Uncooked fish from river contains worms!

raymond

Sorry if already suggested, I can be a silly goose sometimes. Fish needs to be cooked, as it can contain parasites while raw IRL (not sure if them fish worms are as lethal as pigs' armed tapeworm) but still atleast food poisoning would do. I have strong stomach ingame, but the icon doesn't even say "dangerous uncooked" nor I had any poisoning from raw fish.

Edit: highly exploitable for not having to waste fuel or time

Sashimi is only safe(-ish) if saltwater fish is used, and even then its usually further salted or pickled. The thin slices and wasabi is actually just a garnish thing and generally just makes eating raw fish less awful.

So unless you expect to find swordfish in people's refridgerators: to quote Spiff-Ivor, cook the damn fish.

As someone that's eaten sushi and river fish, I can tell you that they are not the same.  Tuna, yellowtail, salmon and eel are all saltwater fish that live out in the ocean.  You REALLY don't want to eat a catfish or trout raw (not from a safety perspective, but from a taste).  I don't care how much soy sauce and wasabi you have.  Also, the wasabi doesn't cook the fish, you could do lemon juice to make ceviche, but again, some fish just don't taste good raw.  Even in a survival situation, I'd cook a trout over a pile of burning newspaper/leaves than eat it raw.

+1 to cook it.

Sushi is awesome.

On a related note, I did some more research and found something interesting.  Even though sushi isn't cooked, it still is de-wormed through freezing.  All sushi fish has either been flash-frozen aboard the fishing ship, or conventionally frozen upon docking.  To kill the parasites, the fish has to be flash-frozen at -31F for at least 15 hours, or frozen at -4F for 7 days.