How did you find out about Project Zomboid and what was your initial reaction?

So, I was curious about this and I guess I should start by giving you my own personal experiences. The first time I ever heard about PZ was from Google I believe about I don't know, back in the days of the old graphics, story mode and baldspot back when NPC's were crazy gun toting lunatics in stores waiting for you to step in. 

I did some research and knew right away *this* was the zombie survival game I had been waiting for. However, what I didn't anticipate was the amount of time that would consume me anxiously anticipating and waiting for NPC's to be released. At that time I didn't realize the passion and heart going into this game and would have never perceived this type of excitement. 

Now, I admit my opinion on multiplayer was less that flattered at best. However, now that I've had time to grow accustomed to roleplaying servers and the varying degrees of character building that this game allows you to obtain I'm starting to *love* Project Zomboid even more. Also, I hope one day there will be a pure survival version with mods without zombies (as that was originally what I was looking for.) More of a society builder which to be fair PZ kind of is. That leads me to my next point and this one is important. 

How do *you* view PZ? Is it *just* an amazing zombie game? Because if that's your aspiration then you're seriously missing out. I see *so* much more. I don't even care about the zombies. I care about the humans, how people react in catastrophes. Zombies are just a background and I'll likely lessen them when NPC's come out to get the full entertainment out of the story telling elements. It's a society builder, where NPC's struggle from ashes to grow small settlements and keep them safe using teamwork, dedication and determination. I'm expecting (although, not entitled to.) see NPC's treat me as I'm just another person. To communicate directly and indirectly. To scare and ignore me to varying degrees depending on the situation. 

Now, all of this leads me to my other point which is this. I expect to be bombarded with moral decisions that don't necessarily have morality in them. For example, when I'm running on a food run and see a group pinned down by a horde of zombies (or hostile faction) the ability to intervene and save those people should bare down on you conscious. But more importantly to make you feel like you *do* have a say in the matter.

"Do I want to potentially die saving these poor people."

Or

"Do I want to play it safe and just pass by unnoticed and not tussle with these here outlaws." (Who talks like that?)

At the end of the day I want a meaningful play through that's unique each and every single time I fire up PZ. 

Anyway, sorry that was longer than you probably expected. Tell me what your opinion is and how you found PZ and what your initial thoughts on it were. If you want tell us what you plan for in the future ! :D

I remember hearing about it on some gaming news site if I recall correctly- not a very widely read article I'm sure, I just happened to be browsing for games at the time- but I didn't go out and put it on my "Yup, I'm on board with this for sure" list until I saw Notch mention that he enjoyed the game (citation: https://twitter.com/notch/status/82754213846843393). I'm not exactly a Notch fanboy, but I do respect his taste in games- typically extremely similar to my own. So I checked it out and I've been following ever since.

I registered on the (old) Indie Stone Forums a few months later (November, if I recall correctly) and I've never once looked back. It's been a long, bumpy ride and taken me to some incredible and unexpected places, introduced me to some people I'm extremely proud to call my friends, and has evolved into one helluva game along the way.

That's my story, and I wouldn't trade any part of the experience for the world.

Edit: Oh, and due to various circumstances, I've bought the game on Google Checkout, Desura, and Steam. :D

I actually found it on the YouTube scene about two or three years ago (Maybe more than that? :D). I was kind of a ghost on the forums for a while, and even remember the old forums a little bit. I didn't get to see much of 'em though. I became a member right after I bought the game.

I actually used to be strictly a console gamer. Specifically, an Xbox guy. Kind of a fanboy too, though that situation has changed dramatically. In all honesty, the ENTIRE reason I originally bought a PC was to play Project Zomboid. I spent quite a deal of money to play this game... I think I spent around $500.  :lol:

But it was worth it. Every cent that made up those $500 were well spent, because I ended up becoming a member of the greatest community I have ever seen, I've also helped support, along with this glorious community, one of the best Indie Developers of all time. And I've had the chance to play a game that will have/has everything I have ever wanted in a video game. There is a void in my soul that could only be filled by PZ, the PZ community, and its developers. And I mean every word of this. ;)

That about sums it up. I think that defines how I feel about all of this.  :)

you guys above me have better stories than mine.

i don't even remember exactly how i found the game, i think one day a game play video showed up in my Recommended Videos section on youtube and i watched it. then i searched out more game play, found "that one guy", and watched his videos till he drove me crazy while learning the game as well.

Google gave me the link to the forum, and i've been here since then.

lol, i spend so much time here, this is my Firefox home page

funny thing is, i was not looking for a new game to play. i was just fine with Farm Sim 2013, Sim City 4, TDU2 and RCT3.......

I was actually looking for some Zombie Survival game that's not a DayZ clone (I hate all of those FPS zombie survival games) on IndieDB and noticed Project Zomboid as #1 in Top 100 games. I love zombies, I love isometric games in general so it was a dream come true, it was almost the happiest day of my gaming life.

First reaction when in game? "There is a god!" like I said, PZ is basically everything I ever wanted in terms of zombie survival. It's worth mentioning that I then came to the forums and I must say I've never seen a better community around anything. Now this forum is the only forum I'm active on and PZ is pretty much the only game I currently play. PZ also made me like Mondays.

