneak around or just kill zombies without being heard as much, should be a rare tool though.

Actually using a pillow will reduce the sound from a gun shot, by a good amount. Only problem is they reduce accuracy (No iron sights to use when a gun is wrapped) the bullet can start to tumble and lose velocity (It actually doesn't take as much as most people think) which reduces accuracy even more. And that is why real suppressors exist.

And on the note of suppressors, bottles. They would work better than a pillow, reduce accuracy less, but would be a one shot deal.

Basically you line up the barrel with bottle drink hole, tape i place, aim and fire. But accuracy is still kind of crap.

And about suppressors not making guns much quieter, this is sort of true. It doesn't stop the supersonic crack, it reduces the sound of the gasses coming out of the gun. See here:

[spoiler\]

(Mythbusters testing Silencers)

Seems to drop volume to about a third of unsuppressed. A z standing across the road will still hear it, but a Z standing a block away would have a hard time hearing you. So not silent, but quiet by comparison.

I'd imagine the sound difference would be insignificant enough that it really wouldn't make a difference in the context of the game.

If you take the sound of a suppressed gun as being the loudness of a hammer on metal, which isn't quite painfully loud, I can hear construction work for at least two blocks with city traffic inbetween.

Removing noise from other living people doing things, that hammer becomes much, much more prominent, and easily audible to the extent of the game screen.

Location plays a lot into it, though. Even firing an unsupressed gun in the city, suburbs, or even just a forest, it'd be a bit hard to track down exactly where the shot came from with echoing and obstacles.

So, here are some of my ideas:

Car door shields and barricades - ruined cars can be found in the street and the doors/windows can be wrenched off. Maybe crafting the door with a belt would allow you to make a crude riot-shield-thing. Or just bang some nails through it and reinforce a door.

Bayonet - Can be found around in military areas, or crafted using duct tape and a knife on a hunting/varmit rifle. Would be really neat.

Piano wire - Do I need to explain this? Creep up on a zombie, wrap it around neck, twist, pull. Head off.

Throat slitting/Backstab - Essentially, when you creep up on a zombie with a knife, you can stab them at the base of the neck, temple, or just slit their throat to quickly kill them.

Takedowns - The ability to one-shot zeds from behind using weaponry. I.e: kick to the back of the knee, decap/skull crack. It'd be a nice feature so as to make stealth a better combat tactic.

Pillow suppressor - God sake. Take pillow. Put gun behind pillow. Pull trigger. Quieter gun.

That's all for now folks!

1. No as a shield.  to heavy

2. Sounds ok, but less durability

3. Head of ok, but that doesn´t kill a Zed. Head stays dangerus still

4. Stabbing is allrdy in and a throat slit wouldn´t kill a Zed since it doesn´t need to breath or the blood flow, for NPC later on ok, but would turn them.

5. A melee attack with a ranged weapon would be nice, but also wears a weapon down quick and could cause malfunction

6. Sounds good and there is a mod for if i remember right

Overall, nice thoughts even if often requested allrdy

Hmm Interesting reactions.

To counter some people:

1. You could keep it for only sturdy/strong people

2. It doesn't need to last forever, just to poke some stuff.

3. Actually, rotting flesh would be much, much easier to cut through then cheese. Mature cheese is HARD (coming from a guy who works at a deli counter)

4. By throat-slit, I more meant a partial decap. In some lore, you just need to take away the brain's connection to the body and the zombie will be basically useless.

5. I actually got this idea from contagion, and I think it could be implemented well. All it would need was a little animation, and it would reward stealth.

6. God.

Sake

People

Get over it. I said a makeshift suppressor/silencer.

Hmm Interesting reactions.

To counter some people:

1. You could keep it for only sturdy/strong people

2. It doesn't need to last forever, just to poke some stuff.

3. Actually, rotting flesh would be much, much easier to cut through then cheese. Mature cheese is HARD (coming from a guy who works at a deli counter)

4. By throat-slit, I more meant a partial decap. In some lore, you just need to take away the brain's connection to the body and the zombie will be basically useless.

5. I actually got this idea from contagion, and I think it could be implemented well. All it would need was a little animation, and it would reward stealth.

6. God.

Sake

People

Get over it. I said a makeshift suppressor/silencer.

ok the wire is almost useless since most zombies would noticed you before you could attack. Plus in this lore the brains need to be destroyed. and for the suppressor it can be made but not with a pillow but the general idea is good.

*Cough*

*Cough*

*COUGH*

You can't creep up on a zed? Do you play PZ when you're high?! (no offense intended)

I do it all the time.

Your point about the lore is fine. Ok, I didn't quite know what the specifics were.

Pillow suppressors. GAH! Why did I mention this? I meant any kind of one-shot-chuck silencer that could be made using random garbage.

surpressors are a no go for techical reasons im pretty sure. something about the sound still carrying to the edge of the loaded map cell which is also the range of unsurpressed guns anyway so there wont be any real effect.

[...]

[...]

I like those ideas ! Maybe a new skill "Stealth Combat", or "Silent Kills", or "Advanced Melee", or "Stealth Killmoves", or "Killmoves" .... etc 

Some cool name to sum all the stealthy-hitman-mercenary-like ways to kill a Zed. !?!

The more you level up. The more you unlock New kill-moves and the less chance of failing the kill-move and the more chance you are to successfully do the kill-move... etc Experience Points would go up per\kill and stall per\failed kill.