Staircase Stacking

Gosts

Currently, if stairscases are placed directly above each other, it causes them to not function properly.

Here's an example:

post-22855-0-08389200-1433203621_thumb.p

This is a fire escape for a map I am working on. (I have removed the railing so that it's easier to see what's going on.) 

The game allows you to travel from the first floor up, using the lower staircase. It also allows you to use the upper staircase both ways. But you cannot go down on the lower staircase.

I don't know the game engine but I assume that the game sees that I am trying to walk into a staircase, and, since stairs are a physical object, it refuses to let me pass. (Although if this is the case, I have no clue why I can walk up the first staircase since i'd 'bump my head' on the physical object above me - but this is just guessing as pseudocode, like I said before. I have no clue how the game runs.)

To clarify further, here's my character struggling in vain to go down this staircase:

post-22855-0-77159400-1433203932_thumb.p

I've tried staircases at different angles, against or not against walls, and in all sorts of other situations to get this to work, but all in vain so far.

I think that having staircases stack vertically is absolutely vital - I am working on a larger city map, so fire escapes, and tall staircases are quite common. But even in suburbs I can see this being an issue, if a house is large enough and the stairs going up to a 2nd floor are below ones for the 3rd floor.

I looked around but couldn't find any staircases on top of each other in West Point. I think what you might be thinking of is this:

post-22855-0-19390700-1433382739_thumb.p

Which is pretty close to what I've had to do so far. As you can see, it's not stacked directly on top of each other. It's offset by one. While it does look alright here, it looks a bit stranger when you have several floor's worth. Especially if it is an indoor staircase, and not an external one. So unless there's a different fire escape in westpoint with staircase stacking I don't know of, I'm still hoping that stair stacking can make it into the game.

no that's the one I had in mind, sorry :/ Maybe you could try staggering them back and forth?

Alternatively, you can remodel the staircase to have a larger landing on each level and stagger them left to right instead of front to back.

I believe it has to do with the way the coding is read for the floor you're on. It doesn't register the objects a floor above as present, until you reach that floor. Literally, you could make a one-way staircase by putting in wood flooring over the stairway, while a crate set directly under the floor tile at the top of the stairs prevents you from going up those stairs.

In regards to your current quandary - Offset one way, and then back again on the next floor is the easiest answer I can give you. It keeps the stairs in a reasonably small window of operation, and lets you stack them as high as you can given the constrains of the floor level limitations.

It isn't a perfect solution, but I think the fix you're looking for would probably be a significant overhaul, if it were possible.