[Abandoned] [Java] ModelLoader 1.16_02

Jab

My point is if there's game-breaking bugs in these, or they introduced crashes, then they should have stayed on the IWBUMS Beta side until the next stable release candidate.

What I'm trying to say is that that's exactly what happened. It stayed in the internal testing group then IWBUMS until it was stable.

Or so we thought. Turns out tons and tons of people playing something reveal more issues then a small group.

Funny how someone will find something wrong with what you manage to put together :-D. No developer will be so omniscient as to find every possible error that can be caused by the code you make, that is why having a community of players and testers is awesome!

Enigma, do you have any insight onto when a stable 32 will be done so we can go off the IWBUMS?

So does that mean we can edit the player model or custom clothes? lol I also seeing that now makes me think having a axe for a hand isn't as good is I thought lol

So The model format is loadable. What this means is objects such as weapons can be loaded into the game without having to be the zomboid model format. This means it is now way easier to work with weapon mods.

The zomboid format remains limited to clothes, hair, and weapons for now, until I can crack the animation calculation code in Blender.

Also a note for OBJ format:

You MUST use triangular faces. You can triangulate models through Blender or other common 3D utilities. Otherwise, due to the nature of the Vertex handlers in the game, it will not load properly. 

Edited by Jab

I want to see this integrated and extended in Build 33 or I'm, going to be seriously disappointed. We seriously need official support for custom models, I can't even imagine the mount of awesome character customization we could all get if adding custom models could be done without this.

Also, this is why I love modding in general. Awesome Work!

I want to see this integrated and extended in Build 33 or I'm, going to be seriously disappointed. We seriously need official support for custom models, I can't even imagine the mount of awesome character customization we could all get if adding custom models could be done without this.

I doubt there'll be any official support until tools are released for working with models.

Sorry, Svarog.

I doubt there'll be any official support until tools are released for working with models.

Sorry, Svarog.

Because, obviously, we don't have any custom models in the game atm. Stuff like gun models, hair and clothing can be changed with Jabs own scripts and blender, I'm not talking about adding in fully modeled and functional dragons.

Character customization and weapon models need an update, if it's already do-able why not just roll with it and integrate a mod that makes it possible to expand by the community itself?

Character customization and weapon models need an update, if it's already do-able why not just roll with it and integrate a mod that makes it possible to expand by the community itself?

Because once it is in the game it is more or less closed source. I'd much rather like to see it on github so that the community can expand and work on it.

snip

So mods > game?

Not sure what you are trying to say with that equation, but let me put it like this: integrating a mod which hasn't been tested and might cause problems has risks for TIS, whereas giving the code to TIS means that the modding community can't change it, or at least change it with great difficulty if the need arises.

Not sure what you are trying to say with that equation, but let me put it like this: integrating a mod which hasn't been tested and might cause problems has risks for TIS, whereas giving the code to TIS means that the modding community can't change it, or at least change it with great difficulty if the need arises.

I just assumed that you'd prefer stuff be a mod rather than get in the game and be available to more people. The thing works for me, and even then, no matter at what point it would be integrated it would need updates from TIS. What you say is a good point and I accept it.

I still think what we have here is awesome and I would love to see it finally in the game (Custom 3D model support) if it's not in Build 33, i'll live, I'll still be disappointed but I'll live, it's an awesome feature and the fact that it had to be modded in I personally find silly, I'm relatively new to PZ (7 months) and I do know that 3D probably came in before big modding support but still... (It's kind of obivious that when PZ first came out modding wasn't a feature)

I still think what we have here is awesome

I agree, and yeah we have been waiting for official 3d model support for a long time :)

I don't mean that it should never be in the game, but I mean the devs have a lot on their hands already. The real question is if they could put as much effort into keeping it updated, bugfree and extensible as a healthy modding community can ;)

But we'll see what happens. It wouldn't be the first mod to make it into the game.

I agree, and yeah we have been waiting for official 3d model support for a long time :)

I don't mean that it should never be in the game, but I mean the devs have a lot on their hands already. The real question is if they could put as much effort into keeping it updated, bugfree and extensible as a healthy modding community can ;)

But we'll see what happens. It wouldn't be the first mod to make it into the game.

I guess that's the thing about TIS being a small team, I do realize they have a lot on their plate, Vehicles, Animations, NPCs, a megaton of truly HUGE features that will change the way PZ works. Trust me when I say that I respect them all like no one else (other than my GF) and if I could I'd be buying a copy of PZ every month just so they can have a beer.

But as it is in every case I see it, when something really major is seen in a mod and not in game, when it really should be in-game, I kind of expect the actual game to live up, especially if it works, for all the major features we're about to get, I hope to see this as one of them and I want to see Jab in a mondoid (Hell, I got a shout out for testing new zombie settings, Jab deserves a mondoid all of his own)

I do understand that the devs are under enough pressure as it is, they want out of Early Access, they want to get 1.0, people keep asking for major features, after 4+ years of working on a single project I'd go insane but they keep working hard and delivering us all new features, and I love it, I absolutely love TIS, I love the community around PZ.

But really, for me, model loader is not a mod, it's a missing feature, that's why I'm so lively about it. I make mods myself I add to the game in a subjective way, I add stuff I think are missing and know are not what devs intend to make, being able to mod more stuff, more efficiently is not a subjective addition, it's a missing feature.

That's all I really have to say, sorry for typos but it's 2AM and I've drank a few beers.

