Steam Beta Release - 08th Sep 2013 - Version 2.9.9.17

lemmy101

Right click game in Steam, go into Properties, click BETAS tab and select the beta branch in the drop down. Warning, as with all non-official releases, backing up saves in C:\Users\<Username\Zomboid is recommended.

• Fixes to rain barrel loading. Those saves should now load fine.
  • Reduction (hopefully elimination) of crashes, but no guarantees.
  • Various fixes / opimizations
  • Oh erm. A new control scheme / combat system. As an experiment there is no option for it currently, though we'll add the original back in. We want to find out if this system is more instantly intuitive, since a lot of people have trouble with combat starting the game. Therefore aren't going to tell you how to do it to simulate being new. :P If you hate it, please don't worry, you will have the original option back. What's more important though is we find a control scheme that the majority love that doesn't require an in-depth tutorial to figure out :D
  • Fixed getting stuck at windows.

Excellent! Guns seem to have a pretty good chance of killing a zombie on the first hit now. (clyde)

B4LHngA.jpg

This time they are dead for real :evil:

I'm using the same controls as before, it seems to work fine. Maybe sneaking is no longer required? Not sure.

I've also turned multi-core back on to see how the crashes are.

Edit: No crashes so far, but the performance seems to have dropped significantly. I'm often running in blackness because the map cells stream in verrry slowly. I have to wait for them to load in, even if I just walk.

The movement stops and starts too (but doesn't freeze indefinitely, like before). This is at 720p resolution, under Win7, quad cores running at 3GHz (and heavy load), 4GB RAM, 1GB Radeon 5770. The previous builds ran a lot more smoothly.

Edit2: Got a crash after all. Same as in the previous steam build. Running around, screen freezes, task not responding. I could play a lot longer than in the previous Steam version though.

Edit3: I managed to add a multi-story sheet-rope to a crafted window, but can't seem to do the same with another crafted window that has crafted floor / ceiling underneath (1 level down). Is that normal? Ropes can only go down to the ground?

You don't have to charge up your melee attacks... right? I seem to have found a bug: You can double strike with a melee weapon when you press long mouse button as soon as one strike is finished. (sorry for the crappy english ;)

Another bug I encounted was that the game froze when I tried to climb through certain windows (ESC to get in the menu still worked). I did not make any difference whether I tried to climb through the window by pressing E or by context menu.

I like the new combat system :). It makes it easier since I don't have to charge the attack. Also, I hope that the black spots get fixed/optimized soon. It seems to stutter away now rather than smoothly disappear. Which will make the other black spots go away slower. So when I'm running I have a chance to be in complete darkness while the world is generating behind me.

You don't have to charge up your melee attacks... right? I seem to have found a bug: You can double strike with a melee weapon when you press long mouse button as soon as one strike is finished. (sorry for the crappy english ;)

Something similar is happening with the guns. I'm getting double, and maybe even triple shots sometimes, with a single left click. They drop a bunch of zombies, but they can also be wasteful.

I've been playing with the melee combat for a bit and my initial reaction is that it's going to be a lot more intuitive.

I've noticed I don't have to click on zombies to strike them anymore but as long as they're in range when I swing they'll get hit.  If that's not a new thing I'll feel silly, but if it is that's great.  It makes a lot more sense than missing because I didn't click in the right spot even though I saw the swing connect.

Also, I can't charge my swings anymore.  I think damage is more closley tied to your endurance now; if you swing with no exhaustion you are at full strength but your strikes get weaker as you tire out.

Well very nice and quick fix i loaded 3 ruined games and they all worked :)  But my bag is still resetting every time i load. I might just need to make a new game to have that fixed. Other then that so far i love the new combat/house zoom. I will bug test tonight after work.

No offence Devs but the new combat system is horrible (atleast in my case) because I can't kill a single zombie anymore!Now my character just pushes the zombie back instead of hitting it, meaning that the upclose encounters are 99% fatal for any character. I lost 3 survivors in 15 minutes that way, it's not fun.

No offence Devs but the new combat system is horrible (atleast in my case) because I can't kill a single zombie anymore!Now my character just pushes the zombie back instead of hitting it, meaning that the upclose encounters are 99% fatal for any character. I lost 3 survivors in 15 minutes that way, it's not fun.

Have you tried holding right mouse button?

Nvm wrong link again, 1  sec

here: https://mega.co.nz/#!VkMUyIqK!V4tJYDrDb4pbD1Jlq3_mqw9S7lZqGvVsZFkyua8dLgw

this has absolutely nothing to do with our game :D

I was experimenting with defines.lua and left a syntax error in it and suddenly LoL appeared in my console... I thought it was the crash some dude was talking about earlier this post.. Kill me.