equal oportunity death

bobchaos

I've been playing on build 32, which added 2 new professions and a skill: engineer and electrician (+ electrical skill). It just might be rotten luck but I've not been able to find recipe books for all the engineer's traps. Assuming they just don't exist, that's where I'm concerned.

This would create a system in which all players are no longer "equal", meaning that (as far as I can tell, new player) some professions can do things that others can't do at all. I just thought it was nice that you had to pick a specialization but you still could do anything with a bit more effort. Maybe have a skill lvl requirement for the recipe books, or make leveling more complex skills (like engineering, electrical and carpentry) downright dangerous when doing things that are considered innapropriate for your level. A lvl 0 carpenter for instance could cut himself with the saw or add his finger and blood to the barricade decorations. I could certainly see an amateur engineer exploding himself trying to fix up a pipe bomb.

Actually, now that I wrote that, yeah, that's what i'm going with: replace all level requirement with a chance for bodily harm! That's be brutal :D

All characters should have equal skill oportunities while finding their demise! Thoughts anyone?

Three words: wait for NPC's.

Edit: when you are on your own, you should pick things like sneak and speed. You have to be mobile as you can't afford to sit at the base all the time (you won't be able to get most of he resourses which tend to be in the business center of town). Once there are organised groups of player + NPC's, there will be more chances for unstealthy, unfast classes to survive thanks to cooperation.

raymond i'ma go ahead and assume you didn't read a word of what I said, seeing as your comment as nothing to do with mine :P

Further expanding on my idea, it occurs to mme there could be a range of failures, ranging from "I couldn't get it done" to "there was a brutal accident", with perhaps loss of tool durability or materials in between.

I disagree personally, I'm in support of expanding specialization and not a big fan of the idea that everyone should be able to become a jack of all trades. Some stuff should be completely off limits to some builds.

I like the sound of getting hurt when trying to do something without being skilled enough to do it, like, say, getting electrocuted while playing with a generator or getting burned while cooking something advanced, as long as it's not fatal but rather something that puts players a temporary disadvantage like breaking a leg, getting killed by accidents is kind of cheap.

I've toyed around with the idea of getting hurt while doing certain things in mods, like getting cut while breaking a bottle to get a broken bottle weapon when it's desperately needed and I like the general result, it might be dangerous but it might save your life, and it did both for me a few times.

raymond i'ma go ahead and assume you didn't read a word of what I said, seeing as your comment as nothing to do with mine :P

My bad :P

Edit: was just back from the forum about 32 feedback talking about that, that's why I thought you wrote something regarding dying too much without proper skills. Yeah, I didn't pay much attention. Also, I'm having a tense situation IRL now, so I am a bit nervous and can do weird stuff.

After reading, yes, I think having such possibilities would increase death variety a lot, as for more things available for amateurs, I am an amateur carpenter IRL, but I think I would be able to rig something like a stool, surely not the sturdiest one. What do you think of collapsable furniture made by amateurs? Tho that smells like a differnt new suggestion to me. Anyways, real complex stuff should only be available to qualified ppl (if I come up with examples, I'll give some).

Lots of people complained about having too many Zeds in build 32, but I never played any previous build so I got no frame of reference :/ As far as i'm concerned it's great as is in 32, getting tired of games that let you mow zombies down by the 1000s without breaking a sweat. These Max Brooks style zombies however are scary business enough that there's no need for the special-super-mutated-zombies-of-doom that other zombie games rely on to keep players on their toes. Sure, I can get away from them by just walking away at a normal pace, but if you got one on you there's no getting away, and if he gets his teeths in ya you'll need to be shopping for a brand new body ;)

Svarog, I certainly agree that going from healthy to dead due to a skill mishap would be quite uncool. Might even drive noobs away :o Injuries would be plenty brutal, and death should only be possible if you were already in really bad shape.

I disagree personally, I'm in support of expanding specialization and not a big fan of the idea that everyone should be able to become a jack of all trades. Some stuff should be completely off limits to some builds.

Except that outside of true engineering (electrical knowledge is not that), all other skills are skills that can be self learned in real life.

The only problem is how long it will take for you to "master" one of those skills in real life.

As for the idea of one getting hurt while trying to do something with a low skill I am completly in favor. Who never hammered his own thumb when nailing a picture to the wall?

Anything can be self taught, even engineering, if you have access to the right resources, here represented by the skill and recipe books. I could certainly see how a manual for building a pipe bomb might not be commonly available in the sheds of Kansas locals. Its more a gameplay issue than a realism one for me: If you're a carpenter and some other guy's an engineer, he can also learn carpenting and make structures just as pretty and sturdy but you can't learn his fancier bombs no matter what effort you put in it.