I guess that's the thing about TIS being a small team, I do realize they have a lot on their plate, Vehicles, Animations, NPCs, a megaton of truly HUGE features that will change the way PZ works. Trust me when I say that I respect them all like no one else (other than my GF) and if I could I'd be buying a copy of PZ every month just so they can have a beer.

But as it is in every case I see it, when something really major is seen in a mod and not in game, when it really should be in-game, I kind of expect the actual game to live up, especially if it works, for all the major features we're about to get, I hope to see this as one of them and I want to see Jab in a mondoid (Hell, I got a shout out for testing new zombie settings, Jab deserves a mondoid all of his own)

I do understand that the devs are under enough pressure as it is, they want out of Early Access, they want to get 1.0, people keep asking for major features, after 4+ years of working on a single project I'd go insane but they keep working hard and delivering us all new features, and I love it, I absolutely love TIS, I love the community around PZ.

But really, for me, model loader is not a mod, it's a missing feature, that's why I'm so lively about it. I make mods myself I add to the game in a subjective way, I add stuff I think are missing and know are not what devs intend to make, being able to mod more stuff, more efficiently is not a subjective addition, it's a missing feature.

That's all I really have to say, sorry for typos but it's 2AM and I've drank a few beers.

I wrote this mod knowing that model loading would either eventually be done by TIS, or not done at all, seeing the potential to release fully by the end of the year (stated in a mondoid somewhere. Can't remember for sure though).

I have no problem continuing this mod, as long as it continues to be useful, and serves its purpose. Adding content to the game is nice, and I always want to make subjective mods, but i always push that back because I see something I want to do that I can't do, so I fix that. 

I may never be able to make subjective mods for this game, however, I enjoy playing the ones that can use this mod for theirs, and that is more than enough to satisfy what comes about with the release of this tool. Thanks guys. :)

Just a note: I am avoiding IWBUMS, (unless people actually desire it, depending on the time between upstream pushes to the main branch).

I am OK with supporting what builds are requested.

I am considering making a tool that allows for automated version control / installment of this mod, to prevent further issues, and complications with the sudden change in Build patterns with Build 32.

Let me know what you guys think. 

• 3 weeks later...

If things go smoothly clothingwise, what are the chances of getting the unfinished clothing slots like hats and backpacks up and running?

It's a bit of a long shot, adding features instead of tweaking them, but its already there, half-implemented.

A bit of a proposition, and though TIS might crucify me for this for one reason or another, what about a "PZ: Community Edition." We already pretty much have access to the unadulterated source code and free reign to fix and implement all the little things that have been hanging around the suggestion forum for some time now. Just a thought.

(And no, before anyone says anything about it, having source code is not in any way illegal or in breach of contract according to US free speech laws, but releasing modifications to proprietary software [PZ] is ostensibly copyright infringement, unless TIS says otherwise.)

(And yes, I actually looked that up)

(So go away lawyers until I actually do things, then feel free to sue me)

A bit of a proposition, and though TIS might crucify me for this for one reason or another, what about a "PZ: Community Edition." We already pretty much have access to the unadulterated source code and free reign to fix and implement all the little things that have been hanging around the suggestion forum for some time now. Just a thought.

We give you a licence to:
  • Change or distribute the base files or contents in any way you like, provided that those changes do not result in you making Project Zomboid available to play or download , or are for the purposes of cheating, hacking, exploits or griefing other people or are malicious or illegal in intent or practice.
  • Use art, music, video footage or other assets of Project Zomboid for creative purposes in any way you like providing the end result is related in some way to Project Zomboid, is for non-commercial use only and states Project Zomboid as its influence and origin by supplying the following wording prominently with the assets: “Thanks to The Indie Stone for creating Project Zomboid http://projectzomboid.com/), which made this possible.  This is an unofficial fan production for non-commercial purposes made under the Indie Stone Terms [link to these terms]“
  • If you use any third party contents, IP, software or tools together with Project Zomboid then it’s your responsibility to make sure you have all the necessary licences and permissions etc.
  •  You can make gameplay footage or “Let’s Play” type videos on YouTube or other online video platforms, and monetise them if you like too.

This means that we still own Project Zomboid and everything in it, plus our forums too.  It’s just that we’re giving you the right to play around with the game, as explained above.

Just in case it wasn’t clear from earlier, you are notpermitted to:
  • Modify the base files of Project Zomboid to include malicious code or other naughtiness.
  • Distribute Project Zomboid yourself, or host its download. In order to ensure the game’s integrity we recommend it should only ever be down

-snip-

Thanks for the clarification. I read the EULA, but "hacking" and "illegal" are a teeny bit ambiguous, as, for all intents and purposes, Jab's ModelLoader, and even moreso my precursor endeavors into the subject can be regarded as hacking, albeit not so malicious (and probably not the kind of hacking intended), though still questionably legal.

Hm damn ... apparently this was added to the game (you can find it in the source dir in PZLicense.txt):

Restrictions. Licensee may not without expressed permission from The Indie Stone, and may not permit others to:(a) reverse engineer, decompile, decode, decrypt, disassemble, or in any way derive source code from, the Software;(b) modify, translate, adapt, alter, or create derivative works from the Software using decompiled source code;(c) copy (other than one back-up copy), distribute, publicly display, transmit, sell, rent, lease or otherwise exploit the Software; or(d) distribute, sublicense, rent, lease, loan [or grant any third party access to or use of] the Software to any third party.

So basically we have two contradicting licenses here ^^

• Kirrus locked this topic