Some Humble Ideas

BoxBeckin

Hey,

I've been playing zomboid for some time now. I'm what you'd call a low profile surivivor, I just derp around as much as I need to in order to find myself the needed tools. Once I have an axe, saw, hammer and trowel, I settle down in a quiet spot in the midst of nature, build me a fence for protection and start farming potatoes. Because, we all know about them taters, don't we now. Boy, I love me some puturdurs. Stuff them in a stew. Make a soup. Mmm-hmm.

Anyway, before I get carried away, let me list a few things I noticed myself missing in the game.

1. Something to cut them pesky fences with. Like wire cutters or such. Helps breaking into those storage areas without having to circle round and meeting a gathering of former employees all standing around snarling about the lack of grey brain matter in the cafeteria these days.

2. More clothes, and different kinds of them. I'm talking jackets, coats, shirts, boots, worker overalls, raincoats, whatever. Something to add to the survivor wardrobe for some stylish brain bashing, and to help protect against the cold and rain. We can't all be outdoorsmen, and I know I prefer being a spud farmer. Because boy, do I love me some taters.

3. A bit more variety to the tool world, and maybe loosen the need for them up a bit. I do apprectiate the fact that you can basically use anything to cut down your tree with if you have the time, but since we're already at the stage of being able to cut down a tree with a frying pan, why don't we use the saw to do the same? I heard rumors about a possible addition of a chainsaw which is very welcome, but I think I could fell a tree with the saw currently in the game.

4. This has been up before, but I feel I need to say it again. Vehicles. We're in towns, and I really feel we need cars. Even if they're not drivable yet, just abandoned vehicles littering the streets, acting as barricades, perhaps lootable for gasoline and wunderbaums. Tire irons and such. These car-casses would add depth and the sense of apocalypse to the game. RIght now, it seems you're wandering an idyllic amish village without the horses and the awesome hats.

5. A bit more realism to the water part of the game. Right now after the trusty pipelines go dry, you either find yourself a well, or hope to have that fouth filled square on your carpentry skill and build yourself a plain old box with a garbage bag in it to gather the water. Unless you happen to be in West Point where you can just scoop it right out of the river. Right when we got perfectly good trash cans and buckets and pots, kettles and mugs, bowls and jugs all over the game. So who says we can't just stick any old container out in the drizzle and wait for it to fill up?

6. Maybe some kind of activities you can occupy yourself with while waiting for them lovely spuds to grow. Maybe exercise? Maybe you could get better fitness by running around, work on that spare tire you got around your waist from all that fast food you'll never see again. How about crafting yourself some kinda weight lifting rig in your safe house to work on your triceps, getting that strenght level up?

These are some things I come to think of. Other than this, I thank everyone involved for an awesome gaming experience. It's an unique game, exactly what I've been looking for since the beginning of zombies in games. When I saw it come out, I knew this was the game for me, and I haven't regretted it since. Tipped off all my friends about it.

Regards,

BoxBeckin

nice post was fun to read.

1. i agree, i don't like being forced through one entrance. they are actually working on making it so you can climb over large fences.

2. clothes is a hot topic atm

3. the saws have bugged me for awhile too would be great 

4. vehicles are in the commonly suggested suggestions thread. and a general yes has been given

5. i think this has been mentioned too. i would like to see some more late game water options than just rivers, wells and rain.

6.this has also been a big discussion most people are tired of farming

Nice post, good read! :-)

You are already able to sprint in circles round your safehouse to up your sprinting skills.

You can (carefully) carry an overload of logs from A to B to up your strength. Thats all in the game already.

However, a weight lifting rig is a nice idea, indeed!

This game is still in early access and they are still adding missing features, expand the map and work on the buildings for those mapexpansions, which, i guess, is more time consuming than a few shirts and trousers.

What I'm trying to say is: PZ is still in alpha, so feature completeness goes over variety. I'm confident, they will give us more clothing variety when the game is feature-complete, but first things first. ;-)

Nice post, good read! :-)

You are already able to sprint in circles round your safehouse to up your sprinting skills.

You can (carefully) carry an overload of logs from A to B to up your strength. Thats all in the game already.

However, a weight lifting rig is a nice idea, indeed!

This game is still in early access and they are still adding missing features, expand the map and work on the buildings for those mapexpansions, which, i guess, is more time consuming than a few shirts and trousers.

What I'm trying to say is: PZ is still in alpha, so feature completeness goes over variety. I'm confident, they will give us more clothing variety when the game is feature-complete, but first things first. ;-)

I'll be. I didn't know that. Looks like my hauling of 12 planks at a time for my fence hasn't been in vain!

I can manage without the clothes for now. I just got into fishing to pass the time as my lovely taters are growing strong under the snow-covered ground (oddly), and I managed to catch me quite a behemoth of a pike. I dun filleted that monster right there on the shore, and now I can barely fit the damn thing in my fridge.

I hope some of it's left when my potatoes are ripe.

Dude, love the language (and the 'tater lovin'). As to your post:

1. Bolt cutters. Coming from a guy who plays everything from Doorkickers to Rome: Total War, it doesn't bug me that much that I have to slaughter them zeds to get in. Nostalgia for the old days of some other games that I used to play.

2. I'm holding out for a raincoat. That's it.

3. God, I freaking wish this would happen!

4. Patience is a virtue.

5. Yeah. I'd kinda like pots to fill up if I put them outside when it's raining. Making a tarp-water "well" would be nice too.

6. We need a gym where we can loot dumbbells and barbells. Like Leoqent said, sprinting in circles works as well. One thing I'm hoping for is:

Plastic bag full of sand x2 + Log + Twine/Tape = Makeshift bench press.

I gotta agree with all of them except sawing trees down. Chainsaws maybe, but using a hacksaw to fell a tree is a lot harder and less possible than it sounds. Saws are hard work. But at the same time, a hacksaw would make a pretty alright weapon, like an unwieldy serrated machete.

• 3 years later...

Wow this got brought back from the dead...

Well, we have cars now in all their glory! Clothing/Animation is on it's way sometime either this year or next.

I refuse to play this game until animations are added in and it's killing me, This is the game I've always wanted but I just need that finishing touch with the clothing and animations to make it. NPC's can be a ways off but it wont matter since I'll be catching up on all the things everyone else has probably already done. 

I've been sitting on this egg for 8 years now and it's almost ready to hatch!