Fear of fire

bubucaos

Hi. First of all I love this game, because makes me be tense every second I play. If I leave down my guard a second I've bitten or worse.

I think that build 32 is much harder and I enjoy seeing  most experienced players on YouTube dying in 2 days now. We need to learn how survive again.  :)

But now we've got fire.

Fire is too powerfull against huge hordes and with a molotov cocktail and a shotgun is too easy luring hundred of zeds into fire.

I Think it's time to add a cognition skill to zombies. That may be customizable in sandbox and be different in each zombie like running speed ore eyesight.

That skill should be "Fear of fire" so the zeds usually avoid entering a cell with fire in.

I think it must be between "I don't care about fire or if I'm burning" and running away when see it.

With this you could lure hundreds of zeds to a fire circle trap that you've prepare before using remotes  or proximity triggers.

Other thing is working about fire spreading. Now with a single molotov you can burn down the whole map. I think some cells must be more burnable than others. For example a forest spreads fire quickly and roads don't. And others like Gas stations or granaries may explode.

Maybe you could add the possibility to add fuel to a cell or make a pile of logs to increase fire spreading and light the fire circle trap.

Thanks for that incredible game that can change and transform experienced players to newbies again.

in the original night of the living dead. the zombies would not come close to the house until the burning couch was out. it attracted them but at the same time kept them away

i do not think fire is too effective and many others agree atm catching a hoard of zombies on fire is a bad idea for you, your base, and smoky the bear.

Fire is currently useful for:

Killing a lot of zombies very slowly

Burning down half the map

Fire is not useful for:

Actually escaping a horde (now you just have to escape a horde *that is also on fire*)

I would not be adverse to zombies being afraid of walking directly into fire, making molotovs more of a dispersal tool than a total map apocalypse tool as they are now. I don't know how zombies that are *already on fire* should behave - it would be kind of odd to see most of the mob scatter apart from a tiny core of burners who are still coming right for you.

I did it.

In a game in Muldraght I decided to build my base in the storagge in the north, near the road.

I go out with an axe a shotgun and a molotov to clear the area.

When i shoot the shotgun the bigest horde I've seen in my life came to me.

I went north to the clear area and threw the molotov.

Later I ran rounding the fire horde and shooting the shotgun and the fire don't spreaded too much.

Now all the zeds in the sorroundings are dead.  I can safely clear the respawn.

And my life is peacefull for farming, chopping trees, make wood walls ...

Fire is not useful for:

Actually escaping a horde (now you just have to escape a horde *that is also on fire*)

PA_Disimprovement_zpsiaomyvi9.jpg 

That laugh aside, would love to see zombie cognition grow to include "Navigate + use doors + avoid fire". 

Max Brooks style zombies have 0 sense of self preservation, and would walk right into that fire o.O I would however like to see that added to sandbox options. As for door usage and general naviogation, those already exist in sandbox.

I do agree that fire shouldn't spread so easily through roads, but overall I'm pretty OK with it: in a world with no firefighters and lots of human-made, tightly packed burnables, I'd think twice about throwing a moly o.O

As for door usage and general naviogation, those already exist in sandbox.

... I think you're missing the point of what I said. An enhanced cognition level above what we already see that causes them to avoid fire. "Navigate + use doors + avoid fire" if a zombie is having trouble shambling across the street after you, I doubt it's going to be able to avoid fire, let alone tripping over the curb half the time.