I dont remember where, propably at youtube when i was serching for a zombie games. It was way back in 1.5 builds. The game was promising but I decided to wait a bit longer before buying. After a year or so I had some free cash on steam after sealing some dota2 items, then i decided to give it a chance. It was in build 23. I love it and when they release 1.0 it will be best zombie game ever :).

The first time I saw this game on steam I was like "Ughh, another zombie game? Really!? Too many zombies games these days."

I don't really like mindless chopping or shooting zombie games, even the ones with fantastic graphics.

I thought this game was one of them so I didn't really pay attention to it coz it's not even a full-release yet.

Then I watched Robbaz's playthru... instant purchase.

Someone I follow on Twitch happened to be playing PZ. I had never seen the game before and jumped into the channel. I was like "Wow, why are all the lights off in The Sims? ... Wtf was that a zombie? ... I need this mod ... Wait it's not The Sims? ... Must. Get. Game ..."

After that I bought the game and watched several Youtube series to get the hang of things. Found these forums and the IWBUMS branch and fell deeper in love with the game.

That was all within the last 2 weeks or so. Now I have just under 100 hours in the game and am loving all of them. PZ is a great game and has the potential to be an even more phenomenal game when all is said and done. The dev team and all the PZ staff are some of the most active and helpful staff I have ever seen. Keep up the great work!

i played "The last stand - Dead Zone" on Armorgames for quite a while, but the ridiculous pay2win and gamebreaking car upgrade p*ssed me off. So i was looking for something alike and stumbled upon PZ. My first reaction was "wow, someone put the Sims, Fallout and Ultima Online together.." I really like the Fallout - series and played UO on freeshards for nearly 5 years (3 only as player, 2 as counselor,too). Showed the game a friend of mine. His reaction was "Jagged Alliance and Ultima? Hell yeah!". So i rented a small server and we started playing some days ago..

I'd seen early builds occasionally when I looked for new zombie games. A screenshot here, an honorable mention there, the occasional review. In its earliest days, years ago, I passed it off as just another barebones cash grab from one of many early-access companies hoping to cash in on the hopes and dreams of zombie survival fans such as myself.

I'd been disappointed quite a few times by other attempts at "survival" themed zombie games (note, Dead Frontier). Even the hyped AAA titles left me unsatisfied (Dead Island was a good example...fun, but an action game, not zombie SURVIVAL). I pretty much gave up on the hope that a team of developers envisioned what I wanted from a zombie game.

A few months back, one of my coworkers was listing off coop games we could play together, and in passing he mentioned Project Zomboid. The name rang a bell, and when I saw a few screenshots I realized I'd seen it before and gave it the pass. Still, my friend assured me it was "ok", and I jotted down the name.

Without a shred of faith in the vision of TIS, I downloaded the demo and prepared for disappointment.

A few days later, as soon as I cashed that weeks' paycheck, I added Project Zomboid to my Steam library. It has since replaced XCOM (the original) as my all-time favorite video game, a feat that not even classics like Chrono Trigger managed. Kudos, Indie Stone, for giving me the game I've literally dreamed about since my love for zombie movies collided with my passion for gaming. You've done what no others could.

In December 2014 I got my laptop and went through a full month of game searching. looking for THE game I would enjoy. So I used Steam search a lot and it kepth showing PZ in the results. I checked out its' steam page and said to myself 'fuck this shit' (clyde)  and went for State of ******. 

Eventually through the winter the darn PZ came up in every search I did in google for sandbox, open world, zombies, post apocalypse, crafting, building etc keywords i would glue to my game searchings.

Then I watched a Youtube video from MBPG around beginning May. Decided I'd try it out...... :arrow:  been playing almost daily ever since  ;-)  :-D

I think Steam got tired of me clicking "NOT INTERESTED" on all its suggested games that it recced me Zomboid out of spite.

Now I'm hooked and I keep dying and I hate whatever led me to play this.

(Also, googling PZ youtube showed me this. First 30 seconds did a lot to convince me to buy the game.)

Damn Steam was bombarding me with Project Zomboid. I'll be honest and say I didn't like it very much at a first glance, trailers, pictures. I mean, it was interesting to a point - but with so many other awesome games - there wasn't much that could potentially grab my interests.

However, as if Gaben himself knew exactly what kind of person I am and what I like - he didn't surrender. Steam continued to bombard me with PZ wherever it could until one night Gaben whispered to my ears. Tried out the demo and said "Welp I'm buying this"

Shortly after - I called in sick and bought another another copy for a friend :D :D

I honestly do not remember how I found this wonderful game, probably through google.  I think the game only cost $4.99 when I bought it some years ago.  I have played off and on since then, getting bored until new content is released. Right now I am playing a lot and looking forward to MOAR! content.

Found out about the game, jumped in without spending any time in the wiki and was then killed because the tutorial has incorrect information. Undeterred, I consulted the wiki and rapidly realized my mistake. Now, 120 minutes in, I'm loving the game and keep discovering more and more.

Found out about the game, jumped in without spending any time in the wiki and was then killed because the tutorial has incorrect information. Undeterred, I consulted the wiki and rapidly realized my mistake. Now, 120 minutes in, I'm loving the game and keep discovering more and more.

Out of curiosity, what was the incorrect information?