Metal bars for barricading windows (+ one more suggestion)

mads232

After this mondoid I got some ideas:

First suggestion:

As I was reading the wonderful questions asked by the french guys, something came to my thoughts. With the new metal worker profession coming up, I was thinking about metal bars for the windows.

Think about it..

Once they're forged and installed to the windows, they can't be dismantled, unless blown to pieces.

Also, there will be no metal bars for doors, to make sure there's always a way inside the building.

Second suggestion: One of the things that were discussed too, was the recipe system.

How about this:

You find a recipe and pick it up.

As long as you're carrying the recipe, you're able to make the item. (But not without the recipe on you!)

But if you, let's say, build this item 25 times, you remember the recipe, so you don't need the recipe anymore!

So now you're just building from experience, without the need of a recipe.

I don't know what you think, but I thought it would be really cool to see this! :)

The suggestion with the barricading is pretty good! But you need some more then 5 stripes to secure an window and you need to weld it on an window with an proper tool an knowledge.

The suggestion with the barricading is pretty good! But you need some more then 5 stripes to secure an window and you need to weld it on an window with an proper tool an knowledge.

Didn't say it was going to be easy. :P Considering this could stop zombies from breaching windows, this should be a really difficult thing to craft.

Didn't say it was going to be easy. :P Considering this could stop zombies from breaching windows, this should be a really difficult thing to craft.

I would like some way to put hinges on them so you can still use them as an escape route as well. Like the window equivalent of a gate. So like iron bar shutters or something.

I'm just afraid that would make them somehow too superior

It would be pretty neat to take the door off an oven, and use it to barricade a window or something.  Using other things from the house as barricades would be cool, each with its own strengths and weaknesses.  Better yet it would be cool to move an oven or chair in front of a door as a block.  If the door was gone (or if we ever get broken door latches) it would require X amount of zombies pushing against it for it to move, or X amounts of hits for it to break.  It always struck me as odd that I couldn't push a couch in front of a door in a pinch.  Considering zombies would not properly push an object to move it (imagine trying to push an oven with just your legs, etc) it could take quite a few of them to move it.  At very least create another obstacle they have to move or get around to get inside.

Pushing items is probably not practical with the way the game is coded, but a neat idea none the less.

About the bars: Couldn't they be eventually ripped off or dented/bent to the point of breaking or allowing something to squeeze through? Like Realistically?

Like it could take a few hours to a day (For z's of superhuman Strength) a day to three days (For a few Z's of normal STR) or a week to two weeks (For weak Z's).

And a person with a crowbar/saw(Hacksaw not wood saw) could probably remove the bars in a decent amount of time without tons of noise (It would still make some noise)

I mean it would probably be the best barricades in the game, but it wouldn't be impossible for enough hands/tools (Dead or otherwise) to break it down or rip them off. And when they did break by the undead, they would probably make alot of noise! Clattering to the ground like a dinner bell.

Also you could probably put a metal beam across doors as well, the brackets could eventually be forced off just like window bars but this door bar could be locked/unlocked from inside, making them better than plank barricades and stronger.

Could make them a little less OP vs Zeds.

About the bars: Couldn't they be eventually ripped off or dented/bent to the point of breaking or allowing something to squeeze through? Like Realistically?

Like it could take a few hours to a day (For z's of superhuman Strength) a day to three days (For a few Z's of normal STR) or a week to two weeks (For weak Z's).

It seems unlikely that a person (dead or not) can break thru metal bars before destroying the wall were the window is at. At lest not in the time you are saying. To make it believable it can be like in carpentry, were the level of the skill affect the "live" of the object.

Deforming/bending the metal is more realistic but it would require some sort of intelligence to make it, the central bars would require a lot more of work than the first bars.

And there comes the biggest problem, the design.

378_window_bar_ad_pic_4.JPG

The parallels bars make it way more stronger. And they are common soooo... Not realistic to bend them.

Realistically: make them takes a while. You have to cut all of them and then weld everything. It takes a lot of time! more so if you don't have the right tools. Imagine to cut a solid metal bar with a hand saw :???:

Making the metal part of the window of above would take 3 hours give or take with the right tools (of course, if you make it right)